Any way to use 612 for OTA

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I never understood why they didn't just build in an ota tuner like they used to with the 722/622/211k receivers. Would of made this whole problem a non issue right now. Better yet they could of built a small thin ota receiver that plugs into the usb connection of the hopper and be integrated into the guide and would give you two ota tuners. This box could be wireless/wired and allow you to use the internet for all ota guide information for ALL ota channels & subs channels. Kind of like the Directv ota box that fits on top of the regular hd receiver and lets you record ota channels. Then DISH could of charged the subs for an ota receiver instead of a dongle and the subs would of got two ota tuners instead of one, complete with full guide information. Everyone would be happy. They could still do this if they wanted to. They could call it the Hopper "ROO" like in Kangaroo. I give them my full permission to use my idea. So Make it so.:yes

Better yet they could of built a small thin ota receiver that plugs into the usb connection of the hopper and be integrated into the guide and would give you two ota tuners.
With the way local channel retrans fees are climbing, they just might be doing something like that, which might be part of the holdup in getting a new OTA solution.

Codename Koala. One can dream.

Yeah. If the long guide remains available even for those with no satellite locals, that would be fantastic. Even better for those of us who have no need of an extra-cost USB tuner.

Sadly, I am beginning to wonder if Dish may have decided to wash their hands of OTA, and be rid of fixing it on the H3 and supporting it in general. Especially since Scott posted he has heard nothing of any efforts to produce the dongle again. Doesn't mean they've dropped it; doesn't mean they're supporting it.

And then there's Dish's silence on the matter.

If there was a super sale on the Channel Master DVR+ for a hundred bucks, I'd snap it up.

Sadly, I am beginning to wonder if Dish may have decided to wash their hands of OTA, and be rid of fixing it on the H3 and supporting it in general. Especially since Scott posted he has heard nothing of any efforts to produce the dongle again. Doesn't mean they've dropped it; doesn't mean they're supporting it.

And then there's Dish's silence on the matter.

If there was a super sale on the Channel Master DVR+ for a hundred bucks, I'd snap it up.
Maybe it is time for you to begin looking at used Tivos.

REALLY disliked their UI when I dealt with it years ago. Cutesy. Recording stuff "it" thought you'd like (yes, I know it can be turned off). S L O W. Probably better today, but I just can't get that sour taste out of my mouth.

And I just don't like the company, nor do I think they'll be in the hardware business much longer. Or maybe, any business.

SOLD???
He actually got someone to PAY that much?

Heck, I'll sell one of my used ones for $150, a "significant" savings!

Any takers?

Thought not.

I hope no one's desperate enough to spend that, especially with the ota recording issues.

Any takers? Thought not.

If you look at that ebay link, there were apparently SIX folks who WERE desperate enough to spend that. :confused:

Ya know what...I think I'll list mine, if only for the sake of all the Dish OTA folks who have H3s. I guarantee, the very next day AFTER I give up on mine and sold it because of the H3 recording issues, Dish would go public with software that fixed the H3 Recording problems. :D

SOLD???
He actually got someone to PAY that much?

Heck, I'll sell one of my used ones for $150, a "significant" savings!

Any takers?

Thought not.

Heck I would sell a barely used one for $125.00 :) Right now

With the way local channel retrans fees are climbing, they just might be doing something like that, which might be part of the holdup in getting a new OTA solution.

Codename Koala. One can dream.

I thought since the channel master ota dvr was built by Echostar anyway, why couldn't they do a thinner version that works like I said and plug it into the hopper anyway. With internet connection you have guide for up to a couple of weeks. I think this would work great as an add on receiver component for our hoppers. Hell they could even do software that enables the channel master dvr to work with the hopper. The only thing is that they need to be able to sell it for a lot less than the do now.

www.echostar.com/ProductsAndServices/videoandbroadcast/Set-Topboxes/technology.aspx

Maybe it is time for you to begin looking at used Tivos.

Hmm, I hate to say this, (since I have 2 OTA Roamios myself) but Tivo is now having LOTS of it's own EPG problems, from very recently switching their guide data provider to Rovi: (of COURSE they did this, since Rovi now owns Tivo :rolleyes: )

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=542752

My own Tivo's are having various issues like so many other users; I'm not sure if they'll EVER get it back as good as it was with TMS (Tribune) listings.
Many of us including myself, got NO notice whatsoever this was going to happen...only a message that our Tivo's had NO guide data left to record stuff! :mad:
And because my Tivo's "just always work", I don't "babysit" their activity & therefore it never occurred that something like this would happen.

If I was looking now, I would sure wait & see how this all shakes out, before I would even consider going with a Tivo now...used or otherwise.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)