Any word on ATSC 3.0 tuners for either...

Just beware that the Hd Homerun 4k Flex is unable to natively transcode AC4 audio (the format inexplicably used by many ATSC 3.0 broadcasters) to the more standard AC3 that most TV sets can decode. Instead, Silicon Dust (makers of the HD Homeruns) is apparently offering some kind of cloud-based transcoding service that will (in theory transparently to the user) transcode the AC4 audio. Of course the implications of that are that if your internet connection goes down you lose the ability to watch TV, or if the network is congested and the round trip for the audio takes a while you could be several seconds behind everyone else. But the bigger issue is that if they are sending the audio to be transcoded, what else are they sending? Maybe they are building a nice record of your viewing habits? In theory they could know every channel you tuned to, and when and how long you were tuned to it. If you don't like Dish Network or DirecTV or your local cable company because they track what you watch, now this device may be doing the same.

Although that said, part of the whole point of ATSC 3.0 was so broadcasters could know where you are and what you are watching. If you thought it was to give you a better TV signal, silly you, that's just the carrot they are using to get people to upgrade. The real reason they want to go to ATSC 3.0 is to target advertising based on your location and viewing habits. But still, I'd much rather have the audio transcoding built into the HDHomerun device itself as opposed to relying on some cloud-based service and a possibly flaky (especially during prime time) internet connection.

If your TV or receiver can decode Dolby Atmos then I think it will be able to decode the AC4 audio without the need for transcoding but unless you have fairly new equipment it probably won't have Dolby Atmos built in. If ffmpeg ever supports AC4 decoding (there is a forked version out there that supposedly does but getting it installed may be beyond the capability of most users), you could run the output of the HD Homerun into a computer running Tvheadend and then pipe the audio through ffmpeg to decode it to AC3. But, a new major update of ffmpeg just came out, and AC4 decoding was nowhere to be seen, so I am not holding my breath on that one.

• Haha
Reactions: primestar31 and TRG
Man you must have terrible internet.

I can count on one hand how many times my internet has gone down over the year. In fact when I think of it I don’t even need hands as the number is zero.

Love my HDHomeRun prime. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man you must have terrible internet.

I live in a rural area, and it's Charter. Need I say more?

It could be worse. Some people not too far from me can only get satellite "broadband" (I put that in quotes because the speeds are atrocious), and their service goes out any time there is a heavy rain, or there is too much snow on the dish or LNB. And some of them are not even good candidates for Starlink because they are surrounded by trees.

I live in a rural area, and it's Charter. Need I say more?

It could be worse. Some people not too far from me can only get satellite "broadband" (I put that in quotes because the speeds are atrocious), and their service goes out any time there is a heavy rain, or there is too much snow on the dish or LNB. And some of them are not even good candidates for Starlink because they are surrounded by trees.

Ahh when you said Charter you said it all.

My condolences.

Nope.

ONLY available ATSC 3.0 tuner so far, is an Hd Homerun 4k Flex. Though Tablo has just announced a 4 tuner ATSC 3.0 dvr, direct-connect via HDMI, pre-orders are being taken now for release in about two months. Everything else is up in the air to date.
Maybe I'll just wait it out until both TiVo gets one and Dish gets a dongle capable of it. But I heard it's easier to get a signal farther away with it and I would love to receive the Twin Cities more often (considering I heard they are getting ATSC 3.0 soon).

Ahh when you said Charter you said it all.

My condolences.

My apartment building is stuck with Spectrum right now but we have another cable provider in town, Metronet, but they are currently working on other apartment buildings in town and I have to wait until they get to my building. As to when that will happen, not a clue. But I sure would love to have fiber optic internet.

I believe TiVo is getting out of the hardware business to concentrate on selling their software.

As far as I know, my OTA antenna is not set up for OTA transmitting and I never connect my TV to the network. Might have to with 3.o, but will hold off until the end.