Any Word On Setanta Sport??

tkorcal said:
I dont know if you have the 180 package but this include fox soccer channel and gol tv. I pretty much watch soccer 24- 7 between these two channels. Recording Chelsea VS Man u this morning.

Unlike most people here I want Setanta for their australian rules football coverage. i don't care for soccer. fox soccer channel used to have aussie rules but this season they let setanta take the coverage so they could focus on soccer.

shanks909 said:
That's for UK rights only. Premiership will still be on FSC next year.

Is FSC's Premiership deal exclusive? I could see where it would have been because of the incestuous relationship between FSC and Sky Sports / BSkyB (all owned by Rupert), but I wonder if Setanta's deal might allow them some American distribution rights?

Then again, Setanta's Champions League and Coca-Cola Championship offerings are direct feeds from Sky, so who knows exactly how this will all shake out.

Regardless, I still want Setanta on Dish. Seeing Eddie Lewis keep Leeds alive yesterday would've been nice.. even if it was for Leeds. :)

UPDATE:

According to the guys at World Soccer Daily, Fox and Setanta view each other as "partners" and not competitors. While Setanta did win the Package C and D rights to the EPL in Britain, those matches will continue to be shown on Fox Soccer Channel. The Monday night 8pm match will continue to be shown on FSC. This according to World Soccer Daily, of whom Setanta is one of their sponsors and they talked to Setanta with regards to this yesterday.

One interesting note is that Setanta does plan on bidding against ESPN for the USA and Canada broadcast rights to the Champions League the next time those are up for bidding.

Again, more reasons that I want Setanta.

Last edited:
I think there's a possibility Setanta will get some EPL games starting in the 2007-2008 season....they've become quite big players over the last several years.

Just FYI: I was looking for the League 1 and 2 Playoff matches on Setanta. They had both of the League 1 ones scheduled a few days ago but since then they seemed to have pulled the Brentford v Swansea match. So I e-mailed them and a very nice woman named Jessica replied and told me that Setanta indeed had pulled Brentford v Swansea because they had a Celtic League Rugby match to air, which they felt was "more popular".

Now of course many of you may not care about the UK Lower Leagues or about one playoff series, and more generally you might not care about football at all. But for those of you who would subscribe to Setanta for the soccer you should take a look at their schedules on-line. They do seem to be emphasizing Rugby/GAA at the expense of football and apparently are only too willing to do so to even a greater degree. I really don't know what next year will bring.

Of course, this is all their decision. But for those of you who thought Setanta was going to respect their football interests, you might be disappointed. Again, I know it's only one Playoff series but they AT LEAST could broadcast it delayed, you know, @3AM so I could use my ReplayTV. :)

=NLK=

Is there any chance that FSC would, or could, get the rights to air the CocaCola Championship games along with the Premiership, or at least the playoff games towards the end that determine promotion to the Prem?

jollygrunt said:
Is there any chance that FSC would, or could, get the rights to air the CocaCola Championship games along with the Premiership, or at least the playoff games towards the end that determine promotion to the Prem?

Nope. Setanta has the rights to the C3 and Fox has no desire to air a "second tier" league. Guess that explains why the MLS is no longer on Fox Soccer Channel. *rimshot*

Also, with regards to Setanta and showing Celtic/GAA events, you have to remember that Setanta *is* an Irish company so they do have an emphasis on Irish events at times. However, they do show a ton of football including the C3 and, most importantly, multiple Champions League matches per match day.

Plus, as noted earlier, it's not just football that people want. Since Fox Sports World switched over to being Fox Soccer Channel, Setanta is now the only source for Rugby (Super 14 and Six Nations), Aussie Rules Football and other sports that have their audiences.

If Dish offers Setanta as an a la carte then it's good for all. I just want them to offer it.

EvilEuro said:
Nope. Setanta has the rights to the C3 and Fox has no desire to air a "second tier" league. Guess that explains why the MLS is no longer on Fox Soccer Channel. *rimshot*

Nice.

EvilEuro said:
Also, with regards to Setanta and showing Celtic/GAA events, you have to remember that Setanta *is* an Irish company so they do have an emphasis on Irish events at times. However, they do show a ton of football including the C3 and, most importantly, multiple Champions League matches per match day.

Well your view of this will of course be tinged by your preference in sports, but showing "a ton" of matches doesn't make a worthwhile channel. I invite people to look at Setanta NA's schedule: I would estimate that, of the non-exhibition, first-run programming that you can't get on other channels only about 30% is football. The schedule took a big dive (football-wise only) after the New Year and a good part of the football Setanta shows now consists of ManUTV and ChelseaTV reruns of EPL matches you can see on FSC live. Still, the stuff you couldn't get elsewhere (SPL, Coca-Cola League, a few Cup matches) were worth the $12/month to me. Unfortunately Setanta have, in their own words, determined that football will take second place to Rugby, et al. (at least on Setanta NA) so that should a good soccer match a fan expected to see run up against a contest in one of those sports, it would be bumped. This basically pushes me (and, I would venture to say, many other soccer fans) to the point where the extra money for Setanta isn't worth it. Of course, YMMV.

Plus, as noted earlier, it's not just football that people want. Since Fox Sports World switched over to being Fox Soccer Channel, Setanta is now the only source for Rugby (Super 14 and Six Nations), Aussie Rules Football and other sports that have their audiences.

Absolutely. I'm just speaking from the perspective of a football fan and trying to give others of my ilk a heads up in case they were thinking of asking for, and subscring to, Setanta.

If Dish offers Setanta as an a la carte then it's good for all. I just want them to offer it.

If bandwidth were costless, absolutely. Otherwise, it would be great for AFL, Rugby, etc. fans and I wish them all the luck in the world in getting it. It's up to Dish to decide if the demand is there.

=NLK=

tkorcal said:
I believe that espn has rights to mls games after they air on mls direct kick. Which the mls wants us all to buy to see those games.

Actually, up until this year, the MLS *paid* ESPN to air their matches. Fox Soccer Channel gave them the airtime for free. After ESPN paid for MLS rights this year, the MLS went to FSC and basically said, "ESPN is paying us to show matches, how about you pay us too?" FSC basically laughed at the MLS because MLS draws flies for ratings.

Now most of the MLS clubs have deals with their local Fox Sports regional channel. However, FSC no longer has rights to air matches nationally.

MLS... too stupid for their own good.

Now that being said... give me my Setanta!!

I tried watching an MLS game Saturday( Houston v. Dallas), but it just couldn't hold my interest at all.

I watched Sky Sports news later on, and they showed highlights of a bunch of League 1 & League 2 playoff matches I would've loved to have seen. Even the Rugby highlights looked interesting.

I hope DISH offers Setanta soon.

I'd want Setanta if they played more EPL matches since I have absolutely no interest in SPL. Anybody know why exactly Setanta is doing less EPL coverage and much, much more SPL? Did someone else get the rights Setanta used to have or is Setanta just airing other matches in the same time slot? I like ESPN Deportes' coverage of Champions League over Setanta's so they have some work to do on that. I don't understand Spanish too well but ESPN Deportes' coverage of CL is pretty good!

jollygrunt said:
I tried watching an MLS game Saturday( Houston v. Dallas), but it just couldn't hold my interest at all.
I couldn't agree more. MLS is the worst club league I've even tried to watch. Poor skill, poor ball control, barely even any chances to finish let alone many goals. In a good league, a 0-0 draw keeps you glued to your seat. In a poor league, even a 4-3 game can't get me to watch.

SummitAdvantageRetailer said:
I'd want Setanta if they played more EPL matches since I have absolutely no interest in SPL. Anybody know why exactly Setanta is doing less EPL coverage and much, much more SPL? Did someone else get the rights Setanta used to have or is Setanta just airing other matches in the same time slot? I like ESPN Deportes' coverage of Champions League over Setanta's so they have some work to do on that. I don't understand Spanish too well but ESPN Deportes' coverage of CL is pretty good!

Until last week, Setanta had no rights to televise the EPL. Sky Sports had an exclusive deal for the airing of live EPL football.

As of last week and starting next season, Setanta will have the rights to the C and D package of football matches from the EPL. I believe those include the 5pm Saturday matches and the 8pm Monday night matches. However, that deal was for domestic rights only and I don't know how that affects FSC's coverage because the US rights are a completely different matter.

I want Setanta for more than just the football coverage, although that's an attractive part of the package. I want it mostly for Champions League coverage, which is directly from Sky and includes their prematch, halftime and postmatch coverage.

I actually have nothing against ESPN's coverage other than they don't show enough matches and try to make me feel "lucky" if they show two matches per week. During early match days Setanta will show three CL matches per match day, including a live one that ESPN isn't showing plus delayed matches. Also, I'm still ticked over ESPN not showing one of the semifinal legs each week. That was just lame.

I still want the channel in a bad, bad way.

SummitAdvantageRetailer said:
I'd want Setanta if they played more EPL matches since I have absolutely no interest in SPL. Anybody know why exactly Setanta is doing less EPL coverage and much, much more SPL? Did someone else get the rights Setanta used to have or is Setanta just airing other matches in the same time slot?
Setanta USA doesn't have EPL rights for the U.S. They only have the rights on re-run Man U and Chelsea games thru' MUTV and Chelsea TV, via a deal stuck with Fox Sports International.

They have the rights of Rangers and Celtic games in the U.S. They air these two teams live in the weekends thru' Setanta close-circuit. These games are subscribed by Rangers and Celtic Supporters Associations throughout North America. And Setanta retain the delay rights for Setanta Sports USA (the $12/month channel). They used to fork out the SPL delay rights to Fox Sports World and even as late as the 2004-05 season, to Fox Sports World Canada.

Your chance of watching an SPL game not involving Rangers or Celtic, something like Hearts vs Kilmarnock, is almost none.

EvilEuro said:
Also, I'm still ticked over ESPN not showing one of the semifinal legs each week. That was just lame.

I would be very ticked if ESPN shows both games on the semi-final. I pay $12/month for Setanta USA exactly for the privileges of watching Barcelona X Milan that you guys can't watch it for free on ESPN2 (after paying your cable bill).

If Setanta charge us $12/month but everyone with basic cable can watch Barcelona X Milan, that would be ultra-lame...

rangers00 said:
-snip-

Your chance of watching an SPL game not involving Rangers or Celtic, something like Hearts vs Kilmarnock, is almost none.

I'm afraid (respectfully :)) that you're wrong on this one. I've watched many SPL games on Setanta this season involving Aberdeen, Hearts, Dundee United, Kilmarnock, Hibernian, Livingston, etc. I would venture to say I've watched games involving ALL the SPL teams, albeit on a delayed basis. Some Tennent's cup matches (including the Final Hearts v. Gretna) were carried live. If you like SPL then (assuming Rugby/Hurling/GAA didn't interfere) Setanta was your source. Don't know how it will be next year, though.

=NLK=

nlk10010 said:
I'm afraid (respectfully :)) that you're wrong on this one. I've watched many SPL games on Setanta this season involving Aberdeen, Hearts, Dundee United, Kilmarnock, Hibernian, Livingston, etc. I would venture to say I've watched games involving ALL the SPL teams, albeit on a delayed basis.

I've watched games involving ALL the SPL teams. All the teams you mentioned, I've watched in SPL coverage:

Aberdeen X Celtic, Aberdeen X Rangers
Hearts X Celtic, Hearts X Rangers
Dundee United X Celtic, Dundee United X Rangers
Kilmarnock X Celtic, Kilmarnock X Rangers
Hibernian X Celtic, Hibernian X Rangers

The question is, have you watched a game like Hibernian X Dundee United? Aberdeen X Livingston?

AFAIR, I've seen one SPL game not involving Celtic or Rangers. I think it's the Edinburgh derby.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts