Any Word On Setanta Sport??

rangers00 said:
I've watched games involving ALL the SPL teams. All the teams you mentioned, I've watched in SPL coverage:

Aberdeen X Celtic, Aberdeen X Rangers
Hearts X Celtic, Hearts X Rangers
Dundee United X Celtic, Dundee United X Rangers
Kilmarnock X Celtic, Kilmarnock X Rangers
Hibernian X Celtic, Hibernian X Rangers

The question is, have you watched a game like Hibernian X Dundee United? Aberdeen X Livingston?

AFAIR, I've seen one SPL game not involving Celtic or Rangers. I think it's the Edinburgh derby.

Oh, I see your point. Well, you certainly COULD be right but I'm almost POSITIVE I saw a number of games not involving either Celtic or Rangers (you know, NOT Celtics and NOT Rangers). Certainly the Tennent's Cup matches, but those are special cases.

SPL is over and Setanta's past schedule is unavailable (to me at least) so I guess there's no way to know for sure. But if I had to bet money on it......

=NLK=

Starting Friday I noticed that World Soccer Daily has started telling their listeners who have Dish Network to start emailing ceo@echostar.com to request they start Setanta. They're working on the "more power in numbers" theory. Setanta is one of their sponsors, so it's nice to see them working the email angle to get more requests for the channel in.

If it works, I'll be amazed. But odder things have happened. I know Setanta is no Lifetime... but my wife would be happier to have Setanta since she never watches Lifetime anyway. :)

According to an update I heard today, a "bigwig" at Setanta in England, they have tabled their offer to Dish for carriage and they are waiting on Dish to respond, which Dish has been slow to do. So more email to Dish.

My last email to Dish was answered by someone in CEO Escalations. I guess that's an improvement and I've moved up the peon ladder.

On today's World Soccer Daily there was an interview with Setanta's North American President, Shane O'Rourke. When asked directly about carriage on Dish Network ("What is the situation with your negotiations with Dish Network?"), he gave as good of an answer as he could give without going into proprietary information.

Basically, Setanta has offered Dish the same deal that they've got with DirecTV for carriage. Apparently Dish is "not happy with it". However, Setanta and DirecTV are already over their own figures so far as subscribers.

He did say that while he couldn't give an exact date, he wouldn't be surprised to see Setanta on Dish within the next six months. He said it could be as soon as three weeks, but more than likely not that soon and instead some time in the next six months.

I think that's as good of a source for an update as we're going to get. And with that information in hand, I now send more email to Dish.

Lets keep our fingers crossed.
Dish needs to make a desicion before the start of the foot ball season.

I am excited I will be watching the World Cup in HD. However, I would rather pay $50 and watch it with English commentators who know about football instead of bloody baseball.

Hell, if Setanta also carried Snooker and Darts it would be like have Sky Sports at home.

When I came to the US in 1990 there was no football on TV and now lots, we have come a long way. The days have gone when I had Video tapes shipped from across the pond to watch my Man Utd and Leicester City games.

Thank you, Setanta, Fox Soccer Channel and Gol TV for all the coverage you provide. I should also thank ESPN2 and ABC also.

mruk69 said:
Lets keep our fingers crossed.
Dish needs to make a desicion before the start of the foot ball season.

I am excited I will be watching the World Cup in HD. However, I would rather pay $50 and watch it with English commentators who know about football instead of bloody baseball.
You would be very disappointed by Setanta. Setanta's commentators for the World Cup are probably very knowledgeable about fussball, but they'll deliver it in German.

ESPN/ABC owns the English rights in the U.S. Setanta owns many other languages, and they choose to broadcast the German one, and sublicense the other ones to ethnic channels (Farsi and Korean).

If you want British commentaries, BBC or ITV, you should do what I do: get a Canadian DBS. In the J/K World Cup, the Canadian stations (TSN and CBC) simply used the British feeds. That's how I'll watch my World Cup: on Canadian channels, commentaries from Martin Tyler and Andy Gray...

Tyler and Gray are both employed by SKY...If TSN or Sportsnet DO use the british commentary, it will most likely be via BBC or ITV as in the past.

I wouldn't be surprised if TSN used the ESPN commentators, since they own a large chunk of TSN.

Guess we'll wait and see.....

I have a well-placed source with Setanta conenctions who has confirmed to me that there will be NO English Premier League PPV package this year and those matches will be going to Setanta Sports Channel. Setanta will also be getting Dutch Eredivisie and and French Ligue 1 matches.

Better start writing more emails to Setanta. I'd much rather pay $12 a month than the $300 I shelled out for last year's EPL PPV package.

Wow, I just posted a question about the EPL PPV games and what was happening this year in the Sports Forum. I really hope that they get a deal done with Dish.

I hope Dish has a deal done before the EPL season begins, but I think with the addition of the EPL to Setanta, this will entice Dish to get a deal done.

jollygrunt said:
Now that the World Cup is over is there any further news regarding Setanta Sports?

The news is E* still don't have Setanta and the rest is posted above.

Everyone that wants to watch more EPL than what's going to be on FSC this upcoming season need to contact DISH!!!

EvilEuro said:
I have a well-placed source with Setanta conenctions who has confirmed to me that there will be NO English Premier League PPV package this year and those matches will be going to Setanta Sports Channel. Setanta will also be getting Dutch Eredivisie and and French Ligue 1 matches.

Better start writing more emails to Setanta. I'd much rather pay $12 a month than the $300 I shelled out for last year's EPL PPV package.

Man, bars with DirecTV installed are going to be happy that bars with DISH won't be able to tune into EPL matches except on FSC. No more EPL PPV for commercial DISH customers, too, right?

I don't know aobut the commercial PPV, but I imagine that since Setanta holds the rights to those matches that they're not going to be farmed out, period, to Dish. Might be a chip for them to hold over Dish as a way of getting them to carry the channel.

All I know is that now that the World Cup is over it's time for people who want Setanta (and it's more than just for the football crowd) then it's time to start doubling up on the emails to Chuckie.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)