Any Word On Setanta Sport??

This a.m. I read the monthly schedule for soccer/football league matches and Setanta sports has killed Fox! This is very unusual as Fox outbid for Nascar,American football,PGA next year,baseball and others,but will take a back seat on this.Too bad,will again miss championship div and Serie A.C'mon Charlie.

Setanta didn't outbid Fox for the Premiership. They actually worked together on how they were going to do things. The schedule, over the course of time, will even out for both networks.

Example -- after not being able to see any of Manchester United's first three matches on Fox because they were all on Setanta, the next three United matches are all available to Dish Network subscribers through either FSC or ESPN2. This Saturday's match between Utd and Spurs is on FSC as the tea time kick off, a window which is exclusive to FSC. Wednesday's Champions League match with Celtic at Old Trafford is on ESPN2, though I wonder if it'll be in HD? And then Sunday's marquee matchup with Arsenal is also on FSC as they have exclusive rights to the Sunday 4pm kickoff matches.

In the end it'll all even out... but the facts are that those of us who are fans of the Big Three + Chelsea want to see ALL of our team's matches and that requires both Setanta and Fox.

Time for more fun emails to Eric Sahl.

EvilEuro said:
Wednesday's Champions League match with Celtic at Old Trafford is on ESPN2, though I wonder if it'll be in HD?

Does not look like it ...

EvilEuro said:
those of us who are fans of the Big Three + Chelsea want to see ALL of our team's matches and that requires both Setanta and Fox.

Time for more fun emails to Eric Sahl.

Have not missed a game yet so far this season .. the ITVN setup is fantastic and I'm so glad i pulled the trigger and ordered it when i did ... looks like Dish will do something about it around the time the end of the season comes around.

I emailed Eric Sahl earlier this week and asked if there is any substance to a possible launch of Sept. 15th. (I might as well ask). His was response was "Still in negotiations".

If it was due to launch on the 15th wouldn't we have heard something by now?

Of course not. If they intend to launch on Sept. 15th, they'll let the pertinent parties know but not announce to a John Doe like you or I. That'd spoil the surprise for the rest of the E* football fans.

But I sort of doubt that it's coming on Sep. 15th because of today's uplink report did not mention that Setanta was uplinked as one of thousands of changes today. If it's to come to Setanta, I'd think that it'd have been uplinked by today for next week's launch.

[EDIT]: Hundreds of changes today, not thousands. Sorry. :D

Last edited:
Scott Greczkowski said:
I heard talks have stalled.

Look at Eric Stahl's own writings. It went from good news soon til Mid September.

I am not versed on EPL, but doesnt the league only last few a few months? I thought it ended in September. (I might be wrong)

I am not pimping ITVN just because we get money for each person that signs up. While that is nice I am pimping it because of the Technology and how good it is, and because it has the service you guys are begging for and whining because you don't have it yet.

Sometimes if you really want something then you need to go get it, you can't sit on your hands and hope some guy in a suit in an office in denver does it for you.

if you are a true fan of EPL you will do what you need to do to see the games.

I invite everyone to try ITVN for themselves free for 30 days, you will amazed with the technology, I have said this before this is the future of Television. (Hell even Dish Network thinks so, what do you think the ethernet port is for on the VIP series of receivers) :)

I should also note that I would probably still pimp ITVN even we were not getting money from them, its great technology and it has what you are looking for today and the best part is you dont need to change Satellite providers.

Can you tell me if it is possible to hook an ITVN box to my DVR?? I think its a 522

Scott....can one hook up the ITVN box to a VCR? I would like to be able to keep the ITVN box turned to Setanta when I go to bed, then have the VCR turn on and record games that are on at 5:30 am, or just games I can't watch live in general.

Update from Eirc Sahl

Just sent an email to Eric Sahl and received this reply, doesn't look good......
+++++++++++++++++++++++
Sent: Friday, September 08, 2006 9:06 AM
To: Sahl, Eric
Subject: Setanta Sports

Hello Eric,

Has there been any progress made with putting Setanta Sports on Dish Network? There are many of us who are still waiting to watch these EPL matches, and would rather subscribe via Dish, than go with ITVN or GlobeCast. Can you please give a status report?

Thank you,

DISH customer

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
His reply;

Negotiations are not going as well, still major issues to overcome, could be several weeks.

Eric Sahl

Senior Vice President, Programming

EchoStar Satellite LLC

yaz96 said:
Just sent an email to Eric Sahl and received this reply, doesn't look good......
+++++++++++++++++++++++
Sent: Friday, September 08, 2006 9:06 AM
To: Sahl, Eric
Subject: Setanta Sports

Hello Eric,

Has there been any progress made with putting Setanta Sports on Dish Network? There are many of us who are still waiting to watch these EPL matches, and would rather subscribe via Dish, than go with ITVN or GlobeCast. Can you please give a status report?

Thank you,

DISH customer

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
His reply;

Negotiations are not going as well, still major issues to overcome, could be several weeks.

Eric Sahl

Senior Vice President, Programming

EchoStar Satellite LLC

I'm guessing that he could have written 'if at all' at the end of that sentence!

Reading between the lines, I'm guessing the scenario is as follows:

Setanta - 'Well Mr. Ergen. here is the deal - it's the same as DirecTV signed'
Charlie - 'That's no good, I want a 'special' deal for DISH!'
Setanta - 'I'm sorry, we can't do that!'
Charlie - 'Well stuff you then!'
Setanta - 'What about your customers, don't you care that they want our channel'
Charlie - 'NO, I'm special!'

I obviously could be paraphrasing here and there :p

Bastards....I still maintain that if Dish doesn't have Setanta by Oct. 1, I am signing up with ITVN, now that I know I can record the programming to VHS. What in the world can they still be talking about? The deal seems pretty cut and dry to me, so I am wondering what are the major issues? I am sure Charlie has a bug up his ass about not getting a better deal than everyone else.

When Dish finally thinks it is worth moving on, I will subscribe through them, in the meantime, the countdown is on for ITVN.

mr_snerdly said:
Bastards....I still maintain that if Dish doesn't have Setanta by Oct. 1, I am signing up with ITVN, now that I know I can record the programming to VHS. What in the world can they still be talking about? The deal seems pretty cut and dry to me, so I am wondering what are the major issues? I am sure Charlie has a bug up his ass about not getting a better deal than everyone else.

When Dish finally thinks it is worth moving on, I will subscribe through them, in the meantime, the countdown is on for ITVN.

Yep, totally agree - if, as I've read somewhere else that Setanta have offered the same deal to DISH as they offered to DirecTV (and why would they do any different?) then indeed WTF are they 'discussing' it's either YES or NO.

Interestingly I just sent this question over to Eric Sahl at DISH:

I understand from an online forum that things are not going well with the DISH/Setanta negotiations – cards on the table, no BS, is this ever really going to happen? I need to know in order to make alternative (i.e. ITVN) arrangements before the bloody season ends! A lot of us DISH Network footy fans have been hanging on in the hope that it would happen shortly, but I get the feeling that we are being strung along here…

To which I got the following reply:

"there are no certainties, we are trying my best to get a fair deal" :(

Sounds like it's dead in the water to me, probably thanks to Charlie boy's pigheadedness

I got tired of waiting and signed up for IVTN. I am about two weeks from the cutoff point for the Free Trial. If Dish does not add Setanta by then I will be keeping ITVN as I will be locked in for the year.

I have now hooked it up to a VCR for recording and it works although I would much rather use my VIP622 with Dish.

I have e-mailed Dish twice this week about Setanta. The first time I was told the following:

"In reference to Setanta Sports. That channel is available to commercial entities only, until that changes and agreements are reached we will not be able top provide it to our residential customers. "

My follow up e-mail was to remind them that directv offers Setanta. The reply, "At this time we are still negotiating the status of the Setanta distribution restrictions".

I understand that they can't really tell us what is going on, but i will be disgusted if they add the channel in three months and it is the exact same deal as Directv.

Well, as has been said before, when Dish eventually signs SSC to a carriage agreement it is going to be for the exact same terms as DirecTV receives as SSC is contractually bound to such terms as part of their carriage agreement with DirecTV.

Knowing that I fail to see what the holdup is other than Dish trying to get something that SSC can't possibly give.

For Mr. Snerdly and anyone trying to TIVO / VCR SSC - If you just leave the box running and don't make any channel changes, etc., then it appears that the box goes into a sleep mode after some unspecified amount of time. This would be at least a few hours though, as I will watch an entire match without touching the remote at all and have no problems. But if I switch back to Dish and then to the input that I have ITVN on after about 4 hours or so, I have a black screen with a floating ITVN logo on it. This goes away as soon as I hit the remote and I'm again presented with the "launch" button for SSC.

Just something to take into consideration if you plan on leaving the box on and set to SSC during the middle of the night to record the early morning matches or something while you're at work.

ITVN sucks

Being a huge Liverpool fanand dish customer I noted that ITVN seemed to be the only option for me to see all the games I wanted too. So i got it , i have high speed internet yet the picture sucks! Today during the awful merseyside derby the feed was lost at least 15 times so please don't think taping on VHS will work you have to be there to reload . I think I will return this sh*ty system and just hope and pray dish gets with the program.
:confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)