Any Word On Setanta Sport??

JHCGB said:
i have high speed internet yet the picture sucks! Today during the awful merseyside derby the feed was lost at least 15 times so please don't think taping on VHS will work you have to be there to reload .

Did you setup port triggering ?
The picture and feed is just fine ...
when there are problems it is generally down to your ISP.
Shame people don'y understand that and immediately blame ITVN.

As of today - Sept. 11, the standard reply from DISH keeps coming when asked about adding Setanta:

"Thank you for your email. We continue to look at adding Setanta Sports
Channel to our lineup. At this time, I cannot comment any further on
pending discussions regarding this issue. I apologize if this causes
any inconvenience.

Sincerely,
Jennifer Schuyler
CEO Escalations
Jennifer.Schuyler@echostar.com"

In other words.... don't hold your breath.

Dude,

Try Eric Sahl at Eric.Sahl@echostar.com, at least you'll get a real response, not that it will anything more positive. If, as it seems Setanta contractualy can only offer DISH the same deal as DirecTV, then what are all the discussions about, either DISH add the channel or they don't. It's all guesswork, but the feeling around the forums is that DISH (or more precisely, Charlie) are trying to get a better deal, but if Setanta cannot offer that deal without breaking their contract with DirecTV which Setanta are probably unwilling (and rightly so, as DirecTV were the first company to sign up with Setanta) to do, then what happens? My guess (and I hope I'm wrong) is that DISH will not be adding Setanta anytime soon. Charlie appears to be a stubborn SOB, who would rather lose a few customers and piss off a bunch more than lose face. In the words of the Metallica song "Sad, but true" :(

EvilEuro said:
Well, as has been said before, when Dish eventually signs SSC to a carriage agreement it is going to be for the exact same terms as DirecTV receives as SSC is contractually bound to such terms as part of their carriage agreement with DirecTV.

Knowing that I fail to see what the holdup is other than Dish trying to get something that SSC can't possibly give.

For Mr. Snerdly and anyone trying to TIVO / VCR SSC - If you just leave the box running and don't make any channel changes, etc., then it appears that the box goes into a sleep mode after some unspecified amount of time. This would be at least a few hours though, as I will watch an entire match without touching the remote at all and have no problems. But if I switch back to Dish and then to the input that I have ITVN on after about 4 hours or so, I have a black screen with a floating ITVN logo on it. This goes away as soon as I hit the remote and I'm again presented with the "launch" button for SSC.

Just something to take into consideration if you plan on leaving the box on and set to SSC during the middle of the night to record the early morning matches or something while you're at work.

I just e-mailed the following to Eric Sahl:

Eric,

I appreciate the correspondence, I really do, but I can’t see that there will ever be a breakthrough if, as I’ve read that Setanta are obliged to offer the same deal to other providers as they offered to DirecTV. If that is indeed the case then you have an impasse, unless Mr. Egren eats humble pie and accepts what’s on offer – unlikely, given what I’ve heard about him! Does he realize how many people he is seriously pissing off? I guess though that a few soccer fans aren’t that significant to him?

And got the following reply:

Its not as you see it and there are other issues in play.

So not sure what to make of it all, unless Eric is yanking our chain?? :confused:

I think this statement summary from the Charlie Chat last night spells bad news for Setanta:

"Process on all new channels:
Does the channel fit the needs of our customers?
Do we have capacity on our satellites?
Can we strike a fair deal?

NFL Network and Oxygen were heavily requested and added this year. Demand is not as high for any other channel."

On the plus side, there was this little tidbit of "news" from ESPN during the Liverpool - PSV Eindhoven match today.

ESPN will be giving an extra English language match each match day during the Champions League this season. Today they will show Liverpool - PSV live on ESPN2 and then at 2pm PST (15 minutes after the end of the Liverpool - PSV match) they will show the Barçelona - Levski Sofia match on ESPN Classic. This is essentially what Setanta will be doing later today in showing the same Barça - Sofia match on delay as well as Galatasaray - Bordeaux.

Tomorrow ESPN will be showing Manchester United v. Celtic live at 1145AM PST while Setanta will show Arsenal v. Hamburg as its live match. Both channels will show Real Madrid v. Lyon at 2PM PST (ESPN Classic and Setanta) and Setanta's bonus match will be the diving, cheating bastards from FC Porto v. CSKA Moscow.

So we're getting an extra match per day from ESPN. Sure, it's not in HD, but nothing they're offering for the Champions League apart from the final is in HD, so that's a moot point.

Still would be nice to have Setanta though. I miss being able to skip back during matches, pause stuff and just record sh*t I want to watch. I appreciate the service ITVN is giving, but sports on "good quality VHS" video feeds leaves a lot to be desired.

One other note of importantce that is football related but not Setanta related. ESPN2 will be having a weekly Champions League wrap-up show that will air on Fridays of weeks where there is Champions League play at 11AM PST. Nice little one hour show to wrap everything up and preview the next set of matches as well.

Again, not Setanta related... but might as well keep the football related material here.

EvilEuro said:
and Setanta's bonus match will be the diving, cheating bastards from FC Porto v. CSKA Moscow.

Let me guess, FC Porto beat your sh*t ass team.... :rolleyes:

And no, I'm not an FC Porto fan but I am portuguese. Go Sporting!!!!

It seems the discussion has died down concerning Setanta. Anyone still interested?

I had given ITVN a try, but found that the picture kept buffering. I worked with a service tech to set up my router but there was still problems. Possibly from my Broadband Provider.

I ended up returning it because my month was almost up and I did not want to be locked in for a year.

I was also unhappy with the overall picture quality. :( I am sure they will improve it in the future. Maybe at that point I will try again.

I hope dish will eventually add the Service.

I too am still waiting & hoping that DISH and Setanta can work out a deal to bring us Setanta Sports and Setanta Extra. I'm more than willing to pay whatever the alacarte price would be.

Does anybody have any inside info about DISH adding setanta? Iam not getting any response from setanta. I have sent them at least 10 emails lately. DISH is sending canned responses.

There were serious rumors that something would be announced by Sept. 15th. That day came and went with nothing said. Of course E* is mum on all of their negotiations, so this and other threads have gone quiet. In the past when E* was negotiating for sports channelst that D* already had, it took about 1 year for E* to add them. I have no idea why Setanta is quiet. Ususally they were always good about responding on this topic.

In short, people are no longer holding their breathe and have gone to alternative sources to view the matches on Setanta.

Scott, or anyone else in the know...have you heard anything about Setanta? I know things can't be good, but is there any solid word as to what the problems were? Is E* crying that they can't have it at a reduced price? Is there any kind of time frame where something may be worked out?

People at Setanta are not replying to emails. Does anyone know what Eric Sahl is saying at the moment?

way to get the thread back up. Where's JL when you need him? :rolleyes:
Tell you what, I'll give Eric a call and tell him when he is ready to announce something he can use my screenname and come on here and announce.:rolleyes:

Tired of waiting for Dish I got ITVN. Decent picture a little softer than DISH but acceptable watched MU Liverpool through the East cosat server(play 2 they give you the option to choose your server). No buffering at all I have comcast cable 4100 kbps download speed . They are advertising on demand within the first 24hrs to watch the game.It is one of the options on the menu not activated yet. Make sure You have a router. Will not work with an internet switch. I found out the hardway. My router is a linksys wired . I hope this helps. I was very skeptical before switching. Good customer service.

There always has to be a smart ass. Dynamite drop in. I meant has anyone had email contact with Eirc Sahl lately? In the past he was good to send replies, but pretty much said the same thing to everyone. I wonder what he is saying currently.

I could have started a new thread, but someone would be on my ass for not asking the question on the existing thread.

way to get the thread back up. Where's JL when you need him? :rolleyes:
Tell you what, I'll give Eric a call and tell him when he is ready to announce something he can use my screenname and come on here and announce.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
No word on Setanta of Dish.

However looks like soon ITVN will offer Setanta on Demand. Meaning you can watch any game or show from the last 24 hours on demand.

Now there is no need to setup a VCR to record those early morning games. They will be there later on ITVN. :)

Setanta on demand is on as of today and so far no problems at all. Iwatched MU game over.I am using it without port triggering.No buffering at all.Happy camper.