Anybody else here have Amazon Prime pretty much for just Prime Video?

No, places like Amazon are part of the reason Sears is gone.
Well, given what a great company Sears was at one time, and had the largest catalog (in terms of sales and possibly size too) in the world, they completely lost their minds and eliminated the catalog! What were they thinking? I forget whether that happened before or after Amazon was started. But good grief. How stupid can you be to drop the catalog just as the Internet was taking off?

Well, given what a great company Sears was at one time, and had the largest catalog (in terms of sales and possibly size too) in the world, they completely lost their minds and eliminated the catalog! What were they thinking? I forget whether that happened before or after Amazon was started. But good grief. How stupid can you be to drop the catalog just as the Internet was taking off?
I think the catalog was prior to the Internet.

According to Britannica,
[Sears] discontinued its general catalog in 1993, and in 1995 it spun off its largest subsidiary, the Allstate Corporation, an insurance company founded by Sears in 1931.
Amazon was founded in 1994. There might be no Amazon today had Sears management not dropped their catalog. They could have taken over the online retailer space before Amazon got off the ground. All they had to do (obvious to me at the time) was to digitize their catalog.

Am I the only one who thinks Sears' own bad management killed Sears?

According to Britannica,

Amazon was founded in 1994. There might be no Amazon today had Sears management not dropped their catalog. They could have taken over the online retailer space before Amazon got off the ground. All they had to do (obvious to me at the time) was to digitize their catalog.

Am I the only one who thinks Sears' own bad management killed Sears?
Mr Haller hearted agrees! :)

Reactions: Foxbat and TheKrell
I'm going to have to disagree about fake/defective or just plain crap. In the past 2.5 years I've made roughly 600 purchases through Amazon. Out of all of them I returned exactly 3 items due to a problem. Couldn't ask for an easier return system, I initiated the return then just dropped the item at a UPS center and they took care of the rest. Didn't even have to pack it up. The exception was a pair of tractor tires that were the wrong size and with those UPS picked them up at my house. People shouldn't paint with such a broad brush when it comes to Amazon. Virtually everything I've purchased is the very same merchandise being sold by Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, and Ebay to mention a few. And I'll tell you another thing, I have found unique items available on Amazon that no one else carries. Just one example, when I rebuilt my front porch from the ground up this summer I was able to find rolls of self-adhesive bituminous waterproofing to overlap and waterproof all the floor joists and beams. Didn't even know it existed before finding it on Amazon.

As for Prime Video, it's my only streaming service. I have addons within Prime such as Britbox, Acorn, and PBS. Combine that with all the new original content Amazon pushes out regularly plus Thursday Night Football and it is, in my opinion, the most cost effective streaming service out there. YMMV.
I totally agree. I live on the Northern Oregon coast and we are lacking some retail stores that are available in metro areas. I am an Amazon member and have been for several years. I use Amazon a lot. I love Wishbone Russian salad dressing, but no one around here has it I got three bottles off Amazon for $2.58 a bottle! Not bad.

Reactions: TheKrell
I grew up in Tuffskins. I dearly miss what Sears was. And the Sears Christmas Wish Book was truly magical!
The women in the Sears catalog were actually far more attractive than most supermodels in my opinion. I actually noticed that a lot of regular unknown female models seem to be way more attractive than many supermodels.

NO, This hasn't happened before.

A few Major companies have NOT opened up and put millions out of business.

Standard Oil? AT&T? De Beers? American Tobacco? Walmart? Lowes and Home Depot?

How many competitors did those companies run out of business? How many downtowns are ghost towns because of malls and big box retailers? How many grocery stores went out of business or closed locations when Walmart started selling groceries? This is all the same thing where markets favor the largest companies due to their buying power, driving down their costs and allowing them to out-compete everyone and creating monopolies?

I don't like it, but that is how it works until government steps in and does something about it. In the meantime, as a customer, I have to buy from the company that has what I need.

While I do shop on Amazon every now and then and do have Amazon Prime, I do a good majority of my shopping on eBay and when I can't find it on eBay I search the internet to see if I can find what I'm looking for. And yes sometimes I find what I'm looking for on Amazon, the bulk of stuff that is tricky to find I usually find elsewhere. And yes, I know about free two day shipping that's included with my Prime membership, but it doesn't help much if they don't have what I'm looking for (not to mention that it only includes things on Amazon.com that's sold DIRECTLY from Amazon). So the real reason I have Amazon Prime is for Prime Video and there's plenty of stuff I want to watch on it. By the way, I'm not saying that there's not a good selection on Amazon.com, because there obviously is.
Amazon doesn't advertise it, but you can subscribe to just Prime Video without paying for the full Prime membership. It costs $9/mo, while full Prime costs $15/mo or $139/yr. So even if you keep Prime Video alone year-round, you're paying $108 versus $139. And if you're like a lot of folks, you can probably drop most streaming services for a few months during the year as you cycle other ones in.

Amazon doesn't advertise it, but you can subscribe to just Prime Video without paying for the full Prime membership. It costs $9/mo, while full Prime costs $15/mo or $139/yr. So even if you keep Prime Video alone year-round, you're paying $108 versus $139. And if you're like a lot of folks, you can probably drop most streaming services for a few months during the year as you cycle other ones in.

Changed it to that! Thanks for the tip!

No, places like Amazon are part of the reason Sears is gone.
Sears is the reason why Sears is gone. They didn't change with the times. We had a Sears store that was built in 85 in our mall in town. They never updated it or did anything to improve their service. One checker in the back and one other at the front. So long lines if you tried to wait in them to pay out. They closed our Sears a few years back and the rest of the Mall is half empty and one by one stores are leaving. The latest one to close was Bed Bath and Beyond.

Prime for delivery and TV= Worth It!

100% agree with you. But only if you order stuff from Amazon regularly. It is not worth it for just the Prime Video in my opinion. For half that price $4.99 a month you can get way better TV with say Peacock, Paramount, Discovery Plus. Prime costs $140 a year now = $11.67 a month. So you could get 2 of those services under that price. Now if you order things from Amazon more than 2 times a month it pays for it (the month) right there in savings on ship costs. Most folks dont understand how much shipping costs are these days. UPS/USPS/Fedex. To ship a 2 oz bubble mailer via USPS cost over $4.25 these days. But back to Prime Video you also get TV and Movies (sometimes some really good movies). You also get NFL Thursday Night Football (15 Games exclusively on Prime in 2022). Plus The Rings Of Power and other Amazon Originals. Plus Amazon Music, and more stuff i dont know too much about.

Sears is the reason why Sears is gone. They didn't change with the times. We had a Sears store that was built in 85 in our mall in town. They never updated it or did anything to improve their service. One checker in the back and one other at the front. So long lines if you tried to wait in them to pay out. They closed our Sears a few years back and the rest of the Mall is half empty and one by one stores are leaving. The latest one to close was Bed Bath and Beyond.
The Sears in my area was always great and innovative until Kmart bought them out. After Kmart bought Sears out, both Kmart AND Sears went downhill big time.

100% agree with you. But only if you order stuff from Amazon regularly. It is not worth it for just the Prime Video in my opinion. For half that price $4.99 a month you can get way better TV with say Peacock, Paramount, Discovery Plus. Prime costs $140 a year now = $11.67 a month. So you could get 2 of those services under that price. Now if you order things from Amazon more than 2 times a month it pays for it (the month) right there in savings on ship costs. Most folks dont understand how much shipping costs are these days. UPS/USPS/Fedex. To ship a 2 oz bubble mailer via USPS cost over $4.25 these days. But back to Prime Video you also get TV and Movies (sometimes some really good movies). You also get NFL Thursday Night Football (15 Games exclusively on Prime in 2022). Plus The Rings Of Power and other Amazon Originals. Plus Amazon Music, and more stuff i dont know too much about.
I have all those streaming services you mentioned and a few more, but of the ones you mentioned, the only streaming service that beats Prime Video is Paramount+. But now I'm glad that now I know I can just have Prime Video without the full Prime subscription, especially since I primarily shop on eBay.

I have plenty of reasons to stay subscribed to Amazon Prime. Prime Video, Prime Music, Prime Gaming and once in a while a free Kindle book. Prime Shipping isn't really that important to me. There is rarely a need to get items within a couple of days. But overall, it is well worth the annual price for me.

Reactions: edisonprime
Sears, like most businesses, closed down due to inept management. Good management will overcome the vast majority of problems.
And I will bet the CEOs of Sears still got paid millions for bad decisions! This is whats wrong with the greed that comes hand in hand with Capitalism!

All I ever bought was Craftsmans hand tools, electric tools, lawn equipment, when it broke I had the best manuals to fix it and order parts!

And I will bet the CEOs of Sears still got paid millions for bad decisions! This is whats wrong with the greed that comes hand in hand with Capitalism!

All I ever bought was Craftsmans hand tools, electric tools, lawn equipment, when it broke I had the best manuals to fix it and order parts!
Even though I really love capitalism, I'll admit there's bad aspects of it. That being said, there's good and bad to most things.

Even though I really love capitalism, I'll admit there's bad aspects of it. That being said, there's good and bad to most things.
Absolute....But CEOs making millions over the workers who are the backbone of a company has been getting worse for near 50 years now....Outsourcing, and Neoliberalism is and will be the death of everything....We went through this in the early 1900s! Why greed is good when it hurts most everyone but the only helps a few is wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts