Anyone downgrade their subscriptions and gone to NETFLIX for the movies?

I got rid of the movie channels a while ago and went with Netflix blu-ray 2 disks + streaming and haven't looked back. Netflix also has a huge selection of TV series as well. Given the new price increase announcement, I'm considering downgrading Dish programming from AT200 to AT120 or removing HD Platinum.

I've done something similar to below. I just dropped from AEP after Entourage ended. (I will miss Real Time with Bill Maher, but it's not worth the extra cost) I am doing the 3 month free Platinum and will most likely keep it when it's over because it does have a good number of movie channels for the $10 upcharge.

Netflix has a good selection of online movies and actually more titles that I wanted to see than what I could get on the Premium channels. Also doing Amazon.com on the Roku box now as well for some of the recent releases.

I dropped all movie channels after TRue Blood ended and down to top 200 . I recently added Platinum pack for three months because DISH offered it . Will drop again when the free view is over. I have used Netflix streaming only for a month now and so far I love it. There is not enough new movies though. But I have plenty of stuff being streamed over my google revue unit and at 1080p it looks great. I won't be using HBo any longer either. It is way to HIGH at $16.00 a month. So Amazon.com for each episode of True Blood next summer instead. The days of bloated premium movie packs are over. They have priced themselves out of reach for most people. Netflix has put a good reasonable price on their service. I don't know how long it will stay this low at $8.00 a month, but I love it for now.

markcosenza said:
I've done something similar to below. I just dropped from AEP after Entourage ended. (I will miss Real Time with Bill Maher, but it's not worth the extra cost) I am doing the 3 month free Platinum and will most likely keep it when it's over because it does have a good number of movie channels for the $10 upcharge.

Netflix has a good selection of online movies and actually more titles that I wanted to see than what I could get on the Premium channels. Also doing Amazon.com on the Roku box now as well for some of the recent releases.

Last year we dropped HBO and Showtime and started Netflix. I, too, missed Bill maher's show until I found it as a (mostly) audio podcast thru iTunes. It is usually available by Monday following the broadcast.

streaming netflix from ps3... ran rca from ps3 to rf modulator..coax split into tv2 out.. Now thanks to my home distribution I can watch netflix on tv1 and tv2.

Amazon VOD is good too

My Vizio TV has Netflix and Amazon video on demand apps. I did Netflix for a few months, but canceled and moved to Amazon. Amazon has a better selection of streaming TV series and movies. And most of them are $1.99 to $4.99 for HD quality that looks just as good as Dish HD on a 47" TV. Never even had a streaming glitch.

Some Amazon movies cost as much as $9.99 though. But those seem to be the hard to find but popular indies etc. Most of our rentals are $1.99 kids movies or shows.

I watched The Cove and Hachi over the holidays, both were the first $9.99 movies I found on Amazon. I see Hachi not on Netflix streaming, but the Cove is on Netflix streaming. Netflix would be the better deal if they had even close to the selection of Amazon VOD.

I usually only watch 1 or 2 movies p/month or so, some times no movies for 2 months. So Amazon still works better for me until Netflix gets "all the movies" steaming.

It was only last month, after my failed Sling Adapter experience, that I finally got around to dropping my America's Everything pack down to just 120+ with HD. The premium channels were hardly ever watched by my family. I wish I had canceled months ago. Premium channels remind me of cable in the 80's!

Money saved each month covers more than all the Amazon movies and TV series I would watch in any given month. I will figure out another way to watch Entourage, Weeds, Friday Night lights, Bordwalk Empire. Like via Amazon for example!

Last edited:
Dropped all movie channels last Fall and because of the bad EPG, am now getting most of our programming off the net. So much easier and much more reliable. Vudu has proved to be pretty good also. In my last conversation with DISH retention about the EPG and failed timers, I asked the rep with getting most of my programming off the net because of the poor services, why should I have DISH? I never got an answer. But did get $10 off a month of the next year, which is showing on my bill, but not being deducted for the final amount.

I looked at getting it to replace some of the premium Dish programming, and decided against it. I wanted to mainly just stream movies in HD over my blu-ray player, and from what I could tell, most of the movies available for streaming are from the Epix library, which for anybody with platinum is kind of worthless. I'd rather have the option to record and archive things. I didn't realize most of the releases are still only available on disc.

I too have issues. The SD stuff is so blurry on my HDTVs that it's unwatchable. I started watching Star Trek in HD on my LG networked Bluray player, and it was very impressive for the 5 minutes I watched. But the very next time I was trying to demo Netflix streaming for a friend, the same movie looked like heck with blockiness all over the place. So I built a HTPC and had DRM problems that prevented me from seeing anything at all on Netflix streaming. Now that I deleted the bum file and got past that hurdle, I again see something that is a tad blocky and almost certainly less than DVD quality. Can PCs get the HD stream? At one time they couldn't.
That's the only way I watch Netflix. What's the specs of your computer. I get HD all the time and no lag or blockiness.

Interesting comment. I get the exact same picture on IE8 as I do in Media Center, including the DRM error (when that was stopping me). Are you absolutely positive that you were getting a HD picture under Media Center?

I use Chrome as my browser btw. Is your video card HDCP compliant?

I have been using VUDU on my LG BDP, which has SD, HD (1080i) and HDX (1080p) programming available. Having a 10Mbps line, it can easily support their HDX and it is gorgeous and never a problem. Plus DLNA streaming works just as good. No DRM issues. I use to use my DLP as a 4th computer monitor and since I got the Blu-Ray player with all the gizmos, I stream everything via the BDP now.

We've been using Netflix streaming for about 8 months now and last month I dropped from the Top 250 to Top 200 plus dropped HD Platinum because most of the movies we want to watch are on Netflix or Red Box, which is MUCH cheaper than PPV or On Demand. Doing this dropped our plan almost $30/month which given we were already paying for Netflix was a deal.

I downgraded to Dish Welcome Pack one year ago and added Netflix 5 months ago. I watch both on my 30 inch LCD monitor (remote control for Dish, wireless mouse for PC Netflix).

I record OTA HD on Dish 622 DVR.

I watch older movies on Welcome Pack (AMC, TBS, Comedy, Hallmark, CMT).

I watch Indies and Starz movies on Netflix streaming.

I watch recent TV episodes online on the TNT, SyFy, and USA websites.

P.S. Welcome Pack has been made available again: http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/240066-welcome-pack.html

Last edited:
I still subscribe to Netflix mainly for streaming movies. A get a lot of broken discs from them. (one movie came broken 5 times in a row) I just hope they start providing better movies for streaming. I am not one who watches old movies very often and I have rather quickly exhausted the movies that interest me. Newer movies will require big increase in cost. The reality is that there just is not a cheap way to watch current TV or movies.

I too have downgraded DISH to lowest tier (200 I think) and dropped the premium movie channels at the same time. I signed up for Netflix one-at-time unlimited with streaming....sure wish I had done this earlier. My one problem is the audio when streaming.....no Dobly5.1, just stereo. I'm using Windows Media Center hooked up via HDMI directly to my Pioneer plasma. Does anyone receive Dolby surround using Netflix streaming? Should I go the Roku route? Does it provide true surround sound? I also have an Amazon account and have a unused free movie given me when I purchased DVD. Not certain Amazon can be streamed using my WMC. Anyone recommend Roku?

Doug,

At this time only the PS3 streams Netflix in DD5.1 (and 1080p). While Roku is fine, you can get a streaming blu-ray player for less (no DD5.1 yet though). Whatever you decide, the overall experience on a dedicated streaming player is much better than it is on an HTPC.

I got rid of the movie channels a while ago and went with Netflix blu-ray 2 disks + streaming and haven't looked back. Netflix also has a huge selection of TV series as well. Given the new price increase announcement, I'm considering downgrading Dish programming from AT200 to AT120 or removing HD Platinum.
This is done, I just downgraded from Top 200 to Top 120.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts