Anyone Else Miss Idol? - Bad Guide Data

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ddobson

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Feb 5, 2004
Anyone Else Miss Idol? Bad Guide Data?

The Guide data itself is getting worse and worse. I'm really ticked right now. We missed American Idol tonight. First time I've missed it in 3 seasons on TIVO. It did not record it. The reason in history:

"Same episode appears in now playing list or has been recorded in the last 30 days".

It was live, how did the same episode appear? I know it didn't but I"m still furious about it. We went to watch it when we got home and it wasn't there. I have the season pass set up correctly but guide data caused it not to record. Man I'm getting madder as I type.

Season Pass Setup:

Keep at most: All Episodes
First and Reruns (without Duplicates)
Pass is number 1 on the list

Now I have changed it to record all WITH Duplicates just in case it happens again.

Who do you blame for this?

DirecTV (owned by Rupert)
Guide Data by TV Guide (Owned by Rupert)
Fox Network? (Owned by Rupert)

Sorry for the rant but I never in my wildest dreams expected this to happen!

Idol recorded fine for me on my HDTIVO. How do you get FOX? Do you get it OTA or through DirecTV Distant Network? It might be a problem with your local fox sending bad guide data out.

BTW, TIVO gets its guide data from Tribune Media Services and/or www.zap2it.com, (not TV Guide) Tribune gets their guide data directly from the networks. And, your local FOX network is not necessarily owned by FOX, it could be a locally owned and affiliated station.

Hey I love that big 8 log for Jr. NASCAR has never been the same for me without the 3 on the track.

Anyway I am not HD yet. I get Fox via local channels on a standard D-Tivo of which I have 4.

Now lets throw in a twist I discovered after posting the message. I record Idol on 3 Tivos. Yeah slap me for not hacking and networking them yet. I probably will soon. I was holding out for Media Center but since its not TIVO I likely will never have one. Off Soap Box for Now.

The bedroom recorded Idol fine, the rec room and the living room did not. All passes are set up the same way, priorities slightly different. I have both tuners working on all 4 Tivos and Idol was #1 on the Living room (did not record) and number 2 on the others (one recorded, one did not). Same reason in history for both of them. "Episode already appears......"

I haven't seen many posts about it here or on other boards so maybe I'm the only one! That would be strange. I thought at first someone had recorded something else manually and cancelled it but that's not he case.

Oh well, I have it to record with dups now so it shouldn't happen again. But I get it over the dish via locals to answer the questions.

I expected dozens of replies saying me too when I posted but I see none so it must have been something unique to me.

Thanks guys and have a great day.

Oh yeah, GO Earnhardt!

Another quick note. Someone corrected me at Tivo Community saying the guide data was by Tribune which is NOT owned by Rupert. If that's the case I apologize for that error.

I thought they had switched to TV guide last year or I read they were switching. I just know guide data has definately gone downhill in the 2 years I've had TIVO. Way too many generic descriptions.

Kids record Dukes of Hazzard and it records same episode twice a day. I did a manual and then they kept moving the times so that didn't work either.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)