Anyone else tired of the silence?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Fred is partly right. 'only about it being business'.

Charlie however, he missed completely. You can bet that if Charlie is moving his lips, then it is very likely he is a marionette with someone else giving him the scripted words to utter. DarrellP :up

You can beat the dead horse (Even in HD) but until charlie can make money on offering a new (True HD and upconverted content in HD) or any other channel for that matter, you won't see it added to the E*(Dish) lineup.

It all boils down to the All Mighty Dollar.

A probable exerpt of a channel addition proposal board meeting: -Fade In-

Is the channel going to do the following:

#1: Will it raise our viewership by offering it as part of a regular/premium package(ala taking customers away from rival satellite/cable companies) or cause our current customers to upgrade their service to 'x' tier.

If 'YES' then goto #2
If 'NO' then on the next CC have a programming exec say that they are 'looking into it' and buy them at least 30 more days. Make sure call screeners don't let anyone get through that has even a remotely similar question.

#2: Is the money that we PAY this new channel owner in a negotiated contract for x years going to make E* a fat profit during the contract duration? (And how much are they willing to pay us boardmembers to vote 'YES' to add their channel to our lineup)

If YES, we launch the new channel but take our time. We don't want to add too many channels too fast. We can hold out for yearly subscription rate increases and add a channel right before the proposed increase.
If NO, We hold out for more incentives to switch our vote to 'yes' at the next programming meeting.

-Fade out-

Its business as usual. We just have to wait and see who the high (incentive) bidders are.

Fredinva said:
Okay, let's say YOU are Charlie: ESPN2HD is announced - how much are you going to pay to delver ESPN2HD when all your customers will get 90 percent sidebars????

Okay, now you are a programmer - if you have a channel that is broadcasting 100% HD, go talk to Charlie!!!!!!!!!!

In addition to DiscHD, TNTHD just automatically appeared w/o an announcement - wasn't that pretty darn good?
And then, a coupe months later, 60-some Sirius music channels were added. I enjoy them when I'm glued to this dang personal confuser!!!!!

If Mark Cuban announced tomorrow, an HDSCIENCE (100 percent HD channel), that would rival DISCHD, I bet Charlie would be first to offer it.
It all takes TIME and MONEY. And most of all, it takes programmers with HD content and HD equipment. Tell us all where it is????

Charlie doesn't make promises he can't keep.

If you don't like it, go back to pricey DTV or CABLE. I'm getting tired of all you complainers. Most of you don't understand business at all.

fred

Now that was funny!!!!

Oh, I took your advice, went to cable with HD DVR lease of $10 /month (no 250 to lay out on top of that). Cable for 1st year with top package is cheaper AND will be same price after 1st year. More HD (3xs more) and generally better PQ on rest of channels (digital and analog).

Drink the Koolaid that Charlie is serving u!

I'm getting tired of waiting too... Unless something happens really fast, I'm going back to cable. I can't believe I cannot even get locals in HD (I live in Chicago-land, but unfortunately, I can not receive OTA). A major market like Chicago should have been covered..

Added Cable for HD Locals and DVR

I'm stuck with an 811 upgrade contract through December, but I discovered an unpublicized level of service from my cable company (Cox San Diego) with which I can get HD locals, their exclusive sports channel that televises 110 Padre games in HD, and a DVR without having to get the full package of analog channels (I get those with E*) or their digital channels. Once my year is up with E*, I'll consider my options, but I'm really happy with Cox so far, and their SA8300 HD DVR. (I mean, seriously, 110 of my favorite team's games in HD with an HD DVR. I'm kicking myself for upgrading with E* in December, but thought the crappy analog cable PQ would bother me too much. Heck, I rarely watch SD anymore anyway. 110 games. OK, I'm giddy. I just hope the Pads can put together another winning season.)

"Dont expect any new HD channels until 2006. Dont expect to be able to buy your own hardware anymore. Dont expect any new channels that D*/cable add."

Dish "Team Summit" is in Nashville 4/2/-5/1. C has to have some good news for his retailers that pay to go to this conference. My guess is their will be at least 2 new channels to be turned on. Its not like there are 20 HD channels available.
D* can say what they want, but will they deliver, and cable is a joke.

Wally

For those of you clamoring for DISH to add Universal HD here's a reality check: endless repeats of Law&Order, The District, and last summer's Olympic games, and the lamest movies ever made. I don't get Universal as part of my new cable package, but can see what's on in the IPG, and that's about it.

SimpleSimon said:
One more time, E* can shut me up (for a while) by giving me ABC-HD, NBC-HD, FOX-HD.

Hell - I'll settle for 2 outta 3.

I got so frustrated with watching the Super Bowl in SD that I went over to cable TV and now I have ABC-HD, NBC-HD, Fox-HD, and CBS-HD.

Bobby said:
I got so frustrated with watching the Super Bowl in SD that I went over to cable TV and now I have ABC-HD, NBC-HD, Fox-HD, and CBS-HD.
Bobby, I thought you were able to pick up the locals OTA in Rohnert Park. I can almost get them here in Santa Rosa, but also gave up and added basic cable with a HD box for a total of 20 bucks. So far the results are excellant with the exception of missing the center channel sound WAY to often.
BTW, I don't think cable is an option for Simon who lives in the forest. (I think) :confused:

Correct, Grandude, forest and mountains.

Some Colorado Springs stations have remote analog transmitters up here, but they are rarely operational. Their purpose in life is to expand Grade-B footprint, NOT to serve viewers. The FCC should nail them on it, but we all know how that goes.

Anyway, as for DTV, there's a few billion tons of Pikes Peak Granite between here and the towers on Cheyenne Mt. (yes, THAT Cheyenne Mt.) - ain't never gonna happen. :(

Simon, My daughter lived for awhile outside of Steamboat Springs so I know what the landscape is like up there. Gods country if you like snow. They weren't into TV at all so no problem for them. Had a BUD in the yard from previous owner but they never hooked it up.
I am with you on wishing Dish would get on the ball and give us ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX at least in HD.

hey simon i c that the colorado springs hdtv scene still sucks. Its awsome here in chicago and getting every channel in hd.. the wife and I are talking about moving back west in a couple of years and its looking like castle rock will be it for denvers hd (cant live with cbs hd only like how it is in the springs) the diffrence is dramatic from one channel to 7 channels of Local IN Local hd. I actually feel sorry for you all in the springs. but one thing that i did like about the springs that i dearly miss is i could pick it all up with rabbit ears.. here in chicago Im lucky to get cbs half of the time with there super duper low reception and high interfearance on the lovely vhf prime spot of super channel 3!!!!!!!!! thus making a preamp and a 15ft ant. a necesity.. or a 2nd dish (for those nights that cbs does pixolate witch is every day) everything else is a steady 125 on the 921 (all uhf) Cant wait for the 942 next week. but anyhow Simon im with you I remember those days just wish that there was a way to record hd and send it to you cauz i would provide you with all the hd you needed.. lol...

Thanks G-Bob!

But it's probably not too bad down in C.Spgs. - or it'll be OK before too long.

Doesn't mean anything to me up here, though. I'm in a holding pattern for now. At least I hould be able to get my distant ABC back now that I have an RV. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts