Anyone else turn off PTA?

ces1948

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
I did today as we have several shows we record on other channels and it seemed more efficient to not have one tuner tied up for 3 hours when we were only interested in 1 show. I can see using on selected nights if you want multiple shows recorded from the 4 networks.

I did today as we have several shows we record on other channels and it seemed more efficient to not have one tuner tied up for 3 hours when we were only interested in 1 show. I can see using on selected nights if you want multiple shows recorded from the 4 networks.

AutoHop goes away if PTAT is turned off. We pick one night/network that is the least intrusive for using a tuner and keep it active just so we have AutoHop on everything else.

I only use PTAT on select nights and only on CBS and NBC. I have a couple of other shows from the Big 4 that I set timers for.

One nice touch is nice since they are integrated, with two hoppers, I leave PTA on for one hopper and off for the other

Last edited:
The only minor benefit of 1 channel vs. 4 may be hard drive space, since the PTAT space is now part of the user space.

I not only set 1 night and 1 channel but I also change the day of the week to one before today's. Thus 5 or 6 day before it would be used it is changed and never executes. Been doing this since the first week or two. I like that it does AutoHop for all 4 in prime time and that it allows all 4 on one tuner 24/7.
-Ken

Thanks for the tips.
I not only set 1 night and 1 channel but I also change the day of the week to one before today's. Thus 5 or 6 day before it would be used it is changed and never executes. Been doing this since the first week or two. I like that it does AutoHop for all 4 in prime time and that it allows all 4 on one tuner 24/7.
-Ken

Here's my opinion, and it depends on whether or not u have an OTA module. I'm also assuming that you have only one Hopper.

If you do not have an OTA module, and you have even one show on a major network airing during each of the three hours of Primetime, you may as well use PTAT, because that one tuner is going to occupied, whether your recording one network or all 4 of the big nets.

If u do have an OTA tuner, you can get away with disabling PTAT in the above scenario. Now, if you want to record on two major nets at the same time, it again makes sense to just have PTAT enabled.

Of course, as mentioned by others, PTAT gives you the added feature of auto-hop, and it'll also pick up the random show you may not have set a recording for (awards shows, live events, etc.)

Hope some of that made sense and helps you out!

How does it make sense to have PTAT enabled, aside from Autohop? If you are recording 2 major nets at the same time, they will both use only 1 tuner, whether PTAT is turned on or off. If it's only for 1 hour, then with PTAT off you don't have the 1 tuner tied up for the other 2 hours.

Truthfully, KKlare has the best idea...leave PTAT on but for only 1 day that is as far into the future as possible, and every 5-6 days just keep rolling that day out so that it never fires. You get the benefit of Autohop and you only have the tuner tied up for when you are actually recording shows from timers you want to keep.

I wasn't aware that the Hopper offered PTA.:D I always hated attending those.

Based on what's been stated I'm going to set mine on for Wens as I have a show from 8-9, 9-9:30 and 10-11 on the big 4 so it makes sense to use it.
BTW I realized my mistake on the subject line about a half a second after submitting the thread but I guess a moderator would have to correct.

This last couple of weeks I had NBC turned off my ptat folder due to the Olympics ,which I hate watching like all sports. Also have PTAT turned off on weekends because on Saturdays there is nothing but re-runs. On Sunday I watch about 3 shows off of the networks and see no reason to have it on for that . Besides if there is sports on Sundays you end up with the tuner recording for a couple of hours over regular time due to the built in padding for sporting events. I don't want my tuner tied up for 4 - 5 hours.

Did I hear correctly that if I have 2 Hoppers and only one has PTAT enabled they will both autohop?
And PTAT space on the Hard drive is now just part of the total and not a seperate partition?
It may be time to make some changes.

Based on what's been stated I'm going to set mine on for Wens as I have a show from 8-9, 9-9:30 and 10-11 on the big 4 so it makes sense to use it.
BTW I realized my mistake on the subject line about a half a second after submitting the thread but I guess a moderator would have to correct.

No biggie ces1948,just had to get a rub in.:D Actually PTA makes more sense but,it was already taken so Dish had to go with PTAT.

Did I hear correctly that if I have 2 Hoppers and only one has PTAT enabled they will both autohop?
And PTAT space on the Hard drive is now just part of the total and not a seperate partition?
It may be time to make some changes.

They won't both Autohop, but you can access the PTAT recordings from the other Hopper, thus freeing up a extra tuner on one Hopper if you like

We never use PTA or auto hop. We fast forward through most commercials but want to watch promos for upcoming shows and selected commercials of items we are interested in buying. Dish executives have often argued for the ability to select commercials of interest and to eliminate commercials you have already seen. Both of these technologies are available online, why not for TV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)