Anyone else use Plex? Or Plex on a Roku

Blindowl1234

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
SouthWest Ohio
Curious if anyone else uses Plex. I was using XBMC on my pc for my media. I tried Plex the other day and put the Plex app on my Roku. So far I like it. Gives you a screen that looks like you're watching Netflix.
It's a bit of work doing some editing of titles and the program info, but it looks good. Now all my media, about 600 movies and shows, is on the plex app on my Roku.
?The only thing I don't like is it seems if your internet/modem is down you have nothing. I'm still experimenting but I like it so far.

I have Plex and I LOVE it. I also have a LOT of media on it and I've had very few problems with it.

One thing to keep in mind with Plex is that it also works on your tablet and smartphone (assuming you have iOS or Android) so it extends beyond just watching on the Roku. Another cool thing is that it works with Windows Television Files, so if you have a cable decoder you can save files on your computer, and then the Plex will stream it wherever you want. Now, given that your signature mentions you have Dish I have the feeling this feature is useless to you, but for me, someone who has free basic cable (my company never blocked off the feed that comes in through the internet) this is awesome. It basically means that I have a remote DVR functionality.

So yeah, I love my Plex.

Curious if anyone else uses Plex. I was using XBMC on my pc for my media. I tried Plex the other day and put the Plex app on my Roku. So far I like it. Gives you a screen that looks like you're watching Netflix.
It's a bit of work doing some editing of titles and the program info, but it looks good. Now all my media, about 600 movies and shows, is on the plex app on my Roku.
?The only thing I don't like is it seems if your internet/modem is down you have nothing. I'm still experimenting but I like it so far.
The only thing I don't like about it is it doesn't play my backup files. I can play avi files but no iso files. So I switched to MyMedia which does with out a problem. It also works on your tablet and smartphone. Unfortunately it doesn't work with out internet either.

The only thing I don't like about it is it doesn't play my backup files. I can play avi files but no iso files. So I switched to MyMedia which does with out a problem. It also works on your tablet and smartphone. Unfortunately it doesn't work with out internet either.
I'll have to check out MyMedia. I'm keeping my movies on XBMC and my 2tb drive just in case I'm ever without the internet in the house. I'll probably use Plex otherwise.

Have been using PLEX everyday since last Christmas and LOVE it!
I thought I remembered you were using it but guess I forgot. I think it will be easier for the wife to use...she pretty much wants to push one button on the remote and watch whatever...I might convince her this is easy to use lol

Yea,plex is vital to the roku for me.I still wish roku could integrate network shares without having to use plex though.

I have Plex running on my unRAID server. I have one Roku in my house, one that I travel with, my dad has one and so does my brother-in-law that all connect to my Plex server. In addition, several iPads, phones and Android tablets all connect just fine. I've run five simultaneous 1080p streams without an issue.

I thought I remembered you were using it but guess I forgot. I think it will be easier for the wife to use...she pretty much wants to push one button on the remote and watch whatever...I might convince her this is easy to use lol

My wife caught on very fast and now uses PLEX probably more than I do.

I'm also using Plex with my Roku and iPad and I love it! My biggest issue with it right now are trying to figure out some kind of parental controls. I guess there are new features coming to make this a little easier in the future, but I'm trying to figure out how to do this now as I'd like to cut the cable in a couple months. I wanted to give the kids access to their movies/tv shows we've ripped/recorded and let my wife and I have access to our movies without the kids being able to pull up the R-rated stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)