Anyone get an External Hard Drive to work on Genie 2

DVDDAD

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Huntington, Long Island, NY
I currently have a HR-44 with three HR24's and one Genie Mini. The HR-44 has an external 2TB hard drive. I'm contemplating upgrading to a 4K TV and replacing all my boxes with the Genie 2. I know I'll be downgrading from 11 tuners down to seven and I'll also be losing storage. Can you add a 4TB external hard drive to the Genie 2?

The HS-17 Does Not have an estata external port --so the only way is to OPEN the HS-17 and replace the internal DRIVE --which is REALLY NOT allowed.

Why Not get a HR54 it will work with the C61K-700 and the 54 has an EXTERNAL Estata Port --I have a 4tb SSD drive on mine ---CAll D* and ask for a 4K upgrade --That will get you a HR54 & a C61K and you can keep you HR24's and all the recorded programs --With the HS-17 you can only have minis and you will lose extra recording options.

Replace one of your HR-24's for the Hr54 or don't

Reactions: Jimbo
Not true, some HS17s do have an eSATA port. They made a few changes to it a couple years after they started making them and removed the eSATA port.

Even if others have got it to work on their HS17 that doesn't guarantee you would on yours - because if you happen to get one of the ones without the eSATA port you are SOL.

They did the same with the HR54, more recently manufactured ones deleted the eSATA port.

The ones without the eSATA port upgraded the USB port from USB 2 to USB 3, but AFAIK it doesn't allow attaching an external drive.

Reactions: longhorn23
Agree, strong answers :)

HR54 and HS17 both had e-SATA, and newly manufactured don't (approximately two years ago)

HR54 will support e-SATA drive, I believe HS17 as well but fewer reports of people doing that. Keep in mind HS17 comes with a larger drive to start with.

Beyond that your only option is to replace the internal drive. I've done that on Genie's and it isn't too hard, but never on a Genie 2. I've read that opening the HS17 is harder with many hidden clips, so likely not something many would advise. Side note - terms of service say don't open receivers as they are leased.

Okay guys, with your input I've decided to keep two of the three HR24's and opt for the HR54 and two of the 4K Clients. Install is set for Monday. If the HR54 has an ESATA port, I'll give it a try and let you know how I make out. Thanks for your input.

Reactions: vazhog
Okay guys, with your input I've decided to keep two of the three HR24's and opt for the HR54 and two of the 4K Clients. Install is set for Monday. If the HR54 has an ESATA port, I'll give it a try and let you know how I make out. Thanks for your input.
Good Choice ....

Reactions: vazhog
The HS-17 Does Not have an estata external port --so the only way is to OPEN the HS-17 and replace the internal DRIVE --which is REALLY NOT allowed.

Why Not get a HR54 it will work with the C61K-700 and the 54 has an EXTERNAL Estata Port --I have a 4tb SSD drive on mine ---CAll D* and ask for a 4K upgrade --That will get you a HR54 & a C61K and you can keep you HR24's and all the recorded programs --With the HS-17 you can only have minis and you will lose extra recording options.

Replace one of your HR-24's for the Hr54 or don't
If Directv would have larger hard drives then people would not hack their receivers to install larger ones. This kind of stupidity is something you would normally expect from Dish Network. Hope these companies realize that streaming options are becoming more widespread traditional MPVD’s are going to be bleed more subs at a record pace. With good high speed internet becoming available for people in the boonies, there will be no need for a satellite dish.

If Directv would have larger hard drives then people would not hack their receivers to install larger ones. This kind of stupidity is something you would normally expect from Dish Network. Hope these companies realize that streaming options are becoming more widespread traditional MPVD’s are going to be bleed more subs at a record pace. With good high speed internet becoming available for people in the boonies, there will be no need for a satellite dish.

I think you just made the argument against them. The HS17 has a 2TB drive that I have never even come close to filling up in more than 3 years. I have recordings set for a lot of stuff but I find myself just using the Roku apps for most of the stuff I wind up watching. There is simply not enough demand for more capacity in these drives. If there were, they would be there.

I get there are folks out there that want to record everything, but those are outliers, not typical TV viewers.

Reactions: comp9
What makes you think that everyone in " the Boonies" is going to be able to get actual High Speed Internet ?

Then you have the question of " What is High Speed?" that answer is different for each person.

And at what COST ?

The number of people who fill up a 2TB drive and still want more space are probably very tiny. Going to a 4TB drive would cost more money and most of the people who thought 2TB was too small would probably also think 4TB is too small - i.e. they aren't recording & watching, they are archiving for posterity (or at least until their DVR fails and they lose everything)

If you filled up a 2 TB drive with HD recordings you're talking what, something like 800 hours?

Reactions: Jimbo
I don't know how "stupid" Dish is since they at least didn't take away the ability to connect an external hard drive to their later model receivers. I had an HR-54 receiver that had no esata port then got an HS-17 that also had no esata port.

The number of people who fill up a 2TB drive and still want more space are probably very tiny. Going to a 4TB drive would cost more money and most of the people who thought 2TB was too small would probably also think 4TB is too small - i.e. they aren't recording & watching, they are archiving for posterity (or at least until their DVR fails and they lose everything)

If you filled up a 2 TB drive with HD recordings you're talking what, something like 800 hours?
WeaKnees rates the 2 TB drive in the HS17 as accommodating "up to 450 HD hours".

Still, though, that's a lot, more than the vast majority of cable TV subscribers would find use for.

WeaKnees rates the 2 TB drive in the HS17 as accommodating "up to 450 HD hours".

Still, though, that's a lot, more than the vast majority of cable TV subscribers would find use for.

Basing it on Directv's actual HD data rates, which average about 6.5 Mbps across all channels, that's 2.9 GB/hour or 689 hours in a 2000 GB drive.

If you record a lot of live sports which tend to have higher average bit rates you'll get less. If you record a lot of movies off premium channels like HBO that are pre-encoded you'll get more.

Reactions: longhorn23
Basing it on Directv's actual HD data rates, which average about 6.5 Mbps across all channels, that's 2.9 GB/hour or 689 hours in a 2000 GB drive.

If you record a lot of live sports which tend to have higher average bit rates you'll get less. If you record a lot of movies off premium channels like HBO that are pre-encoded you'll get more.

And then there’s 4k programming which takes up the majority of my hard drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts