Anyone Get THIS Letter?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Boondockbill

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 5, 2004
"You may or may not have heard of a law called the "Satellite Home Viewer Extension and Reauthorization Act. Before this passed, if you were eligible, we were able to offer you digital (HD) feeds of ABC, CBS, FOX, and/or NBC from both New York and Los Angeles. This law has revised the rules to now say that we can only offer these feeds from your own time zone or the adjacent one."

Because you live in the Mountain or Pacific time zone -
1) After August 25, you will continue to receive any of the Los Angeles feeds we bring you today on channels 81, 83, 87, or 89.
2) We can non longer bring you the New York feeds on channels 80, 82, 86, or 88.

So, I live in Central Cali and have had distant networks for 12-years through my C Band and DirecTV. Now it's all gone? No way will I wait up until 11:30 to watch Jay or 12:30am to watch Conan. LA feeds are useless to me. Why are we being held hostage? This doesn't happen on radio. I as mad as hell. I have one month left on my DirecTV contract. Then it's glorius month-to-month. Screw the networks and screw TV. I don't care anymore. This is all a blatant rip anyway.

Boondockbill said:
That thread doesn't answer anything....

Your topic was and i quote

"Anyone Get THIS Letter?"

So i simply pointed you in that direction, next time I'll pass.

DishWorks222 said:
Your topic was and i quote

"Anyone Get THIS Letter?"

So i simply pointed you in that direction, next time I'll pass.

ah, don't so upset. I DO appreciate your help, though :)

wonder if this SHIVA affects CBand too? If not, I'll be grandfatered in as I had CBand for 10 years. I'll call Turnervision in the morning...

Boondockbill said:
No way will I wait up until 11:30 to watch Jay or 12:30am to watch Conan. LA feeds are useless to me. Why are we being held hostage?

Not trying to be rude, but everyone on the entire east coast has to wait til 11:30pm to watch Jay or 12:30am to watch Conan. Why should you be so special, that you get East and West feeds? That is not the way Local television is meant to work, hince the word LOCAL

You are hardly being held hostage, at least you can get locals through D*, I have to aim an antenna at towers 25-30 miles away, and hope it doesn't rain.

I don't see what the problem is, just get a DVR if you can't stay up late.
If you don't want to pay for a DVR, then use a VCR.

Sorry if I came accross rude, I just don't understand what you have to complain about.

shugo77 said:
Not trying to be rude, but everyone on the entire east coast has to wait til 11:30pm to watch Jay or 12:30am to watch Conan. Why should you be so special, that you get East and West feeds? That is not the way Local television is meant to work, hince the word LOCAL

You are hardly being held hostage, at least you can get locals through D*, I have to aim an antenna at towers 25-30 miles away, and hope it doesn't rain.

I don't see what the problem is, just get a DVR if you can't stay up late.
If you don't want to pay for a DVR, then use a VCR.

Sorry if I came accross rude, I just don't understand what you have to complain about.

Because I've enjoyed Jay, Dave and Conan for 12-years at 8:30pm instead up waiting up for them. So I got them and you didn't at an early time. Sucks to be you, I guess. I don't care about locals OTA or thru D*, in fact, all I want is HD sports, movies and no primetime networks. Wonder how much an HD DVR is??? I AM being held hostage. Radio doesn't do this. Only network TV. Where do they get off compelling me to watch WHAT they want me to watch? Hey, with network viewing at it's all time low, you'd think they'd WANT viewers. I hope they all go bankrupt. It's 98% crap anyway.

Boondockbill said:
Because I've enjoyed Jay, Dave and Conan for 12-years at 8:30pm instead up waiting up for them..

So you are spoiled, ok...

Boondockbill said:
So I got them and you didn't at an early time. Sucks to be you, I guess

Actually it rocks to be me, I have a HDTIVO :D

Boondockbill said:
I don't care about locals OTA or thru D*, in fact, all I want is HD sports, movies and no primetime networks.

So why are you complaining? You just contradicted yourself. :confused:

Boondockbill said:
Wonder how much an HD DVR is???.

$599

Boondockbill said:
I AM being held hostage. Radio doesn't do this. Only network TV. Where do they get off compelling me to watch WHAT they want me to watch? Hey, with network viewing at it's all time low, you'd think they'd WANT viewers. I hope they all go bankrupt. It's 98% crap anyway.

You are not being held hostage, you are getting the same service everyone else does and you are not being forced to watch TV. Radio has nothing to do with it, that statement doesn't even make sense. If you want to be in charge of television scheduling and programming, I suggest you buy your own TV station. :)

Boondockbill said:
"You may or may not have heard of a law called the "Satellite Home Viewer Extension and Reauthorization Act. Before this passed, if you were eligible, we were able to offer you digital (HD) feeds of ABC, CBS, FOX, and/or NBC from both New York and Los Angeles. This law has revised the rules to now say that we can only offer these feeds from your own time zone or the adjacent one."

Because you live in the Mountain or Pacific time zone -
1) After August 25, you will continue to receive any of the Los Angeles feeds we bring you today on channels 81, 83, 87, or 89.
2) We can non longer bring you the New York feeds on channels 80, 82, 86, or 88.

So, I live in Central Cali and have had distant networks for 12-years through my C Band and DirecTV. Now it's all gone? No way will I wait up until 11:30 to watch Jay or 12:30am to watch Conan. LA feeds are useless to me. Why are we being held hostage? This doesn't happen on radio. I as mad as hell. I have one month left on my DirecTV contract. Then it's glorius month-to-month. Screw the networks and screw TV. I don't care anymore. This is all a blatant rip anyway.

Dude, the *government* changed the law. DirecTV must comply. The new law simply states that you can't get east AND west anymore, only one. So you aren't losing your networks, you just can't get the east coast feeds anymore. By the way, same law is in effect for Dish.

Sure, you can complain to DirecTv or Dish all you want but they can only follow the law or else get in trouble with the FCC. If there is a source to complain to it would be your state senator and congressman. They are the ones that passed this law.

bonscott87 said:
Dude, the *government* changed the law. DirecTV must comply. The new law simply states that you can't get east AND west anymore, only one. So you aren't losing your networks, you just can't get the east coast feeds anymore. By the way, same law is in effect for Dish.

Sure, you can complain to DirecTv or Dish all you want but they can only follow the law or else get in trouble with the FCC. If there is a source to complain to it would be your state senator and congressman. They are the ones that passed this law.

"Dude", I just got a year's worth of DNS, east coast feed, from my C Band programmer. And that's was 2-hours ago. Then called D* and they said it's an "agreement" between the networks and D*. So you see, it's not the "law" but rather closed-door, backroom politics.

shugo77 said:

Actually it rocks to be me, I have a HDTIVO :D

So why are you complaining? You just contradicted yourself. :confused:

$599

You are not being held hostage, you are getting the same service everyone else does and you are not being forced to watch TV. Radio has nothing to do with it, that statement doesn't even make sense. If you want to be in charge of television scheduling and programming, I suggest you buy your own TV station. :)

Radio is a medium just like TV. You can get any radio station online for free. Why not TV networks? Because they want YOU to bend to their will. Great. I'll stop watching networs altogether. With network viewership at a historic low and sinking everyday, I'd think they'd WANT viewers. But they don't see it this way and they're on the way to bankruptcy.

shugo77 said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondockbill
"I don't care about locals OTA or thru D*, in fact, all I want is HD sports, movies and no primetime networks."

So why are you complaining? You just contradicted yourself.

I said no "primetime networks." That doesn't mean Jay, Dave, or Conan. unless their time slots have all of a sudden become "primetime." Can you inform me of when this change took place????

Boondockbill said:
"Dude", I just got a year's worth of DNS, east coast feed, from my C Band programmer. And that's was 2-hours ago. Then called D* and they said it's an "agreement" between the networks and D*. So you see, it's not the "law" but rather closed-door, backroom politics.

Please don't use the mental lapse of a CSR as gospel :) This is indeed the law, a law that c-band is exempt from. It's ALL of DBS, so D* and E* are impacted.

Boondockbill said:
shugo77 said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondockbill
"I don't care about locals OTA or thru D*, in fact, all I want is HD sports, movies and no primetime networks."

So why are you complaining? You just contradicted yourself.

I said no "primetime networks." That doesn't mean Jay, Dave, or Conan. unless their time slots have all of a sudden become "primetime." Can you inform me of when this change took place????

Maybe you don't realize this, but The Primetime networks are on the exact same channels as the late night networks, therefore; if you do not receive the Primetime networks, you will also not receive the late night networks. You can't get just NBC Latenight and not get NBC Primetime, they are both NBC. ;)

So what do you want then, the all Jay, Dave and Conan On-Demand channel designed specifically for Boondockbill? You sure do think you are important. :rolleyes:

However much you desire it, I don't think that channel exists. Like I suggested before, maybe you should buy your own TV station, then you can choose the programming and scheduling. :)

shugo77 said:
Boondockbill said:
Maybe you don't realize this, but The Primetime networks are on the exact same channels as the late night networks, therefore; if you do not receive the Primetime networks, you will also not receive the late night networks. You can't get just NBC Latenight and not get NBC Primetime, they are both NBC. ;)

Gee, really?

So what do you want then, the all Jay, Dave and Conan On-Demand channel designed specifically for Boondockbill? You sure do think you are important. :rolleyes:

No, just like choice, that's all.

However much you desire it, I don't think that channel exists. Like I suggested before, maybe you should buy your own TV station, then you can choose the programming and scheduling. :)

No need to, just got east coast networks for a year with my C Band provider :)
So you see, I DO get what I want :))
Thanks for your efforts anyway :)))

Hrm,

I got the letter. does this effect HD only or both HD and SD? I'm sorry if this was discussed before but i figure i would ask anyway.

BTW can someone post a link on info on C-BAND Sat?

Thanks in advance
Pyrr

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)