Anyone have an OLED?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
LOL...

Watching Backdraft right now on Starz waiting on the Hopper 3 install. The image and overall perceived depth of it is amazing. I can't wait to watch some movies on this thing over the weekend.

Motion seems best with Dejudder 2 and Deblur 10. Dejudder 3 is pretty soapy. One thing I love is bright scenes you have "white" whites like an LCD, where with plasma the ABL would cause some issues.

I think the stand is heavier than the panel, I will prob just leave it on the RC64II. I think it looks pretty good this way.

IMG_0756_zpstvpwsmhr.jpg

IMG_0757_zpskmpmmavj.jpg

IMG_0759_zpsawuv9z3n.jpg

IMG_0760_zpsjfrxhtgx.jpg

Got on issue right now with the Hopper 3. It sends the LG into HDR On mode and everything is eye searing. The image is still pretty dang good, just too dang bright. Another member her says it goes away after the first nightly update/reboot, until you manually reboot it again. Not sure that makes sense to me, but my fingers are crossed.

Got on issue right now with the Hopper 3. It sends the LG into HDR On mode and everything is eye searing. The image is still pretty dang good, just too dang bright. Another member her says it goes away after the first nightly update/reboot, until you manually reboot it again. Not sure that makes sense to me, but my fingers are crossed.
So much for these things being too dim. lol
Must be the black levels making everything pop.
2016's are suppose to be almost twice as bright. I'd like to see side by side with LED's showing HDR material.

Finally got around to watching some OTA stuff on the DVR. Very impressive dimensional image, and some night crime scene spots during Bones were highly impressive. Inky black areas with bright police lights, etc... around.

According to Cnet, Chad and HDTVTest, using De-blur 10 is 600 lines of motion rez (just like LCD's and this is a 120hz panel) and De-judder 2 helps out some more without SOE. Using 3 and above gets a little too weird for me.

Also learned today that what IR these do get (its not IR in the plasma sense) they have an feature built in patented by LG that works the screen when its off with regards to uniformity. Basically, once the display has been on for a certain time, and you turn it off for a certain period, it begins the process.

Watched Straight out of Compton tonight. Truly amazed in night shots with people standing against a dark sky that you cant tell were the sky meets the letterbox and where the letterbox ends, just amazing. Another scene where they were walking into a club with neon at night was pretty crazy too. Super bright canopy against a inky black sky which then faded into the letterbox with no blooming obviously. To be honest, just watching the credits go up the screen in a black room blows my mind. I guess this is what 3.8 million dimming zones look like.

There are some near black issues that take a certain combo of factors to show, but I fixed most of it properly adjusting brightness down one click. I spoke to chad and he knows about it and counteracts it in his cal with a combo of contrast, brightness, and low end RGB adjustment of the grayscale.

Dejudder 2 and Deblur 10 looks perfect to me.

Watching a DVR of Arrow OTA right now, which is generally a dark show. This display is just ridiculously good.
BTW....I did an experiment today. Woke up to a Hopper that did not trip the HDR is now on (as has been the case every time after the nightly download). So today I decided to use the set's Amazon app and clicked on a Van Gogh documentary that was presented with HDR. Sure enough, when the video started, the HDR is now on banner popped up. When I went back to the Hopper at HDMI 2, the 'HDR is now off' displayed. So just tripping the circuit did not keep the HDR circuit on when it reaquired the Hopper signal.

Anyone curious about the panel makeup (I was), white oled layer with the color refiner on top making for WRGB per pixel:

img_oled_info13.jpg

Whatever ARF they are using is very very effective. Not sure if the encap is glass and what the oled layer is actually made of.

Its crazy how accurate these things are out of the box. A THX guy has done a couple of 55" 9500's and they need very little grayscale and cms work. The grayscale just requires some down low tweaks, and the last one he did took only 30 mins.

Im seeing that on mine, it looks very accurate on 2D and 3D blu-ray and good HDTV sources like OTA. All I have done so far in 2D and 3D mode is set contrast, brightness and oled light using test patterns from AVS 709.

Reactions: lakebum431
So this thing does what is called a "Compensation Cycle". Basically after every 10 hours of usage, when you do a proper power down, it stays on behind the scenes about 10 mins and adjusts the OLED voltages using some sort of proprietary algorithm. It's primary function is a screen wipe which removes all IR and a side affect is some improved screen uniformity over time. Now it doesn't make the display perfect, but it is known to improve uniformity some with use.

I have observed some slight IR (leaving the it on while running airplay from the Denon) but it never sticks around. Pretty cool.

Review:

Conclusions
OLED is, for me, a game-changer. But only time will tell if it will be a long-term success. When you consider performance alone, it’s clearly superior to any other technology, with exciting prospects for the future—including the possibility someday of paper-thin displays that can fill a wall and make home projectors superfluous.

The LG, as a self-emissive display, should be treated like a plasma set with regard to taking sensible (not paranoid) precautions to avoid burn-in. And because it’s a new technology, we still don’t know if an OLED display will have as long a life expectancy as an LCD set. But for me, anyway, the LG’s blacks and shadow detail trump all of this.

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/lg-65ef9500-oled-ultra-hdtv-review#Y6IT8KtLPQfyMtxF.97

Much of the review has been my impression, especially about the quality of 3D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts