Anyone have any experience with Peplink Balance Dual WAN Routers?

bobvick

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2006
Northwest Alabama
I was wondering if anyone here might have any tips to help set up a Peplink Balance 20 dual WAN router.
Yesterday I was installing a balance 20 to connect two DSL connections together for a my small home network.
I set the modems for the CenturyLink DSL to bridge mode and hooked them to the Peplink, and then configured the Peplink to connect to the internet.
The router was able to connect to the internet fine, however it was unable to go to several websites. I could not figure out what the problem was.
When I removed the Peplink from the equation and used just the modem, I could go anywhere, and the speed was what it should be.
When using the Peplink, and both WAN connections at the same time, the speed seemed to be degraded.
I am using two Westell 6100 modems that I have connected to a PepLink Balance 20, then the balance 20 connects to a 8 port Netgear switch, and then a CAT5e cable runs from that switch about 50 feet to another Netgear 5 port switch in another part of the house.
A Netgear router (configured as a wireless access point) is also hooked to the 8 port switch.
If anyone has any experience with these or similar routers, I would appreaciate any help that you could provide.

Thanks

Hi,
I've used the balance routers before but have not seen the issue you describe... smells like dns settings to me from what you've said though.
Peplink have got awesome support - I'd suggest you raise a ticket with them and get them to have a look. (id post the link but I'm not allowed to ;-) )

Good luck!

I reset the router, and then flashed the newest firmware. Then I reset the Westell 6100's and put them in bridge mode, and then I reconfigured the PPPOE settings on the router.
It works great now that I have did that. The only thing that I can think is there was a setting in the PPPOE set up where you input the upload and download speed of the connections. They were set at 100mbps for up and down, my connections are both DSL and are 4.0 down and 512k up. I input about 4.5 for the down and 530 for the up to give some overhead.
I also configured a weighted average for the outbound traffic with a ratio of 10 for WAN 1 and 10 for WAN 2.
I am not sure that I did that correctly though. I just want to have the Peplink to be able to move over to the other connection when there are a few downloads going on at once to be able to distribute the bandwidth.
Would you have any idea if that is the way to do it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)