Anyone have DirecTV, but use cable for internet and phone?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

grantsa4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 9, 2007
Naperville, IL
Hi,

I apologise if this is posted in the wrong place
I am currently a cable subscriber but may be looking towards switching later in the year and I was wondering....

Does anyone have satellite for their tv provider, but uses a cable company for their internet and phone?

If so, is this an easy thing to do?
Do they just run separate RG6 cables for the satellite and you keep the cable cables for your phone and internet?

Just something I thought I'd need to know if I do decide to make a move.

Thanks for any advice, or knowledge.

I just did an install like you are describing, I used a combo of existing and new cable; however this will depend on how your home is wired to begin with and the type of cable used for your internet. Around here it is fiber to the home then cat5 from the cable box to each wired jack regardless of phone, tv, or internet.

How is the best way to set this up - when I schedule the install do I mention that I currently have cable and want to keep the existing wiring? Were you warned ahead of time?

Hi,

I apologise if this is posted in the wrong place
I am currently a cable subscriber but may be looking towards switching later in the year and I was wondering....

Does anyone have satellite for their tv provider, but uses a cable company for their internet and phone?

If so, is this an easy thing to do?
Do they just run separate RG6 cables for the satellite and you keep the cable cables for your phone and internet?

Just something I thought I'd need to know if I do decide to make a move.

Thanks for any advice, or knowledge.

I do it.. DirecTV for video, cable for internet and I bring my own, better and cheaper Voip to the party. YES, just mention before the install that all your current RG6 runs are for cable internet and must not be used. If you run any of your own CAT, be sure to go with CAT6 and be gigabit compatible.

I have been doing that for a number of years. I just ran 4 new Series 6 cables (prior to SWM) from where I wanted the groundblocks to be to my distribution closet. That is also where my cable modem and ATA (phone box) are. From there, CAT5e to my computer outlets and CAT5e also for my phone outlets. Some of my coax outlets are for DTV and others are for OTA. Just make sure you have CAT5e outlets where your DTV receivers are gong to be. If not, you will want to have a DECA system installed also. It's the same thing as MoCA, just for DirecTV.

If your coaxial cables are RG6 AND swept tested to 3 GHz(most cable company coaxial lines are RG6,but only swept tested to 2200GHz),then DTV could use them. Most likely the best thing to do is to follow the cable line that your internet & phone modems are located on(hopefully the same line,if not,localize them to the same single cable with an indoor 2-way splitter) from the main splitter/distribution box that connects your cable service from telephone pole or underground cable to your house & mark that off. Disconnect the other cables from the splitter that runs to your TV's & if they are compatible,they can be connected to the DTV satellite dish & appropriate splitter/multiswitch or replaced by compatible DTV coaxial cable.

I do exactly what your talking about as well.

I had D* first though and when I added the cable internet, they ran thier own wiring, no questions asked, however, running thier own was the quickest and easiest way in my case.

My D* stuff is on one side of the house where my internet comes in from the other side of the room.

Thanks for all of the comments - very much appreciated.

Does D* internet based entertainment need any specific speed for solid performance, or will any 8MBps+ speed work ok?

Thanks for all of the comments - very much appreciated.

Does D* internet based entertainment need any specific speed for solid performance, or will any 8MBps+ speed work ok?

Awhile back, I asked the same thing and from whey I can tell, anything at 3mg and up should work fine.

I do this. I run my own lines. I have Knology for phone/internet and D* for TV. I have 3 lines run to each room as I installed before SWM was available. So, 1 line feeds my modem, phone and basic cable channels while the dual secondary lines feed my dual tuner HD/DVRs. It took 32 months to break even after signing up with D* (due to the upfront offset fee for receivers) but now I am far cheaper to have 6 HD/DVRs, 1 DVR and 2 SD units.

I would assume EVERYONE with Directv has separate Directv and Internet providers, yes? I see no place on the Directv website that shows anything about them being an ISP.

I would assume EVERYONE with Directv has separate Directv and Internet providers, yes? I see no place on the Directv website that shows anything about them being an ISP.

Years ago there was a D* isp, Hughesnet I think, they may still be there, but were always expensive so I have since lost track of it seeing I don't need it.

Jimbo said:
Years ago there was a D* isp, Hughesnet I think, they may still be there, but were always expensive so I have since lost track of it seeing I don't need it.

They are bundled with in just about everybody but the commercial side of things Directv has a little something up their sleeves. They're currently working on a way to provide both with competitive speeds.

I just did this on March 1st. I had charter internet and phone installed and kept my D*, so far it's working out great. I had AT&T before this, and my internet speed was only .5-.75mbps, now I'm getting 20-30mbps, what a difference, no more waiting for youtube to buffer!

I use Cox for my HSI....Ooma for my VoIP service and D* for all TV. Had D* just use my existing coax runs that are to every room and they singled out the 1 run to my 'office' where the cable modem is located. All the others were tied into the SWM splitter...had 1 terminated as it's not being used and another was for the Whole Home run.

Current setup is 1 HD/DVR, 1 HD receiver.

Im a comcast tech/former dtv tech, theres really no need to tell anyone you have anything, when the directv tech shows up, just tell him your keeping comcast for your phone/internet, 9/10x both are run over 1 coax line, occasionally they separate the system into 2. Either way, there is no reason the dtv guy cant reuse the wiring running to your tvs for satellite assuming that they are rg6.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)