Anyone in Denver getting the HR24 on new install

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gampp

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
I read that Denver is one of the test markets for the HR24. I'm planning to switch from Dish and am wondering if anyone has had any luck getting a HR24 for a new install. If so, any tricks, or just luck?

I'm guessing that you would also need to order the DECA networking system to qualify for an H24 or HR24.

I'm probably obsessing over this a little too much. I'm almost ready to make the switch, but worry about moving from the excellent VIPs. I used to be a D* customer in the old DirecTivo days, but have no experience with the new boxes. All I hear about is how slow the boxes are. Some questions:
Is that all-around slowness, or just in changing channels, etc?
Is there actually a big improvement in the HR24?
I don't really have a need for MRV, so does it make sense for me to hold out for the HR24, or should I just take the plunge now?
If I do switch now, should I request a specific model (HR23, HR22, etc), or are they all basically the same?

Thanks for helping out a returning convert.

Ah, never mind, I went ahead and scheduled the install. I only have two tvs and I want DVRs on both of them so ordered two. They did say I qualified for MRV, but not sure I need it. If I went that route, would that guarantee a HR24? Could I go ahead and have them install MRV to a third room and then have it disabled (along with the $3/month) after getting the HR24? Do they charge to downgrade something like that?

Hmmm. Might have to look there. There is a guy with great feedback who says he is a retailer, selling them on ebay. I sent him an email telling him to let me know when he has another, because Id like to get it.

Hmmm. Might have to look there. There is a guy with great feedback who says he is a retailer, selling them on ebay. I sent him an email telling him to let me know when he has another, because Id like to get it.

yea just saw that guys profile with 6k feedbacks. Looked like he had 2 that ended today with no sales.

Maybe he/she will repost them

I just got registered here, and I supposed to get the HR24 with my DTV install tomorrow morning. I am making the switch from Dish, so we'll see how that plays out. Still not sure how they're going to deal with the existing dish since I suspect they'll want the same mounting location for DTV.

Honestly, I don't trust either DTV or Dish CS at all, so I'm sure it was just lip service, but maybe I'll luck out and actually have someone give me an accurate answer. :D

I just got registered here, and I supposed to get the HR24 with my DTV install tomorrow morning. I am making the switch from Dish, so we'll see how that plays out. Still not sure how they're going to deal with the existing dish since I suspect they'll want the same mounting location for DTV.

Honestly, I don't trust either DTV or Dish CS at all, so I'm sure it was just lip service, but maybe I'll luck out and actually have someone give me an accurate answer. :D

Did you sign up for MRV, or just ask for the 24? Let me know how the install turns out.

Costco does, I am waiting on them to get the HR24 locally :D

Yes Costco does, but my local ones have been out for months. They story they tell me is that every year around Feb, DTV takes all the remaining stock back and sends new ones within a week or so (typically with a newer version). They said that this year has been strange since it's been months. They weren't too sure when they will be arriving.

Did you sign up for MRV, or just ask for the 24? Let me know how the install turns out.

The install had to be moved to tomorrow since the winds were creating a safety issue for the installer. As far as MRV, I can't really sign-up for that since I'm not a customer yet, but I was told it would be taken care of at install.

Again, I'm still skeptical, but since the question was posed I figured it was worth an answer. Maybe I'll follow-up this afternoon and see if I get similar answers.

The install had to be moved to tomorrow since the winds were creating a safety issue for the installer. As far as MRV, I can't really sign-up for that since I'm not a customer yet, but I was told it would be taken care of at install.

Again, I'm still skeptical, but since the question was posed I figured it was worth an answer. Maybe I'll follow-up this afternoon and see if I get similar answers.

They asked me about signing up for MRV when I placed my order. They were giving me a free HD DVR and free HD receiver and the MRV would be $3 (plus $5 box rental on box #2). I opted instead to pay $99 to upgrade to 2 HD DVRs as I like having the four possible recording tuners and not do the MRV. Thought about adding it to a third room, but would have to pay for the receiver, plus the $8.month for box and MRV.

Yes Costco does, but my local ones have been out for months. They story they tell me is that every year around Feb, DTV takes all the remaining stock back and sends new ones within a week or so (typically with a newer version).
My Costco is pretty much on the same basis. They piddled away a pallet between Thanksgiving and January and haven't replaced them. They have moved the display around and disconnected the TV.

They asked me about signing up for MRV when I placed my order. They were giving me a free HD DVR and free HD receiver and the MRV would be $3 (plus $5 box rental on box #2). I opted instead to pay $99 to upgrade to 2 HD DVRs as I like having the four possible recording tuners and not do the MRV. Thought about adding it to a third room, but would have to pay for the receiver, plus the $8.month for box and MRV.

The tech is here doing the install and says he only has the HR23. His claim is that they pick at the service center and neither he nor CS have any say on what is put on the truck. :rant:

No surprise there, although a bit disappointed.

He however said that he had everything to set-up DECA. No mention of additional cost for DECA or MRV from either CS or the installer, so I'm going with the assumption that my previous information is still good. :cool:

One of the things I do not like about Directv, vs Dish, is that you cannot just call in, pay the $199, and get the box you want. You have to wait for it to show at retail. I got my 722K and OTA module from Dish just as easy as pie.

I dont understand DIRECTV sometimes, for some reason IF you get your hands on a HR24 they will not activate the box for you... I don't get it.

I had a guy buy a box from someone off the other site and they refused to activate it for him. I really dont get why that is.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)