Anyone interested in an 8ft offset dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

FaT Air

HOA Free Zone
Original poster
Feb 27, 2010
97W 48N
Local dealer building coming down to make room for a new one.
Got the OK to salv-er-save this dish. I don't have the room.
If someone's interested, will get it to the ground safely.

Attachments

• 8ft_3.jpg
    8ft_3.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 596
  • 8ft_1.jpg
    8ft_1.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 607
  • 8ft_2.jpg
    8ft_2.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 565
damn that a nice dish......but its 700 miles round trip for me and dont know how I'd fit that in the Ranger since its one piece ;)
(also what the hell would I do with it other than piss off my neighbors.......)

Reactions: PopcornNMore
I can make arrangements to store it for a while. If coming in winter months, will have to make it an area that's accessible.
Will probably have to take it down tomorrow as building is coming down Monday or Tuesday. (leaving pole behind) Wish I would have known that it's been unused for the last 10yrs.:(

I am rather sure that I would not "need" to get it. BUT for those closer, I can (so probably you could) rent an open U-Haul trailer for $`19.95 / day. LOCAL use - pickup and return to same dealer location. If it took 2 days it still would only be $40. The one I get is (inside dimension) 7'4" by 14'1". Weight limit around 1000#. The 8 ft model will not close on a load of wallboard, but it is rated higher, but limited by the hitch anyway, but would be adequate for this dish. Renal company insurance may limit distance, but a rider on my policy was only $2.00 a day - and since I cross the state line almost anywhere I go, I just bought it. I now buy a annual rider for $14, good for 22 foot and $5000.

The mount & xmit/rcv module look just like those on popular 6' Prodelin offset Ku dishes.
My only worry is the weight of that solid reflector....?
Not likely a one-man job.

sent from iPhone 4

The neighbors are always pissing me off cause, well,they're neighbors ;).So they get what they deserve.:D

most of my neighbors are fine. But when they irritate me because of my dish farm I dont like that.
The one neighbor (on the HOA board...I am too) asked me was I taking my antennas when I move (which wont be for a while) and I said yes I will take the dishes and the antennas. I said I would plug the holes with blackjack and she says to me "oh there's holes up there"?

How else would you bolt a tripod to the roof? Super glue?

NO! NO! I must not even think about it. That is too far, 3200 miles would mean about 320 gallons of gas, figuring $4 /gallon = $1280 and 6 days of driving. Someone closer had better get it... I would not rent a trailer for a trip from here and back, the Lowes / HomeDepot / trailer for about $400 would probably make the trip. At 50 MPH or so with those small tires --- NO! NO! POP, do not even think about it. You could tie the dish down to the frame work of the trailer... 8 feet wide would not be an oversize load. It sounds like it is going to be down so it would not take too much to get it on the trailer and be going again... NO, that is too far and too far North for a winter trip! Somebody rescue me and get that thing!

most of my neighbors are fine. But when they irritate me because of my dish farm I dont like that.
The one neighbor (on the HOA board...I am too) asked me was I taking my antennas when I move (which wont be for a while) and I said yes I will take the dishes and the antennas. I said I would plug the holes with blackjack and she says to me "oh there's holes up there"?

How else would you bolt a tripod to the roof? Super glue?
Yeah for the most part my neighbors are fine and besides I've lived here way longer than any of the abutters and almost everyone else on the street.So I pretty much do what I want to do anyway.
Blackjack ? around here we call that bear sh** :D

For those interested in weak signals. It's in storage.
Also included is a picture of the trailer we used BITD to deliver completely assembled 10 ft dishes. (Or a weekend rental for Super Bowl, etc.) The dish on the trailer is not one we dealt with, but it was relocated onto one of our slab/pole assemblies many years ago.

Attachments

• trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 764
  • got_it.jpg
    got_it.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 532
Hmmm... might have to go for a drive...
:)
Those are nice heavy duty dishes. Been thinking of.. "obtaining".. one.
Too bad I missed this earlier, could have dropped by and help take it down...

Backhoe and chain had it off the pole and onto the trailer in under a minute.
Removing the arms and loosening the mount the day previous took about 1/2 hour.
Haven't seen it since late last fall(storage area) but it all looked good.
I just don't have the room for it otherwise I'd certainly be using it.
Slew bearing on the pole, actuator replacing the elevation bolt, corotor (dreaming) ASC1 and a V/Gbox Yeah,.

Status
Please reply by conversation.