Anyone Just Getting NPS Service ?

minnow

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 5, 2003
Is anyone just subbing to NPS and not getting any programming whatsoever from Dish ? Thinking about doing just that but afraid when I call Dish to deactivate my 508's, the whole kit-n-kaboodle will go dark.

Be interesting to see if a virgin 301 can be subbed for the DNS with NPS with no Dish sub.

It would be interesting to know if there are DVR fees for NPS only programming, or they just let you sub a DVR (you own not leased) for the regular price.

Well I had ONLY the Locals from L.A.,and now I only had KTLA left on Dishtv...
Went to NPS and got all the distant locals and now I am enjoying watching all the distants at $9 amonth....

It would be interesting to know if there are DVR fees for NPS only programming, or they just let you sub a DVR (you own not leased) for the regular price.

There are no DVR fees. As it should be.
Keep an eye on this company. After reading a letter from its CEO, it quite possibly could mushroom big time. What it takes is correct attitude by the leader, and to me, this company has the right leadership.

So you can get you distant networks with a dvr and not pay any Dish fees? Cool! I wonder how long before Dish figures out how to stop this? IF they can't make any money on it they will kill it via a software update Probably.

You know, I think that would be a very interesting idea. NPS could uplink and offer any channels that Dish doesn't want to carry, and bill customers a la carte. The only problem with this, IIRC, is that Dish usually offers to carry any network a la carte, but the negotiations break down because networks want to be carried in a package, and at a high price. So if a given network won't let Dish sell it a la carte, will they let NPS do so?

I could see the YES network getting a few à la carte subscribers from AAD (All American Direct). :)

I could see the YES network getting a few à la carte subscribers from AAD (All American Direct). :)

I think ALL sports programming should be ala carte or pay per view. No reason to force every subscriber sports channels they do not want. Imagine how cheap service would be without the over priced over rated sports channels.

You know, I think that would be a very interesting idea. NPS could uplink and offer any channels that Dish doesn't want to carry, and bill customers a la carte. The only problem with this, IIRC, is that Dish usually offers to carry any network a la carte, but the negotiations break down because networks want to be carried in a package, and at a high price. So if a given network won't let Dish sell it a la carte, will they let NPS do so?

A la carte programming is ultimately the way to go. The FCC has "encouraged" cable and satellite operators to offer it on their own without a Federal mandate. However, it has encountered predictable resistance by the providers. They say it has technical limitations and would cost subscribers more. That's a bunch of crap!

Most of us would be thrilled paying 50 bucks a month for a basket of channels that we actually watch. That includes distant networks from selected cities.

For NPS to get into the a la carte ballgame, they will need more satellite channel capacity than just the one transponder (8 channels) that they are currently leasing. To stay compatible with Dish equipment, NPS would have to stay on the two main Dish satellites (110 and 119). Sadly, I don't see Dish giving up transponder space to what could end up a full-fledged competitor.

I can see Dish Network renting more transponders to AAD for programming that Dish cannot or will not sell.
As an example, more choices for locals , or Yes Network, or some Canadian locals with FCC approval of course.

Years back, the Canadian CRTC changed their way of thinking in reguard to allowing US superstations into Canada after I wrote André Bureau the CEO of the CRTC and explained to him the real possibilty of the CRTC loosing control of the Canadian TV viewing public who were starting to go to US satellite systems via c-band & Ku band systems using phony US addresses.
If he wanted to keep a leash on, he better start allowing some of my suggested superstations into Canada, otherwise I think he will see a lot more 10' dishes pointing at US satellites. A few weeks later, to my surprise, I received a letter back from Mr.Bureau agreeing with me and all cities which I pointed out were shortly approved as Superstations coming to Canada.

It has started in the US now. Canadian locals are wanted there and people are buying Canadian systems using phony Canadian addresses.
Why? Because none of the satellite providers offer any Canadian locals.
It's the same old, same old.

I doubt very much that Dish would be willing to lease any more transponder space to potential rivals. This DBS fiasco and the subsequent agreement with NPS was a short term fix that benefited both companies. Any future agreements are unlikely as Dish would not be amicable to encouraging a startup company that could compete against them. With the NPS agreement, NPS was not limited to what channels it provided to customers however it was well understood by all that NPS was going to provide DNS, east and west coast feeds which took all the available space on the leased transponder. If NPS was to ask for another transponder and the same open ended agreement, nothing would prevent NPS to offer the same broadcast options that Dish currently offers which Dish would frown upon to out it politely.

NPS will not add many more stations if any at all.....
They really don't have as many people as they used to have on C band Satellite..
NPS used to carry all the FOX Sports networks just over 2 years ago...
But nobody wanted the Fox Sports channels Package......
Really only programing NPS will put up will be for C/KU band satellite....
Wish they would put a few more Locals from the west coast but I am happy just with the SF and Atlanta stations for now...JohnnyT

My NPS/All American Direct Experience

I have been trying to get just the distants for my RV from NPS/All American Direct since December 4th. Took until December 29th to get my RV Declaration approved, and they turned on the channels at their end.

I originally tried to use a pre-paid "Dish Now" 301 receiver, but that did not work. I was told by Dish that the programming in the Dish Now receivers make them incompatible with any other service. Perhaps not unreasonable, so I purchased a previously subscribed 301 receiver including smart card on Ebay.

Tried to get distants on the "new" 301 without success. Talked to NPS and even Dish several times. NPS and their "IT" department showed everything was fine on their end, but still no channels for me, except the "free" channels from Dish. Finally, out of desperation, I re-activated the receiver through Dish, and before I got off the phone, I not only had the Dish package I signed up for, but I also had all eight NPS distants. Don't know what might happen to the distants if I cancel the Dish programming, but this is the story so far.

Are you sure that NPS usage doesn't have DVR or 2nd receiver fees? I am currently "SkyAngel only" (well I was, until I got locals for footbal season). I still have a bill of about $20 to Dish, with no Dish programming (beyond the "free" public interest channels - those were not initially present). The bill is around $25/month with Dallas locals. I own two 522 units.

I would assume it would be similar with NPS. Dominion (who provides SkyAngel) is a separate/competing company to Dish, though they share 61.5 and the equipment.

Brad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)