Anyone know if PBSKids Sprout might come to Dish anytime soon?

samalex

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
Waco, Texas
Just curious, Dish Network has some good channels for Kids, but is there any word on whether or not PBSKids Sprout might come to Dish anytime soon? It's really the one channel I think our kids would watch the most if it were offered, and it has programming that's not available on any of the current kids networks, like The Wiggles which my 2 year old is totally in love with.

Thanks.

This has been asked many times, I believe the answer has always been that Sprout is a subchannel on PBS and PBS seems content to leave it as such. If your local PBS has it, and if you can add an OTA antenna to your system may be the only way to get it for now.

This has been asked many times, I believe the answer has always been that Sprout is a subchannel on PBS and PBS seems content to leave it as such. If your local PBS has it, and if you can add an OTA antenna to your system may be the only way to get it for now.

While true, there are some providers that carry PBS Sprout. Even if it isn't offered by the local PBS affiliate.

While true, there are some providers that carry PBS Sprout. Even if it isn't offered by the local PBS affiliate.

Our local PBS affiliate went off air a few years ago so we have no PBS available OTA anymore, and though Dish does offer one from a nearby market the kids programming is just a few hours in the morning and that's it. Sprout has much different programming over what just PBS offers I'm not sure how offering PBS could be a reason not to offer Sprout. And if that is the reason then why offer TeenNick and NickToons when the same could be said that these are all covered on the standard Nickelodeon channel.

I did find some other posts on here and on other forums where people have down right begged Dish to add this network, but alas I guess it's just not in the cards. I've already submitted a channel request, but I'm not holding my breath.

Take care --

When asked directly, Charlie Ergen's response is the channel is too expensive. This is from years ago, but I'm sure that is still the issue.
DirecTV has Sprout, I think.

PBS Kids is not the same as PBS Sprout. Sprout is a cable channel co-owned by Sesame Workshop, Apax Partners, PBS and NBCUniversal.

Really? I was getting Sprout as a subchannel on the PBS station out of Scranton, at least I remember it as Sprout. I just looked again and it is currently PBS Kids, I didn't realized it changed due to no one in my home watches it. Sorry for the inaccurate post.

Even though I don't watch preschool programing or have kids I do want Dish Network to add Sprout and Disney Jr since Nick Jr has the nerve to air Nick Mom which is not for preschoolers and for adults with TV-14 rated programs. I was shocked.

Even though I don't watch preschool programing or have kids I do want Dish Network to add Sprout and Disney Jr since Nick Jr has the nerve to air Nick Mom which is not for preschoolers and for adults with TV-14 rated programs. I was shocked.

That is one of the most pathetic programming blocks that I have ever seen. I also occurs during prime time on the west coast. There is no place for that crap on a preschool channel. I figure that they must be trying to launch a new channel for idiots and they are testing programming first. Sex talk, led by some dumb bitch, is not a topic I want accidentally stumbled upon while trying to find Team Umizoomi.

yeah I dont understand that either......and the programming is pretty lame
"What was Carol Brady thinking?".....if you've never seen it....take a Brady Bunch episode and add "pop up video" to it....thats pretty much what it is

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)