Anyone know if we will be able to get Redzone Channel a la carte

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mike6097

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
Last year I received the Redzone channel free being a former Sunday Ticket subscriber. Anyone heard if Directv will make that channel available as a standalone?

Thanks,
Mike

Last year I received the Redzone channel free being a former Sunday Ticket subscriber. Anyone heard if Directv will make that channel available as a standalone?

Thanks,
Mike

Maybe, once the agreement is made. Since they did it last year they may offer it again this year. Best bet is to wait until the league has an agreement (hopefully by next Monday) and then call into the retention department and ask for the same deal you received last year.

I don't think they would either. But i guess Anything is possible and I remember Some folks last year saying they got it

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys!!

I don't think they would either. But i guess Anything is possible and I remember Some folks last year saying they got it

If you look at it from the D* side of things, your taking away from your money maker, ST.
They GIVE you RZ with ST.
OTOH, your gaining what, $ 5 from fans that can't or don't want to afford ST ....

Gotta wonder how many would opt OUT of then ST if RZ was available.

Unless your strickly a Fantasy guy, I don't know why you would drop the Ticket, but thats just me.
Personally, I really DON'T like the RZ at all, find it very difficult to watch, seeing they are constantly bouncing from game to game, snap to snap.

Yea I wonder myself how many would opt out. While it not a high difference the NFL redone channel i think does a better presentation when I have seen redzone at friends who have cable/dish

Just my opinion but I would imagine the sports pack biz would go up quite a bit even if they raise if from 12.99 to say 15.99/mo with the RZ. I believe the ST buyers see value in watching their out of market team more so than extra football games, thus, I can't see it being a risk of losing revenue should RZ go to sports pack. Who would watch RZ with the ST anyway? Conversely, I also can't imagine sports pack buyers laying off because of a three buck hike given most buy for out of market college football games anyway. I would guess college football fans would see the value in some extra NFL coverage they wouldn't otherwise get. It just seems RZ being packaged with ST is a wasted revenue opportunity for DTV.

Me personally, last year with dish I setup a TV with the local game on mute and had RZ on another TV with sound. Made for a good day.

Just my opinion but I would imagine the sports pack biz would go up quite a bit even if they raise if from 12.99 to say 15.99/mo with the RZ. I believe the ST buyers see value in watching their out of market team more so than extra football games, thus, I can't see it being a risk of losing revenue should RZ go to sports pack. Who would watch RZ with the ST anyway? Conversely, I also can't imagine sports pack buyers laying off because of a three buck hike given most buy for out of market college football games anyway. I would guess college football fans would see the value in some extra NFL coverage they wouldn't otherwise get. It just seems RZ being packaged with ST is a wasted revenue opportunity for DTV.

Me personally, last year with dish I setup a TV with the local game on mute and had RZ on another TV with sound. Made for a good day.

The thing is, since the RZ became an item, it's always been part of the ST package as far as I know.

The thing is, since the RZ became an item, it's always been part of the ST package as far as I know.

Fine...leave it there. Just make it available on Sports Pack would be my pitch to DTV. To me, DTV has more to gain via SP subs than it will ever lose from ST subs. By and large, ST subs are bought by bars and individuals wanting to watch "their team" from another market. I doubt very few buy ST just to watch additional games for he heck of it. I'm sure DTV has the data on the popularity of ST pre and post RZ channel along with the ratings of each.

Fine...leave it there. Just make it available on Sports Pack would be my pitch to DTV. To me, DTV has more to gain via SP subs than it will ever lose from ST subs. By and large, ST subs are bought by bars and individuals wanting to watch "their team" from another market. I doubt very few buy ST just to watch additional games for he heck of it. I'm sure DTV has the data on the popularity of ST pre and post RZ channel along with the ratings of each.

It depends who makes that call, is it a call that D* makes or a call that the NFL makes ?

Last edited:
D* has an opportunity to make more $ by offering not just rz ala carte, but also single team, division or conference packages. Also this could be done with all sports NBA, MLB, and CI packages not just NFL

Sent from my HTC EVO using SatelliteGuys

It depends who makes that call, is it a cal,lthat D* makes or a call that the NFL makes ?

Good question. Since Dish had RZ on their sports pack, I would guess that is a DirecTV decision. I'd guess both Dish and DirecTV pays a fee for the rights to the channel and then decide for themselves how to maximize the return.

D* has an opportunity to make more $ by offering not just rz ala carte, but also single team, division or conference packages. Also this could be done with all sports NBA, MLB, and CI packages not just NFL

Sent from my HTC EVO using SatelliteGuys

I would think that , THAT call would be one made by the NFL itself.
To sell individual teams, I would imagine that the NFL would have to agree to that .... IF it goes that route some day, I could then see the other providers invited in as well (NFL wants as much as they can) of course thats not happening till the current D* deal is over, (2015 ?)

Good question. Since Dish had RZ on their sports pack, I would guess that is a DirecTV decision. I'd guess both Dish and DirecTV pays a fee for the rights to the channel and then decide for themselves how to maximize the return.

I doubt D* pays anything addl, it was part of the ST from what I recall, all part of the larger package.
I think once D* had it, others saw it and copied it with the NFL's approval.

I wonder if when the season starts we can have a pole on how many actually got redzone standalone

DirecTV did have a package for the 1995-96 season called NBA Team Pass. A quick googling came up with this link. I want to say it was something like $39 for your team, but that was a long time ago.
DirecTv to offer new NBA team package. (DirecTv Inc.; National Basketball Association) - Satellite News | HighBeam Research

They also used to sell ESPN Full Court games ala carte for $3.99.

Saw on another board similar to this one that folks are calling in and asking for it as a stand alone and getting it for free.

I've tried calling but got shot down.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)