my hr-20-100 crashed got a 14-861 message

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

madmadworld

Official TV Watcher
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Apr 7, 2006
up on the roof in SinCity
hi guys
my hr-20-100 crashed got a 14-861 message. called DTV they said it was the hard drive.
can i replace it ?
if so how ?
and what type should i use ?
really like the units have 3 of them.
thanks alot

thanks raoul5788
when i called was given the option of another unit.
but would like to keep this one.

Last edited:
It's most likely a leased unit, yes? If you have the protection plan, Directv will send you another one at no charge. If you don't have the plan, you will have to pay for shipping, only $19.95.

You should be able to plug in an external harddrive and still use the HR20 or if your handy, you can change the internal harddrive like I did, when I had this same problem. Either way, none of your recordings can be salvaged.

You should be able to plug in an external harddrive and still use the HR20 or if your handy, you can change the internal harddrive like I did, when I had this same problem. Either way, none of your recordings can be salvaged.

Good call !

If the code actually is for a bad Hard Drive, the OP could Add a EHD and reboot and that should get it to a point that they can still use the unit.

Whats the big deal with that particular unit ?
OTA Tuner ?
If so, you can add a AM21 box to the newer recvrs to integrate your OTA to the new recvr.

If it is OTA DirecTV tries to replace HR20 with HR20 if you tell them they use OTA. They essentially have a flag on the account that says it uses OTA. I know the diagnostic test at bootup tests internal and external hard drives, and that is where the error code is generated. I don't know that adding an eSATA setup would fix this.

I would recomend paying the $20 and getting a replacement. It does not require contract extension, assuming the unit is leased.

poked around and found the info and......
replaced the internal HD with a 1.5 trig.simple out and in job booted right up.
and re did the fan to make it run always,got power from the HD supply. she runs really cool now.
had done the fan mod on another one a year back and meant to do the other 2 units i have but put it off, sorry about that now duh yes i re did the 3rd unit tooo
yes the OTA tuner gets a much better PQ and did not Know what DTV would send. and the last thing i need is another little box in this set-up LOL (SEE Signature)
sad that i lost a few things it was my main box dang..... the music hurts...tears
thanks for the replies guys

poked around and found the info and......
replaced the internal HD with a 1.5 trig.simple out and in job booted right up.
and re did the fan to make it run always,got power from the HD supply. she runs really cool now.
had done the fan mod on another one a year back and meant to do the other 2 units i have but put it off, sorry about that now duh yes i re did the 3rd unit tooo
yes the OTA tuner gets a much better PQ and did not Know what DTV would send. and the last thing i need is another little box in this set-up LOL (SEE Signature)
sad that i lost a few things it was my main box dang..... the music hurts...tears
thanks for the replies guys

Glad it worked out for you. :up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)