Anyone know why they would ask to do this test?

tinytim

Original poster
May 21, 2009
north east
I have 2 receivers one of which I am using at a different location, second home out of state. As far as they are concerned everything is here. Home receiver works great, had to request the new card. I was never sent a card for the second one so I lost the programing so I brought it to main home where the account resides so I could call & reactivate it and get a card if thats what it needs. I unplugged the homes receiver and plugged this one in and called to proceed. They said I had to talk to the tech department who then told me I needed to have both receivers hooked up at the same time with both on channel 101 so they could run a test. Anyone know what this test is all about..never heard of this before. I will be removing the second reciever again once they reactivate it. Will this test let them know if one receiver is missing or something?
Ive always been able to active a receiver in the past one at a time without this strange test so I am concerned. I am going to have to have a second wire run from the LMB to do this

Regards.

no reason for this just tell them the one that is working is hooked up and have them send a hi to the bad one. make sure they send you a new smart card.

My other receiver needed a card and I called and they asked the R number and serial number and they sent a card. When it arrived they activated it. It was a smooth transaction. I expected I would go through the same with this receiver. Not sure why they are insisting both must be on at the same time and on the 101 channel for some test. They will not turn it back on unless I do this. I have to run a second line just to accommodate this:(

They do this to prevent account stacking. (which you are doing from what you said)

They do this to prevent account stacking. (which you are doing from what you said)

As far as they know the receivers are in my home. Not sure why they would handle this one any different then the other receiver but they are.
After I re activate this can I remove it from my main home or do they have a way to detect it is gone. As long as I pay my bill why would this matter.

Thanks for the replies.

They are trying to enforce their rule which requires a different account at each location. This is to prevent us from giving $5/mo receivers to all our relatives. ;) If your receivers aren't plugged into the same phone line all the time, they can get suspicious and you might get a call from the audit police.

first off, per dish policies, you are account stacking and they will shut you off if you don't pass an audit.

Secondly, many tsr seem to think to run a check switch or to initiate software download that you have to be on ch101. nothing to read into it, just a lack of knowledge on their part. However, since you come here and ask this question, you have a concern that you will be discovered so you treat this "test" as an attempt to discover your theft as is evident by your concern over it. Guilty conscience for sure.

You might want to tell Dish you have a second home and would like to have service there. They now have a snowbird policy and will install a dish at the second home for you and then you can take your receiver back and forth legally. They'll even change your locals to the second home when you're there. All this at no cost to you.

i must say, this has been one of the prouder moments in a satelliteguys forum. tinytim had an issue he didnt know dish didnt allow, not one person "flamed" him like usual account stackers get and he was thankful for the assistance in the situation he was in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)