Anyone make Toroidals that are big enough to receive CBAND?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Here one in South Florida

Hey Guys,

Here in south florida the local NBC station (WTVJ) has on of these big antenna. My friend who work at the station told me that there is only 3 of these antenna being use in the country. I can tell you this antenna is BIG!!!!!!. I took this picture after reading this post. I am not to far from the station (10 minute drive). When they retire the antenna they should give it to some skate board nut. It has a great slope just for that.

Attachments

• dish 086.jpg
    dish 086.jpg
    412.2 KB · Views: 180
My local verizon building has a dish like that, all I have is a google earth image of it, with the google earth ruler it measures 50ft, thats about as wide as the road! I remember the dish being installed around 2000 or when gte became verizon.

Last edited:
now all ya gotta do is find a way to sneak on top of their roof and start running some coax to your house...

They would swing open. Basically, it would be like having two weird looking offset antennas setting vertically. You could even put an actuator on one half to adjust it from inside the house. Half of a 12 foot mesh should bring in enough signal to give you a good picture. I have too much time on my hands to think up these ideas. Maybe I'll try it next summer.
Have fun.

I like your dish setup. Someday I'll have a yard to do it, but it won't be here in expensive California.

Hey Guys,

Here in south florida the local NBC station (WTVJ) has on of these big antenna. My friend who work at the station told me that there is only 3 of these antenna being use in the country. I can tell you this antenna is BIG!!!!!!. I took this picture after reading this post. I am not to far from the station (10 minute drive). When they retire the antenna they should give it to some skate board nut. It has a great slope just for that.

There are many more than just 3...

http://www.atci.net/C_P_SimulsatProjects.htm

Two of my customers still have Simulsat3s on their property. One is still using theirs but the other has dropped their private satellite service for cable.

The Simulsat3 is much smaller than the present Simulsats, with it surface measuring about 12' by 22'. It has the gain of about an 8' prime focus, but its adjacent slot rejection is more like that of a shallow, six or seven footer. As a result, when a satellite in an adjacent slot turns on a digital transponder of the same polarity, but one channel number higher or lower, the analog feedhorn's signal gets degraded and we have to then switch that analog channel to DBS transport, which costs a little more.

The other pain-in-the-butt aspect of these old Simulsat3s is that they were designed back when satellites were 3 degrees apart, and it is not even physically possible to place feedhorns for adjacent satellite reception, which means they can be set up to receive F3 and F4, but I can't fit a G1 feedhorn between them. Nevertheless, they are nice for permitting a C-band system to pick up a signal from an odd satellite at a reasonable marginal cost. We are using one to get Comcast Sports from the 81 degree slot, whereas if I had to install a separate dish for that one program, the cost would have been prohibitive.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Help Pointing Dish From Canada Please

Please help NSS-806

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)