Anyone need a Birdview dish in ABQ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Radzoid

Original poster
Dec 1, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Greetings all.

I'm visiting my folks in Albuquerque, NM, and they've got one of those large Birdview solid white satellite dishes in their backyard. They want it gone.

I joined the forum hoping to find someone that could put it to good use (if it's still useful, that is) as opposed to scrapping it. It's about 8 1/2 feet in diameter mounted on a metal pole about 6" in diameter. The cover on the tripod looking thing is broken.

The Model No. on the dish is AP 2028.
The Model No. on the motor housing (gear box?) is MM 2020.

Thanks.

Attachments

• BirdView.JPG
    BirdView.JPG
    357.2 KB · Views: 283
I own one of those. Great dish.

If anyone is anywhere near Albuquerque you should go get this one. And don't forget the receiver units.

Really, go

Lone Cloud . . . thanks for your reply. I've looked for those receiver units but haven't found them. My dad thinks he dumped them.

Sorry.

Radzoid -

Thanks so much for posting.
Some of us really like those old workhorse dishes.
We want to see each and every one find a new home with an appreciative owner.
Some fellows have driven across state lines to get a BV.
. . . there are even a few members with more than one . . . - :D

Sending a Birdview to the scrap yard is one of the biggest sins you could commit, here on this forum.
So, we'll try to help you find it a good home. - :cool:

Oh, and as for receivers, I'm assuming Lone Cloud was hoping for a more recent 4DTV receiver. :D
I don't know anyone wanting the original Birdview receiver.
If ya do, give me a PM - I think mine is in the garage somewhere.

Anole,

I appreciate your reply and feel a little better about not being able to find the original receivers.

I was just about to hit the "publish ad" button on the local free classifieds offering the dish for scrap. Having read your comments, I'll repent and forego that option.

Thanks again.

I think we have a number of members in AZ, I hope one of them will be able to give this dish a new home. The Birdview dishes are like the first-year T-birds, everybody wants one!

tempting. I'd have to figure out how to get it home, because all my vehicles are sedans and not a truck in the bunch.

Greetings all.

I'm visiting my folks in Albuquerque, NM, and they've got one of those large Birdview solid white satellite dishes in their backyard. They want it gone.

one other thought, are you sure your dad doesn't want to watch the lobos on it? About a $70 investement in a DVB receiver and he can watch much of the Lobos games using that dish - or the aggies games on Aggievision if he likes the enemy better. ;)

Go Lobos! If I didn't live out-of-state, I'd now consider investing in putting it to use. My folks just want it gone.

Thanks for the thought, SkySurfer.

I think I just about have a truck lined up. The dish is located somewhere about a mile from me.

- not too serious:

Mine was about 20 miles, and I threatened to carry it home on my back if necessary!
They're pretty heavy, so I wouldn't recommend more than a 100 yard haul, and then only if you are fit as hell! - :D
If you're dragging it, I recommend wet grass. :cool: And golf shoes, for traction.

See my signature for moving suggestions, but also search for many threads by other members who've hauled Birdviews.
Linuxman has probably relocated more than most folks.

Thanks to this forum, the Bird View in ABQ has found a new home -- and it isn't the local scrap yard. Turns out SkySurfer is less than a mile from my folk's house. He's now the new owner.

I (and especially my folks) REALLY appreciate the assistance of this forum and the members who contributed in helping me in this endeavor. What a valuable resource all of you are in this regard.

Keep up the good work!

We'll be looking forward to Sky's pictures of the removal and re-install!
Always happy to see an old dog like that be relocated and appreciated by a new family! - :cool:

As for you, Rad, do look through our multitude of forum departments.
Perhaps you'll enjoy some the many we have, and at least the Off The Air forum.
The community here is vast and diverse, and we're always happy to have a new member.
Of course, if FTA in any of its many forms appeals to ya, you know where we are! - :up
So, don't be a stranger - :D

We'll be looking forward to Sky's pictures of the removal and re-install!

didn't get any pictures of the removal. I can take pictures of the pieces and another picture once i get it installed -- waiting for what is bound to be warm NM weather during the winter so I can do concrete pour/curing.

EDIT: Does anyone know the info about the Birdview gear box? Is it like a typical TVRO actuator in that it takes up to 36V DC with power polarity determining steering direction? I don't need the sensor as I will be driving it by spectrum analyzer looking for feeds/new services. I have a 24V DC power supply with an old apollo actutor controller box (for the switch part) that would be perfect for this application if the birdview gear box is like a normal TVRO actuator in its requirements.

It was great hearing radzoid giving me a great TVRO recollection when he was talking about watching the NFL football games (before Sunday Ticket even existed!). I'm sure they were humming the birdview each sunday between the two major birds that had football games on them!

Also great to hear the brief mention radzoid gave me about one of you here at satguys (username was withheld when he recalled the story). Man, whoever you are, you are crazy! ;)

thanks to radzoid and family for thinking of this group/me instead of the scrap yard. This hobbyist will use it a lot for sports/network feeds and the birdview will be lovingly taken care of!

I (and especially my folks) REALLY appreciate the assistance of this forum and the members who contributed in helping me in this endeavor. What a valuable resource all of you are in this regard.

are you sure we can't talk your dad into a 36" dish for the Lobos mtn. games? ;) I know he said the network is horrible, but most of the lobos games are broadcast by them.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
About a mile? Who needs a truck... grab the neighbor's kid and ask him if he want's to make a quick 20 bucks... :D :D

that would have been funny to be seen hauling a birdview through the neighborhoods of Albuquerque. ;) It works out there isn't even a main street to cross if one were to attempt carrying it through the neighborhoods.

EDIT: Does anyone know the info about the Birdview gear box? Is it like a typical TVRO actuator in that it takes up to 36V DC with power polarity determining steering direction?

Yes, that is how it works.

Please post some pics when you get a chance, nice to see another BV saved from the scrappers, thanks Radzoid. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

How many 4dtv subs are there?

scored my first ever 7 foot c-ban dish have questions about recievers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)