Anyone own a Samsung BD-P1200?

tjwgrr

Route of the Northliners
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
Western Michigan
Wondering if anyone has any comments or reviews on the Samsung BD-P1200? Prices are getting more and more attractive. I've found them as low as $450.00 delivered.

CNET's review gives their nod to the Samsung BD-P1200 and the Panasonic DMP-BD10A over the new Sony BDP-S300.

Wife keeps saying to "wait... prices will go even lower," but Christmas may come early this year. :smug

Wondering if anyone has any comments or reviews on the Samsung BD-P1200? Prices are getting more and more attractive. I've found them as low as $450.00 delivered.

CNET's review gives their nod to the Samsung BD-P1200 and the Panasonic DMP-BD10A over the new Sony BDP-S300.

Wife keeps saying to "wait... prices will go even lower," but Christmas may come early this year. :smug

Yes! We got our BD-P1200 a few days ago and really like it. We paid $355 on eBay! Sealed! (Plus shipping, but no sales tax.)

Pros -- Excellent PQ. :rainbow BD is superb, and upconversions are very clear and HD-like.

Cons -- I read a few complaints (mainly at AVS) about some of the digital audio features and/or connectivity. Doesn't affect me because we use 5.1 analog audio. You might want to explore the digital audio capabilities if that is a concern.

Just depends on how eager you are. The next Sammy model will be out in a couple of months. You have to count on having an out of date model quickly, no matter what you buy. The other consideration is that the BD standard is evolving, and there are disclaimers in the manual that this player may not be fully compatible with Profile 1.1 or whatever. However, the BD-P1200 does have an ethernet port for firmware upgrades (or you can download and burn a CD), and my understanding is that Profile 1.1 will only affect some proposed extra features on the BD, not the ability to show the movie.

We just joined BB online, and they have a LOT of BD titles available right now. Filling up our BD queue.....

Yes! We got our BD-P1200 a few days ago and really like it. We paid $355 on eBay! Sealed! (Plus shipping, but no sales tax.)...

I saw those - good deal. Are those factory re-furb units with full warranty?

Thanks for your comments.... not a matter of if, just when to pull the plug on purchasing a BR player since it appears BR is going to be the format that prevails.

I had a Samsung BDP1000, was good player with good PQ. From everything I read the BDP1200 is one of the top(if not the top) BR player right now. The Reon chip is supposed to work wonders on PQ.

1080iBeVuMin, Congradulations! I am glad you did not listen to the naysayers and pulled the Samsung out of the box. I hope you are enjoying your movies more. How do you like the analog setup? Does the PCM soundtracks sound good over your receiver?

Keep an eye out on Amazon.com. They constantly have BD sales going on. If they still have their BD club open you can join and get an additional 10% off. Don't know if that is still available but their low prices are hard to beat. I very seldom pay more the $18 for a BD title thats been out for awhile or $22 - $24 for a new release.

Latest buy was for "The Guardian" $21.56, "The Patriot" 17.96, "Wild Things" $17.96 and "The Fifth Element(Remastered) for $17.96. And since I am never in a hurry I always get free shipping. They also have special sales:

Amazon Offers Select Disney Blu-ray Discs at 46 Percent Off List | High-Def Digest

This is a great way to build your BD library -- enjoy!!

I saw those - good deal. Are those factory re-furb units with full warranty?

Yes. Everything wrapped and sealed like a brand new unit.

FYI, here are a couple of thorough reviews:
Ultimate AV: Samsung BD-P1200 Blu-ray Player
EXCLUSIVE: First Review of the Samsung BD-P1200 » HDGURU.Com

Here is the BD-P1200 manual:
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/200703/20070302185146703_1357A-BD-P1200_XAA_ENG_BM.pdf

I also found this: "The BD-P1200 doesn't drop resolution of discs recorded in 1080i like the rest when converting to 1080p. The Silicon Optix Reon chip does wonders not only to SD DVD but to HD conversions as well. Most, if not all, players tested dropped 1080i to 540p to convert to 1080p. Most concerts, documentaries, etc. are recorded in 1080i."

The BD-P1200 player is it.... at the moment. ;)

.... it appears BR is going to be the format that prevails.

In retrospect we may say the critical point in the format war was when BB went with Blu-Ray. Now the dominoes are falling or shoes are dropping or.... pick your favorite metaphor.

1080iBeVuMin, Congradulations! I am glad you did not listen to the naysayers and pulled the Samsung out of the box. I hope you are enjoying your movies more. How do you like the analog setup? Does the PCM soundtracks sound good over your receiver?

Thanks, JoeSp. This player is excellent. I wish I had time to just sit and watch BD movies all day. :) The analog audio setup is fine. But in that one area I think my OPPO upconverter had more flexibility -- ability to set the channel delay and to simulate 5.1 on stereo DVDs. The BD-P1200 renders stereo DVDs only in stereo.

We will probably upgrade to digital audio at some point and take more advantage of this player's capabilities.

Just FYI:
Samsung players (P1000, P1200, even the dual format 5000) use Broadcom SoC 7440.
That means it will not support Profile 1.1, no PiP, no DTS MA.

The 5000 Duo can use storage and ethernet with HD DVD only.
Today @ PC World Samsung Dual-Format High-Def Player Does Blu-ray and HD DVD
"Later in the day I met with Samsung's Maria Colon, marketing manager, and Reid Sullivan, vice president of marketing; they clarified that the BD-UP5000's storage and picture-in-picture would only work or HD DVD discs, not Blu-ray Discs. Sullivan also said that Samsung would not have a Blu-ray player with the updated specs until 2008."

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts