Anyone see Michael Jordan's Hall of Fame speech?

Speaking of inductions, I watched the entire thing. I did appreciate that MJ was one of the few who spoke off the cuff and from the heart. Jerry Sloan on the other hand... oh my. That was one of the most boring speeches ever! I think I even started to doze off during it! Great guy and all, but come on. Did you really need to read word for word in monotone your entire speech? What a snoozer!

... he was NOT gonna have the COMPLETE world's attention like he did that night...
He probably had the complete NBA fanbase's attention (or most of it), but the world's? That's an overestimation of the appeal of the NBA.

Although I was never a fan of the Bulls (or any Chicago team) I like Jordan a lot. He is a class act compared to the overbearing personalities that are out there. :up

He probably had the complete NBA fanbase's attention (or most of it), but the world's? That's an overestimation of the appeal of the NBA.

Although I was never a fan of the Bulls (or any Chicago team) I like Jordan a lot. He is a class act compared to the overbearing personalities that are out there. :up

I don't think so....especially what he said...?!! This has been played world wide because of what he said.

I don't think so....especially what he said...?!! This has been played world wide because of what he said.
That's true I suppose. But I still say it's only of interest to NBA fans. I am not a fan of the NBA and would not have even known about what he said if not for reading it here.

That's true I suppose. But I still say it's only of interest to NBA fans. I am not a fan of the NBA and would not have even known about what he said if not for reading it here.

Very strange time of year to hold Hall of Fame induction ceremonies. This flew totally under the radar. Many NBA fans don't even know it happened.

Sandra

Well..I am not sure what the 500 people who viewed the broadcast thought of MJ's speech, but I came away thinking he sure didn't receive much in the way of an education while attending NC. Seriously, who would hire this guy for a public speaking engagement? While the man can surely dribble a basketball, I don't think he uttered one complete sentence...and he dangled his participles all over the stage. The terms clod and buffoon came to mind during the 9-minutes I viewed this dullard speak on YouTube. Anyway, other than MJ's disjointed and nonsensical mutterings, I honestly couldn't make heads or tails of what he was trying to say?:confused: Zip it up, Jordan! I feel embarrased for his professors at NC. :eek:

This has been my opinion...and I am always right about my opinion. ;)

Well..I am not sure what the 500 people who viewed the broadcast thought of MJ's speech, but I came away thinking he sure didn't receive much in the way of an education while attending NC. Seriously, who would hire this guy for a public speaking engagement? While the man can surely dribble a basketball, I don't think he uttered one complete sentence...and he dangled his participles all over the stage. The terms clod and buffoon came to mind during the 9-minutes I viewed this dullard speak on YouTube. Anyway, other than MJ's disjointed and nonsensical mutterings, I honestly couldn't make heads or tails of what he was trying to say?:confused: Zip it up, Jordan! I feel embarrased for his professors at NC. :eek:

To be fair to Jordan, the NBA is not exactly filled with Rhodes Scholars overall. Jordan just had the stage because of his immense ability.

Nor is the NFL, NHL, or MLB for that matter. For every Mike Richter or Tony Gwynn who you can stick a microphone in front of and just let it flow, there are hundreds who were out the day they taught English language skills.

The strangeness of the speech was in it's content.

Sandra

Very strange time of year to hold Hall of Fame induction ceremonies. This flew totally under the radar. Many NBA fans don't even know it happened.

Sandra

Good point. With the start of the pro/college football seasons and the winding down of the MLB season leading into the playoffs, there is an awful lot to overshadow the event. Wonder why they have it now, and where is the NBA HOF?

This wasn't the first time Jordan has spoken in public unless you've been living under a rock for the last 25 years. He's always been well spoken. Quit trying to make it out like he spoke ebonics or something.

The bottom line is people always wanted to know what drove Jordan, what made him so good? You asked. He answered. If the truth scares you don't ask the question. In the immortal words of Jack Nicholson "You can't handle the truth!"

Good point. With the start of the pro/college football seasons and the winding down of the MLB season leading into the playoffs, there is an awful lot to overshadow the event. Wonder why they have it now, and where is the NBA HOF?
It's in Springfield, MA.

Springfield, Massachusetts

The only HOF of the big 3 sports that I've never been to.

I'll have you know that Michael Jordan had speech issues as I child where he had a stuttering problem. Not too many people know that, and went on and became one of the greatest sports figures of all time AND one of the most well known human beings ever.....he did pretty good. :rolleyes:

This wasn't the first time Jordan has spoken in public unless you've been living under a rock for the last 25 years. He's always been well spoken. Quit trying to make it out like he spoke ebonics or something.

The bottom line is people always wanted to know what drove Jordan, what made him so good? You asked. He answered. If the truth scares you don't ask the question. In the immortal words of Jack Nicholson "You can't handle the truth!"

:up

I'll have you know that Michael Jordan had speech issues as I child where he had a stuttering problem. Not too many people know that, and went on and became one of the greatest sports figures of all time AND one of the most well known human beings ever.....he did pretty good. :rolleyes:
I don't disagree...just assumed a 46-year businessman would be able to deliver a decent speech. He certainly isn't camera shy.

Saw this on si.com. I like the comparison at the end:

So you want to be like Mike? You want to be a legend who holds petty grudges and won't let old feuds die? In his Hall of Fame induction speech, the greatest player of all time couldn't help but knock guys like Bryon Russell and Jerry Krause, as well as his old high school coach and the player whom the coach picked instead of Jordan for the varsity team. It was like hearing Tom Hanks trash Peter Scolari and the cast of Bosom Buddies after winning the Academy Award.

What in the world are you talking about? I asked no questions. I expected no answers. I simply pointed out his speech was filling with rambling diatribes directed toward the great unwashed (e.g., fans, coaches, other players). While I have never been a fan of the "trash talkers", there is time and place for everything.

Michael Jordan's time and place in history is to assume the role of an elder statesman and an ambassador of goodwill for the basketball. There is no question MJ failed miserably in his new role. While you are certainliy entitled to your opinion, it would be a wrong one. ;)

Appropriate Quote:

"It's hard to listen to a filthy-rich man complain about the price of tickets for his enshrinement in his sport's hall of fame. But that, among other cringe-worthy moments is exactly what Michael Jordan did."

What in the world are you talking about? I asked no questions. I expected no answers. I simply pointed out his speech was filling with rambling diatribes directed toward the great unwashed (e.g., fans, coaches, other players). While I have never been a fan of the "trash talkers", there is time and place for everything.

Michael Jordan's time and place in history is to assume the role of an elder statesman and an ambassador of goodwill for the basketball. There is no question MJ failed miserably in his new role. While you are certainliy entitled to your opinion, it would be a wrong one. ;)

Appropriate Quote:

"It's hard to listen to a filthy-rich man complain about the price of tickets for his enshrinement in his sport's hall of fame. But that, among other cringe-worthy moments is exactly what Michael Jordan did."
I was referring to the public's questions. He was answering the public. People are always badgering him with questions like "What's it like to be Michael Jordan", and "Where did you get your motivation from?" Jordan simply explained that he was driven by various slights against him. Some were real, some were perceived. You can say it's petty and he should let it go, but he was honest. Now people act like they're shocked. What a bitter man he is. Fine. But Jordan is hardly alone. I can't wait to hear Kobe Bryant's induction speech. Of course if he has any sense he'll just say he played for the love of the game, and to make children happy. :rolleyes: Cough, Bullsh!t, cough.

I don't disagree...just assumed a 46-year businessman would be able to deliver a decent speech. He certainly isn't camera shy.

I have seen him do more interviews than ANYONE on here, live and in person. He is a good speaker when he had to slowly think things through and be PC. When he was shooting from the hip, as they say...he would speak the way he would talk to friends and relatives. ALL you have to do is go back and see a couple of Michael Jordans' interviews and you will see that. In a controled environment, he was/is as good a speaker as ANY CEO you have ever heard.