anyone tweaked/modified the IR sensor in their 722?

STL

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
St. Louis, MO
The sensor in my 722 doesn't seem work well with IR blasters (from a IR distribution system). Ever since switching to DISH, I thought the fact the carrier frequency of their IR (56kHz versus the typical 40kHz) was why my IR distribution system didn't work very well with my 722. I recently installed the DISH IR converter that allows TV2 to be controller via IR, and it works SO much better. I have the same IR blaster pointing to the 722's internal IR sensor as well as the TV2 IR converter's sensor (placed on the front of my 722) and the latter picks up the signals MUCH better than the internal sensor. So now that I know the issue is really with the IR sensor in the 722, I'm wondering if anyone has opened up their unit and done any slight/simple modifications to make it see IR better.

I found the 722 has an awesome pick up. At times it is almost RF like...I dont have any mirrors around so I am not sure what it bounces off of.

Hmmm, maybe my 722 has an issue -- that might be all the more reason for me to open it up and take a look. The remote I use while in the same room as the 722 works okay, but my IR blaster (that works great with IR sensor on the new TV2 IR converter) doesn't work well at all with the IR sensor in my 722.

I use the IR sensor on my 722 exclusively with my Hava IR blaster, and it works great. I never used the Dish IR remote with it at all, since it's sitting in an equipment closet in my basement.

Like most of the above, I can shoot perpendicular to the receiver and nearly opposite with no problems.

Actually I experimented with my remote (in the same room with the 722) some more, and it does work very well -- but my blaster still works poorly. So now I'm even more confused; how can the internal IR sensor works so well with a remote but so poorly blaster -- when the blaster works so well with the DISH TV2 IR converter IR sensor?

TheKrell,
Is the blaster you are using one that sits in front of the eye and shoot towards it -- like the ones pictured here: http://www.myhava.com/images/desc/HAVAPlatinumBoxContents.jpg? The ones shown there look just like the ones I am using. Exactly how and where (in relation to the 722) is yours positioned?

Last edited:
Is the blaster you are using one that sits in front of the eye and shoot towards it -- like the ones pictured here: http://www.myhava.com/images/desc/HAVAPlatinumBoxContents.jpg? The ones shown there look just like the ones I am using. Exactly how and where (in relation to the 722) is yours positioned?
Yup, that's the one, only my cable is about 6' long and not the short stubby thing in that drawing. Monsoon recommends using the double-faced tape to stick it over top of the receiver aimed right at the IR sensor. But that seemed like such overkill that I just rested it on top of my water heater, about 3' away.

...I just rested it on top of my water heater, about 3' away.
Hmmm, well maybe mine is too close then (and thus overpowering the 722's IR sensor).

Jim5506 said:
Perhaps the IR LED is weak or failing.
I don't think that is the issue because the same IR LED works very, very well with DISH TV2 IR converter's IR sensor -- and the IR LED is actually mounted closer to the 722's IR sensor too.

The sensor in my 722 doesn't seem work well with IR blasters (from a IR distribution system). Ever since switching to DISH, I thought the fact the carrier frequency of their IR (56kHz versus the typical 40kHz) was why my IR distribution system didn't work very well with my 722. I recently installed the DISH IR converter that allows TV2 to be controller via IR, and it works SO much better. I have the same IR blaster pointing to the 722's internal IR sensor as well as the TV2 IR converter's sensor (placed on the front of my 722) and the latter picks up the signals MUCH better than the internal sensor. So now that I know the issue is really with the IR sensor in the 722, I'm wondering if anyone has opened up their unit and done any slight/simple modifications to make it see IR better.

I had problems with my 722. My IR blaster worked fine with all the other equipment. Found a thread somewhere here that certain LCD tv's mess with the IR freq Dish uses. I called and they agreed and sent me a UHF remote for TV1 on the 722. Now, no more problems. The IR blaster worked fine as long as the tv was off. (I hooked up an old 12" CRT set instead of the Vizio LCD set)

Yea, I found out about that issue early on, but the problem I am experiencing occurs in locations where my TVs are actually CRTs (and even when none of the LCDs in other rooms are even powered on).

I use a Harmony remote, and find that it has problems some times. Not really sure what circumstances cause the problems, but I have had instances where it would not work even inches away. The problem only occurs for a few minutes and is fairly rare ( few times a week).

I use a Harmony remote, and find that it has problems some times. Not really sure what circumstances cause the problems, but I have had instances where it would not work even inches away. The problem only occurs for a few minutes and is fairly rare ( few times a week).

My IR remote would work in the early morning when the room was filled with sunlight. But that's not when I usually watch tv.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)