Anyone using internet phone service ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimMcC

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 4, 2004
Can anyone recommend the internet phone service you have?
Have you had many problems?
I have broadband internet with TWC, but their phone service is way too expensive. Thanks.

http://www.lingo.com/

PM me if your interested and I'll PM you my email as the referral for a $25 credit after 3mos to each of us.

$22.09/mo, all taxes included for me based out of TX.

($19.95/mo + tx).

LER

I have been using Vonage for about 1 1/2 years without a problem. I pay $14/mo for 500 outgoing mins. Incoming mins. are unlimited. There is unlimited outgoing service available for $25.

I, too, can provide a referral, if you're interested, which will get you a free month.

while I cant do a referral some clients I have done work for I have set up their office phones on VOIP.. Lingo has local service for us and Vonage has Louisville numbers so it just depends on what they want as to which service I use. However so far both have been outstanding.

I've been using Vonage for 13 months. While there are the occasional hick up (like last week, call quality was very poor for a couple of hours, they say to do their ISP having issues) overall I'm happy with them. Pay $39.90 for the unlimited plan plus a 2nd line for faxing that comes with 250 minutes of outbound calling on it and this includes taxes/fees. Plus my 911 service is directed to the local fire department, not a regional service.

Well, my landline service just increased a couple more bucks. We're now paying $39.66 a month, with all applicable taxes, for a phone we rarely use. I could save $10 by getting rid of Caller ID and non-published number service, but I can't see having a phone without those features. I have been holding off for Verizon FiOS service, but that may not happen until Fall 2006/Spring 2007. I am having a hard time justifying paying $40 to make and receive a dozen or so local calls each month.

What are you using for Broadband? if it's not DSL or tied to your landline, look at the above mentioned VoIP providers. They are **ALL** cheaper than the $40/mo.

LER

Adelphia is the only broadband provider in town...and they are also not reliable. I have been thinking of dropping the landline, using our cell phones, and adding the Vonage's basic $15 package for fax. I was hoping to wait for FiOS, but the rates for basic phone service have jumped from $25 to $40 over the past two years. Looks like I may be dumping the landline pretty soon.

I have had Packet8 VoIP for a while now and it has been flawless.

$19.95/mo

Unlimited calls LD & all the popular phone features with the only TRUE 911 service (for now, they are all being forced to add it).

I have Packet8 on Wireless Broadband and I have issues on and off all the time. My wife won't us it so I am still paying $50 a month for a landline without extras.
The broadband comes from a tower to an antenna/receiver on the roof. I lose packets occasionally (cuts out) and sometimes is sounds like the teacher on Charlie Brown wah, wah, wah. My isp provider blames PKT8 and they blame the ISP.
I am going to drop them.

We use Vonage here. With taxes it's $27.24 for unlimited local and long distance.

You can get a dedicated fax line with Vonage for only $10 more a month.

Kordster said:
I have Packet8 on Wireless Broadband and I have issues on and off all the time. My wife won't us it so I am still paying $50 a month for a landline without extras.
The broadband comes from a tower to an antenna/receiver on the roof. I lose packets occasionally (cuts out) and sometimes is sounds like the teacher on Charlie Brown wah, wah, wah. My isp provider blames PKT8 and they blame the ISP.
I am going to drop them.

I would blame lack of Signal Quality... cant remember the abbreviation righ tnow.

I have VERIZON'S VOICEWING phone service and it works GREAT! They supplied me with a state of the art linksys phone modem which looks sharp "cool blue lights on it", its half the size of my motorola sb5100 cable modem.. I pay $19.95 a month, 500 outgoing and unlimited incoming.. And they waive $39.95 activation fee for new customers, so worked out great for me, beats paying $42 a month which i was paying with qwest...

Vonage at $24.99 a month witha virtual number in another area code. Unlimited service. they too offeran E9911 service but you must register your address with them.

I had vonage and liked it. I had pretty frequent echo but for the money it's hard to beat.

I only got away from it because of the TV / Internet / Phone VDSL bundle I was able to get through my telco (Qwest). If I got Vonage free it would have been more expensive than my bundle deal.

Shawn

There's a Company called Champion Communications that's doing VOIP. I believe they're looking for Franchiser's. Getting in on the ground floor might be proffitable. Do a Google search.

Al

Kordster said:
I am going to drop them.

Which one? It's very likely your ISP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)