Anyone with Voom and DTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Alvarez

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 19, 2004
Brownsburg, IN
The reason I originally left D* was because NFL Network was so compressed and especially on replays they would pause the play and it was "blocky" like someone had maximized the picture and it shouldn't have been.

I was told these issues were fixed with new satellites up in the air. Although its still SD but I was told the picture on D* was equal to the picture on Voom now.

Can anyone confirm this by doing a side by side of them? I am back to DTV full time on the 31st of this month and hoping its at least as good as Voom's PQ. I think voom's PQ of NFL network is pretty darn good and worlds better than D* PQ of the channel last NFL season.

heres some of what DTV had said in reply when I asked them about it :

Dear Tony,

Thanks for asking about High Definition Television (HDTV). DIRECTV was
the first national broadcast service to offer HDTV programming, and
we're proud to offer you an unbeatable selection of programming
featuring this exciting technology. For the channels we carry in HDTV
format, DIRECTV provides a turn-around service. This means we receive
and transmit the content without decompressing and compressing content,
so the resolution provided to the customer is exactly the same as the
resolution transmitted to DIRECTV by the program providers.

Our newest package for customers with HDTV equipment delivers the most
popular channels available, including ESPN HD, Discovery HD Theater,
HDNet and HDNet Movies, as well select NFL Network programs. Additional
premium HD channels are available with subscriptions to the premium
package that contains them: HBO HD is included in the HBO package;
Showtime HD is included in Showtime package; and select NFL SUNDAY
TICKET games (subject to blackout and game availability restrictions)
are available with a subscription to NFL SUNDAY TICKET. We also offer HD
pay per view movies, and sometimes free NBA games (blackout restrictions
apply) on channel 85. Visit DIRECTV.com/HDTV to read all about our HDTV
service and the equipment you need to receive those channels.

We also recently began offering CBS-HD to customers in selected areas of
the country where we have permission from the local broadcasters, and we
hope to have an agreement with FOX to offer their HDTV broadcasts soon.
Visit DIRECTV.com/HDChannels to see if CBS-HD is available in your area.

In addition, most high-definition DIRECTV receivers allow you to get
your high-definition broadcasts from your local networks by using an
off-air (rooftop) antenna in combination with your HDTV equipment. If
you have this setup, your local channels appear on the DIRECTV on-screen
guide for easy selection. For more information on how to get HDTV
broadcasts using an off-air antenna, check with your local HDTV
retailer.

We are committed to continue providing the best in HDTV programming and
we're in constant discussions with various program providers to increase
the number of high definition programs we offer. Stay tuned to
DIRECTV.com/HDTV for the latest news and announcements as they become
available.

Sincerely,

Ed
DIRECTV Customer Service

I've had Voom since May, my in-laws have D* on a 55" widescreen, the SD picture on Voom equals D* on all SD channels in my opinion and both offer comprable HD picture, with Voom having the slight edge on every HD channel that isn't HDNet. It's just that VOom offers MORE of it. Voom has had growing "pains" in the past but they just added Fox Sports Net Florida Standard and HD which means more local sports for us Floridians in HD.

It looks they plan to add RSN for several markets, also NFL Voom HD is expected to start around the end of the Olympics with plans to air several NFL games in HD weekly. Voom doesn't have a bad offer, however if you've already sunk $$$ into buying D's equipment I don't see why you'd have to leave.

Dvlos said:
I've had Voom since May, my in-laws have D* on a 55" widescreen, the SD picture on Voom equals D* on all SD channels in my opinion and both offer comprable HD picture, with Voom having the slight edge on every HD channel that isn't HDNet. It's just that VOom offers MORE of it. Voom has had growing "pains" in the past but they just added Fox Sports Net Florida Standard and HD which means more local sports for us Floridians in HD.

It looks they plan to add RSN for several markets, also NFL Voom HD is expected to start around the end of the Olympics with plans to air several NFL games in HD weekly. Voom doesn't have a bad offer, however if you've already sunk $$$ into buying D's equipment I don't see why you'd have to leave.

I have Voom right now and am having D* installed on the 31st I have money in it now but just wanted to confirm that the picture of NFL Network is better than it was a year ago. It was either my old old receiver or it was all the compression (I was told prolly the compression)

DirectV Tier 2 tech support said they lowered the compression after adding new satellites and having a little bit more room to spread out on NFL Network. Although I wanted a confirmation of this. I am very pleased with the picture quality of Voom NFL Network, It is worlds better than the picture I had with DirectV over a year ago.

As I said in Home Theater magazine they say the PQ is identical between V* and D* and people have told me the same. So I figure they addressed the issues on that channel.

I have Voom, D* and cable (Comcast). I use cable only for RedSox games; I occasionally use D* to check the PQ on HDNet. There are no channels on D* that I am interested in and that are not available on Voom. Initially, I subscribed to Voom as a HD add-on to D* but quickly Voom became my primary service as I don't watch SD much. :)

andrzej said:
I subscribed to Voom as a HD add-on to D* but quickly Voom became my primary service as I don't watch SD much. :)

I had Comcast before Voom, now they are coming out with some new plans, and I am just not interested. I can go check out D* and E* at my other families homes. At first I thought $100+ for VaVaVoom was too much for entertainment, (I usually go to the movies a lot and buy movies on DVD). My wife initially was like "Why are we paying so much for less channels and not even Internet?" Then we started catching HD programs... now she's like "How much for some kind of HD recorder? When is it coming out? How come most of the 'nice stuff' (women code for HD) is mainly sports?"

Heh I guess I'm "stuck" with HDTV. I gotta say that D* is aggressive with it's marketing, and V* has had its share of problems, that initially I thought I made a mistake. I'm glad I hung around though, I am very happy with my Voom lately.

I have both and the PQ is better on DTV. Of course that means I'm watching HDnet! Voom has more HD but DTV has the best HD. More HD on DTV to come soon!

Seawaves said:
I have both and the PQ is better on DTV. Of course that means I'm watching HDnet! Voom has more HD but DTV has the best HD. More HD on DTV to come soon!

My question is specifically directed toward NFL Network which is standard definition though...

NFL network is fine on D*
allow me.....all the Voomers posting here are telling you NFLHD on NFL network, but fail to mention they will be delayed
as for all the HD channels Voom has,,,,,,yes they have more but not a damn thing worth watching, you will be watching SD

Now that I have D* installed, and used to be a V* customer... Clearly D*'s HD is better its absolutlely stunning... Although on the SD end of things NFL Network and a few other channels that I watch don't look as crisp as they did on V*

I used to be a D* customer a year ago and NFL Network has improved it looks like though (used to be real blocky, but that coulda been my old receiver... dunno *shrug)

I don't think all of Direct's HD is stunning. I have seen the best HD on HDNET and Discovery, and ESPN but also have seen some bad on ESPN too. The HD on CBS is blocky with fast action. The football that I have seen on CBS on Direct looks pretty crappy.You can tell the sorry quality of Direct HD right there (ch 80 and 81). Bravo looks ok but there is blocks there too on alot of stuff. My signal is in the 90's on all 3 Satellites. I think Direct is cheating HD customers with the picture quality. (my opinion)

Lem52

I have both DTV and VOOM and it seems to me that HDNET used to have the WOW affect and now it simply doesn't. I do a side by side comparison with DiscHD on D and V and really they are very close in PQ to one another. Bravo is the same....and I feel that Voom's picture quality has improved while DirecTV's has not.

The only channel that had an absolute *WOW* factor was HDNews on V*... Rave had a few shining times, but so much of that content repeated.

Combined with their horrible customer service, and the audio and video cut outs constantly happening on all the channels... for me there is no contest..

All I need now is NFL Network HD and I will be totally set!

Bravo HD did an unwritten law:Live show today where they played from odd locations that was pretty tight also.

I completely disagree, D*'s HDNet has been reported to use filtering, and their PQ jumps and varies greatly. I keep seeing V*'s PQ improving over time, this month it has stalled, check back with Voom's PQ after they move to the elliptical dish.

Dvlos said:
I completely disagree, D*'s HDNet has been reported to use filtering, and their PQ jumps and varies greatly. I keep seeing V*'s PQ improving over time, this month it has stalled, check back with Voom's PQ after they move to the elliptical dish.

"Thanks for asking about High Definition Television (HDTV). DIRECTV was
the first national broadcast service to offer HDTV programming, and
we're proud to offer you an unbeatable selection of programming
featuring this exciting technology. For the channels we carry in HDTV
format, DIRECTV provides a turn-around service. This means we receive
and transmit the content without decompressing and compressing content,
so the resolution provided to the customer is exactly the same as the
resolution transmitted to DIRECTV by the program providers."

Couldn't D* get in trouble for writing this to customers then?

Yes it could... compare all of D*'s HD with local OTA HD channels that are not using substations.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)