Anyway to use Hulu plus on roku w/o a credit card?

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
I want to try out the "free week" of Huluplus on the roku but it says I have to register. Ok no biggie
Then it wants a credit card so it can bill me $8 after the free week

Anyway to try the free week THEN decide if I want to pay them $8? I'd rather do that then give them the credit card info and have to deal with them if I cancel.

I want to try out the "free week" of Huluplus on the roku but it says I have to register. Ok no biggie
Then it wants a credit card so it can bill me $8 after the free week

Anyway to try the free week THEN decide if I want to pay them $8? I'd rather do that then give them the credit card info and have to deal with them if I cancel.

Unless there is some trick I don't know about,the credit card is required.That way if you forget to cancel they can hook ya for the $8.As I recall it was kind of a pain to get to the do not renew/cancel page as well.

good to know. The only reason I wanted to try it was because WWE has their shows on HuluPlus day after. Thinking of possibly dropping Directv down (saving some money) and if the picture quality was good for $8 a month it wouldnt be bad (plus the other Hulu stuff)

But if its crap I dont want to go through the pain of cancelling and then hoping they dont charge the cc

good to know. The only reason I wanted to try it was because WWE has their shows on HuluPlus day after. Thinking of possibly dropping Directv down (saving some money) and if the picture quality was good for $8 a month it wouldnt be bad (plus the other Hulu stuff)

But if its crap I dont want to go through the pain of cancelling and then hoping they dont charge the cc

Well don't take what I said as the gospel.:D I just was unable to find a way to get the free trial without a card.I can say the video quality was very good with a 6Mb connection.The thing that annoyed me the most was paying $8 plus having to endure commercials.Several days before the trial was up I made sure to cancel.

I also do not understand why a credit card is needed for a free trial.

Teehar explained it the best....they want you to forget and get billed

I just wish you could use it for a week then it shuts off unless you pay. Simple as that

I read somewhere that the difference between Hulu and Hulu plus is that the "Plus" has more episodes of any given show found on Hulu. I signed up with credit card and canceled the next day. The shows we wanted weren't on Hulu the next day after airing.
I was looking for some shows from Nat Geo, History channel etc the day after they aired. I think I found them elsewhere... I Tunes? or Amazon maybe it was...anyway at $1.99 or more an episode I said forget it.

Hulu free version is available thru Play On as well...haven't looked at which is cheaper Playon or Plex. Since my computer is tied thru my Tv I can easily watch Hulu that way too.

I signed up with credit card and canceled the next day. The shows we wanted weren't on Hulu the next day after airing.
was it hard to cancel and did they still bill you after the fact?

It was..trying to think of the best word to describe cancelling,cumbersome at best to get to the actual cancel page.Comparing it to cancelling say netflix,there was no comparison.Once I got it cancelled I received an email to verify and wasn't charged at the end of the trial.Maybe they have changed the web pages and links since I had it,making it easier to navigate to the cancel page.I sure hope so.

interesting...you can also use paypal too. That might be the work around.....I have money sitting in the paypal account already

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)