Apartment Setup

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TopRamen

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2004
Is it possible to set up a FTA system in an apartment? I'm not even sure i can reach a satellite from my balcony.

I haven't bought any receivers but i have a couple of analog c/ku band receivers laying around. I also have an old dishnet dish on a pole and a tripod. (yes i know i'll have to get a FTA lnb).

The balcony faces south although there's another building facing it. It's not any taller than my building, and i'm on the top floor.

So anywho,

Is it possible, and what kind of money can i expect to pay for an entry level system.

Also, I'm under the impression that I will not be able to pick up C-Band Signals with a small dish. Is that correct?

Sorry for all the dumb questions.

Is it possible to set up a FTA system in an apartment?

As long as your allowed to.

I also have an old dishnet dish on a pole and a tripod. (yes i know i'll have to get a FTA lnb).

You'll need a larger dish too, I would recommended at least a 36", 39" would be better and 1.2 Meters is the best (Probably too large for you).

The balcony faces south although there's another building facing it. It's not any taller than my building, and i'm on the top floor.

You should be able to see the satellites.

Also, I'm under the impression that I will not be able to pick up C-Band Signals with a small dish. Is that correct?

That is correct, you need at least a 1.2 Meter dish (very few channels) or larger, 6 ft being the smallest for reasonable reception.

Sorry for all the dumb questions.

There's no such thing, well there is one ,there's a sticky that has already answered it (Don't worry it has nothing to do with any of your questions) :)

Last edited:
Yes no such thing as a dumb question.

Put your zip code into a program like this one.
You get a list of satellites and where they are in the sky from your vantage point.
The one highest, is the one directly south of you.
The farther south you are (South Texas, South Florida, South California), the higher it will be in the sky.
The more north you are (Canada , for instance) the lower it'll be in the sky.
Point being, you can likely see it over the next building.

As you aim eastward or westward to see more satellites, they get lower in the sky for you.

Depending on where you are in North America, there is a slight error between a compass and true north/south.
When you look at the highest bird in the sky, it'll be at the same longitude as you are.
The chart will show it at 180º true, but you want the magnetic direction off the chart.
Use that number with a compass and look out across the space between buildings.

If you have an angle finder, or a protractor, you can also try to sight up in the sky at various angles as listed on the chart above, and see how many satellites you might be able to get.
Take a picture of your blacony from across the way, and take one from your balcony looking true south.
I'm sure a picture is worth a thousand words.
Post 'em here and I'm sure you'll get a good thousand from us. :cool:

Oh, and as to what the satellites you see might have on them, take a look at any of these lists:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/1098232-post3.html

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)