This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Appeals Court Finds Echostar in Contempt in TIVO Case

rad

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Dripping Springs, TX
See attched PDF. Wonder how Charlie and company will respond to this?

Just saw Tivo stock up $5.27 to $15.48.

Attachments

• Tivo vs Echostat.pdf
    105.6 KB · Views: 970
Last edited:
Good post RAD.

Thanks!

Still reading it over trying to digest it all. But it looks like Charlie lost this one... HARD.

Here is a statement from TIVO.

Stupid lawyers deciding science questions. One of the reasons I hate lawyers. Also, more proof the patent system is broke, no longer encouraging innovation, but halting it.

Get ready for $15/month DVR fees.

By the way, don't forget to read the dissent starting on page 28. I find it brilliant.

Here is Dish Networks Statement.

I am not sure I understand this one...

At this time, our DVR customers are not impacted.

So let me get this right... they are in contempt and yet are still not following the judges order. Something does not seem correct about this...

We also will be proposing a new design-around to the district court for approval

I wonder how they can remove PID filtering. These idiot judges seem to think that's the same as Tivo's start codes, even though that has been a feature of consumer satellite receivers since, well, the invention of consumer satellite TV.

WOW THIS IS BAD NEWS! BYE BYE DVR SERVICE! WOW, I dont think this ruling could have gotten any worse or one sided against Echostar! So I wonder if this would get a customer out of there contract? Being that there service is dramatically changed and how this can open Echostar up to class action lawsuits if dvr service does end.

The VIP series DVR's 622, 722 and 922 are hardware based
DVR's not software based so they are not affected to be turned off.

If they filed an appeal, wouldn't that cause any actions to be on hold until the appeal is either thrown out or ruled upon?

Maybe but if that happens get ready for me to dump Dish!

2 to 1 with a lucid dissent by Rader. Now we wait to see how the full appeals court reacts.

Whatever, I'd guess Echostar is stepping up production on the newer series of (unlitigated) dvr boxes.