Appeals Court Finds Echostar in Contempt in TIVO Case

Comcast said yesterday that their tivo service is going to cost $19.95 per month.
That likely just means Comcast itself is getting $17/month for their "part" since TiVo is likely only get about $2/month.

From a news article from today:
"TiVo now has tremendous leverage to negotiate a settlement with Dish, which will likely be even higher than previous proposed licensing fees of up to $2.25 per month per subscriber"

Charlie should have just settled this a long time ago. Now he some big legal bills to pay, and in the end with end up with a more expensive licensing agreement deal with TiVo.

Charlie should have just settled this a long time ago. Now he some big legal bills to pay, and in the end with end up with a more expensive licensing agreement deal with TiVo.

But the company will attempt to score brownie points by spinning this as "fighting for the little guy" and "fighting to keep our prices low".

But the company will attempt to score brownie points by spinning this as "fighting for the little guy" and "fighting to keep our prices low".
Surely you jest. :rolleyes: The recent price hike DISH just enacted makes it pretty clear they're just like all the other big businesses -- really only looking out for their bottom line.

Surely you jest. :rolleyes: The recent price hike DISH just enacted makes it pretty clear they're just like all the other big businesses -- really only looking out for their bottom line.

I didn't say I (or anyone) would believe the spin. I just said that's how they would spin it.

Oh come on, what price increase? I mean the programming prices are still the same... ;):rolleyes::angel:

Isn't there an upcoming "Charlie Chat"?

Plenty to talk about this month, TIVO judgement, new HD available to some but not others.

It should have everything, comedy, drama, action. This has the makings of some great television. :D

DISH stock is up $1.10 in after hours trading back up to $21.69 on over 100k in volume. With this after hours trading, DISH is down $0.02/share on the day. I believe SATS is also down $0.02/share on the day including after hours trading.

Can't forget that the Patent Office had recently issued preliminary decison to void these TIVO patents. It's not final yet and under review, but clearly puts TIVO in a position that would encourage negotiation.

Also, don't forget Tivo just won a patent for SEASON PASS, they filed in 1998

Watch for them going after a whole new round of violators.

seems like a no brainer to me. its about time they punished this thief.
Agreed. I'm not a fan of the Tivo patents, but Charlie had every opportunity to negotiate a "good faith" licening agreement at each and every point where the courts ruled against them. Perhaps Charlie was listening to his spin-meister jacmyoung in this case. By the way, where is the 100% wrong jacmyoung anyway? I'm not into personal vendettas, but a simple "I was wrong" would be appropriate.

Charlie had better negotiate a licensing agreee (soon) before the ViP series DVRs are enjoined in the contempt motion.

where is whathis face the defender of e*?(jacmyoung)
Knowing jacmyoung, he will be trying to "spin" this into a E* victory...and come out swinging with more nonsense:

- Decision will be overturned since Judge Folsom is an alien imposter
- The USPTO will overturn all Tivo patents tomorrow morning and the courts will vacate the decision and order Tivo to return more than $300M to E*
- Tivo will suddenly realize they can never beat E* and drop their lawsuit
- Tivo will "give" their company to E* because they are tired of being owned by Charlie.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)