Apple: Death to widgets

meStevo

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 20, 2004
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
Steve Jobs beheads iPad apps for acting like desktops

A dev eating his words from a month ago saying Apple isn't evil, and is having his established app removed because per Jobs himself 'We are not allowing apps that create their own desktops. Sorry.'

My wife won't let me get an ipad because they wanted her to pay for an update to my ipod touch, I don't want one because of statements like the above, arbitrarily limiting what can be put on the device.

Last edited:
Steve Jobs beheads iPad apps for acting like desktops

A dev eating his words from a month ago saying Apple isn't evil, and is having his established app removed because per Jobs himself 'We are not allowing apps that create their own desktops. Sorry.'

My wife won't let me get an ipad because they wanted her to pay for an update to my ipod touch, I don't want one because of statements like the above, arbitrarily limiting what can be put on the device.

That's simple enough - don't get one.

Widgets are what provides creativity and diversity in Android. Sure you could just have icons, but why? What's wrong with having a news feed; a copy of your calendar at your instant disposal; weather maps; music portals; etc... But yeah, that's evil. :rolleyes:

But then again, the quote in my signature says it all when it comes to Steve Jobs and his world view.

Given how terse Jobs' reply was, that's probably exactly what he'd say if he were to reply to this thread. Apple just doesn't care about justifying their actions, they just make decisions whether they benefit the consumer or not and tell people 'tough, that's how it is'.

Also - spoken like an app developer who hasn't been rejected yet ;)

Given how terse Jobs' reply was, that's probably exactly what he'd say if he were to reply to this thread. Apple just doesn't care about justifying their actions, they just make decisions whether they benefit the consumer or not and tell people 'tough, that's how it is'.

Also - spoken like an app developer who hasn't been rejected yet ;)

Exactly why I develop for multiple platforms.

Apple just doesn't care about justifying their actions, they just make decisions whether they benefit the consumer or not and tell people 'tough, that's how it is'.
Actually, that's what most of big companies do: (try to) find a niche and milk it.

But Apple wouldn't be Apple if they were like everybody.
They always (claim to) have a philosophy their actions follow.
And yesterday's interview that could better be described as high level damage control was the best proof of it.

Until Jobs screwed up and the whole philosophy thing went down the drain...
Steve: I can tell you as one of the largest sellers of content on the internet to date -- price it aggressively and go for volume.
That has worked for us. I'm trying to get the press to do the same thing. They need to do it differently than they do it for print.
Walt: But didn't your system drive prices of books upward? Isn't that opposite of what you just said?
Steve: Yeah... hmmm... well it's complicated.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/01/steve-jobs-live-from-d8/

Diogen.

exactly- meStevo: You have spent an unusual amount of time here justifying your decision not to buy the ipad. You have accumulated lots of good reasons it is not for you. Others have done the same. However, don't you realize people like me and 1,999,999 others bought the ipad because of what it CAN do and what we CAN do with it? I don't hear a ton of people trying to return their ipads because they hate them. Most of the stories, I hear are more like Scott who said he didn't need one but once he had it, found it worked for him. I researched it heavily to see if it would aid my lifestyle and sure enough it does. I grab it often now when I just need to check something out. Easier than my laptop! I have resolved the Flash issue and now view Flash anywhere on my ipad. It just requires about 6 extra easy steps when I run across a Flash video I need to see. Latest example is the BP oil spill live video. I have it running all the time on my ipad. No big deal. Second is multitask but that is no big deal as it is coming later in the year. Simply put, the more I use it the more I like to use it. It makes my life easier around the house and especially out on the patio.

Yes we've heard your story before, it works for you, and any detractors are wrong or have never seen the magic in person.

Your thoughts on the arbitrary app removal then, you know, what the post is actually about?

Your thoughts on the arbitrary app removal then, you know, what the post is actually about?

No doubt Apple maintains a tight control over the apps. They do not want apps that can host other apps (i.e. widgets). It is the same position they took on flash. They do not want flash because it allows unapproved applications to run without Apple approval.

It is something one has to accept if one buys this product. I do not own one, and I will consider other alternatives when/if they are released. I could end up buying an iPad one day, I do not rule it out.

By being so strict Apple can prevent a lot that annoys people about their PCs. If you are one that hits yes to every pop up on a PC without knowing what it means, just want it off your screen, then yes Apple is probably ideal for you. If you are having to buy a new computer every year because it is unusable after you have it all loaded up with the latest and greatest spyware, then yes Apple is for you. This is a large segment of the population (but probably not readers here).

By being so strict Apple can prevent a lot that annoys people about their PCs. If you are one that hits yes to every pop up on a PC without knowing what it means, just want it off your screen, then yes Apple is probably ideal for you. If you are having to buy a new computer every year because it is unusable after you have it all loaded up with the latest and greatest spyware, then yes Apple is for you. This is a large segment of the population (but probably not readers here).

Very good analysis! I am one who loves to tinker and modify and custom build. None of my computers and video production gear is stock. However, the ipad and I apple stuff appliance stuff is not like that it fits that condition where all you want is to just do something and not be bothered with the "can't do this" aspect. I do both here and the ipad is great for what I want it to do. Like you said I don't need to worry over it. The only thing I would add to your excellent analysis is one can be both, one can have a need for both, and if open minded, everyone here could use a no worry just do what it does ipad like device. Everyone here uses appliances like this in life. Do you like using your tooth brush without worry? Or do you not buy a toothbrush because it also doesn't double as a razor?

Chrome OS to arrive this fall

Running Two or More Hard Dives

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)