Apple iPad 3G Thread

sampatterson

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Marietta, GA
Got my iPad 3G today. Syncing in progress - it is slow just like the wifi to sync my 50gb+ of music, apps, etc. The other thing I noticed is it has said "Waiting for activation - This may take some time" and has said it for around an hour now. Guess their servers or ATT servers are being hammered by all the new activations.

I've been hinting to my girlfriend that this is what I want for my birthday next week. We'll see if she got the hints next Friday. :)

Hope she got your hints!!!

Activation occured around the 2hr point. Still syncing, nearly 4 hours now. To be fair to Apple, I do have the "Convert Higher bit rate songs to 128k AAC" selected, so it is having to convert 3K+ songs...

I was just about to write you couldn't do this via a usb connection through the computer? Then I ealized there is no usb connection on the ipad.

Not surprised it is taking so long to do that over a 3G connection.

Scott is correct. 2 hours to provision 3g data service activation. Syncing took just over 5 hours. Up and running nicely now. A-GPS works nicely. Navigon took me home and used 1% of battery compared to 15% on the iPhone 3GS. Posting right now via my iPad in my easy chair.

Well, she got the hints. I had no idea, but today she came home with an IPad 3G. She was there for the 5:00 release with what she called the "apple freaks". She couldn't wait to surprise me so she went ahead and gave me my birthday present early (my birthday is the 7th). Starting the transfer now! Super excited. This one's a keeper ;)

Why on earth would it take 2 hours?

Damn Roc, with all your education you don't know that? :D

I'll give you a hint: AT&T

Sam does the 3G model also have wifi?

Can the 3G model use wifi for faster syncing and then just 3G for activation?

Mine took about an hour to sync but much of that time was me trying to figure out how to install iTunes account on my Dell laptop. Most others are reporting about an hour when having lots of songs.

I think the initial setup of the iPad is the most disappointing thing. You buy it and just want to play but you have to wait, and wait, and wait until the syncing is done. Only then does the fun begin.

Yes the 3g has wifi also. I'm loving it so far. This thing is a blast. We now have 2. One 64 wifi and one 64 3G.

Would be curious to see you compare the wifi vs the 3G on battery life.

Lately, I've been getting just 6 hours on my battery because I've been using it almost 100% at full sun brightness outside by the pool.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)