Apple IPAD Owner's Thread

The multitasking I am looking for is being able to log in to Slacker, or Sirius/XM and listen to those services, and when my email dings to exit out and read my mail while Slacker or XM continues playing in the background.

Or if I want to read a ibook continue to be able to listen to XM...

We are about 45 minutes until the announcement of Apples 4.0 software. I got my fingers crossed. :D

I have had my ipad outside in direct sunlight buy have not experienced the temperature problem ( yet) My ipad is inclosed in the Apple ipad case so maybe that keeps the sun IR off it.

However, I don't plan to use my ipad in direct sunlight anyway because it has way too much glare and the screen is just not bright enough. I think this is one place the kindle screen has some advantages as it is a different technology and more easily viewed in bright sunlight. However, the kindle screen is also subject to permanent destruction if it gets overheated. All LCD's are troublesome in that way even when shut off.

Scott- I've read my e-mail while listening to my music loaded from memory. I don't recall opening up an e-mail while listening to streaming content.

Scott- I didn't see it but a Machead just advised me about 30 minutes ago that Apple has announced multitasking in the next release for your iphone and ipad. I'm going to go check out the announcement now.

re: printing. I just downloaded an app for this thing that does printing of document files including graphics files on display. It's slightly more robust than the printing app I have for my TP2. It found my network MFC color laser printer with no problems.

I do agree that the Apple business model with that iTunes store is a real cash cow.

Here's the bottom line to this iPad as I see it. Don't try to replace a laptop or your smart phone. Instead think of it as an information appliance.

The battery is doing great but I did confirm that it will not charge from my Dell laptop USB port. After about 5 hours of on time it is reading 66%.

Flash. Some of you are quite concerned over this as the iPad killer. Please send me a couple links you must have that you feel won't run on the iPad. So far, I have loaded weather channel and weather.com and the map overlays for radar looked like they didn't work but all the videos did work. Wall Street Journal video works as does several other newspapers.

Typed this from the iPad. In fact I will make it a point to do all my posts from the iPad to this thread in the future.

Mafia Wars on Facebook will not fully function without Flash.

I just picked my iPad up. I was going to wait but for the HP Slate to come out and compare but the more I thought the more I liked the idea of the iPad. Sling is big with me and waiting on the new Sling app. Will use the current Sling app for now.

Every laptop I have had in the past and pc as well has eventually slowed down to a crawl. I don't see any tablet NOT slowing down and keeping up with the speed of the iPad. I have had my iPhone for a year and the speed is the same as when I first bought it. Had to get back to work and have not synced it yet. Can't wait. Is it quiting time yet!!

Like Scott said. 4.0 out this Fall for the iPad. Thats ok with me. As long as it's coming!!

Apple is working on this Flash problem. As I understand it the flash plug is too robust for ipxx products but the approach I heard they are doing is to build into the new os some of the code so that a smaller more efficient plugin will not use up so many resources. I don't know how accurate this rumor is but it is what I got today from an Apple employee.

I know the Flash plugin is in the category of bloatware for the windows mobile os. I used to have memory issues when I used it on my xv6800.

However, the kindle screen is also subject to permanent destruction if it gets overheated. All LCD's are troublesome in that way even when shut off.

Have you ever used a Kindle? It's not an LCD, and the device is almost always cold.

I know the Flash plugin is in the category of bloatware for the windows mobile os. I used to have memory issues when I used it on my xv6800.

Flash will come out on the iProducts when Apple can control the content you view with it. Battery life, 'bloatware' are all just excuses. The implication that it's some kind of downward spiral for memory in other OSes is kind of silly.

Have you ever used a Kindle? It's not an LCD, and the device is almost always cold.

Sorry meant EPD but the point is the screens are glass covered substrates and as such will work like a solar panel. Most devices, therefore should be kept out of direct sunlight to prevent very high temperatures under the glass.

I looked up the test safe temps for EPD and it is 35 degrees C. sealed solar panels can exceed 200 degrees C.

According to the K2 Users Guide:

Operating temperature — 32°F to 95°F (0°C to 35°C).
Storage temperature — 14°F to 113°F (-10°C to 45°C).

The lab testing of EPD was done to 60 degrees C and it still functioned but failed at 100 degrees.

On my first trip with my iPad. Haven't used my laptop at all and I am still really amazed by the battery life. I think I can standardize on the iPad for most of my business trips. Something I didn't think I would be able to do.

Sorry meant EPD but the point is the screens are glass covered substrates and as such will work like a solar panel. Most devices, therefore should be kept out of direct sunlight to prevent very high temperatures under the glass.

I looked up the test safe temps for EPD and it is 35 degrees C. sealed solar panels can exceed 200 degrees C.

The lab testing of EPD was done to 60 degrees C and it still functioned but failed at 100 degrees.

I believe the bigger difference is the ipad is also generating heat from it's internal operation, while the Kindle is not. I know my Android gets pretty warm when I use it a ton (browsing news and stuff at lunch) while our Kindles are always cold to the touch since there's nothing happening to them when you are reading a page.

I've never heard of Kindle overheating, but in less than a week and temps just now hitting 80 there are ipad overheating reports... I don't think this is just a 'the screen is getting too hot' problem, but another internals issue like wifi issues that Apple has admitted to.

How did you determine this? I've used mine for hours and have not noticed any warmth except from my hand holding one side. i.e. body temperature. What were you doing that caused your ipad to heat up? I know Vegas is getting hot these days but can't be that hot. :) As I said living in Florida, I know better than to leave electronics, especially display devices like my cell phone and laptop in the sun.

Sam- How was the ipad treated by airport security? I was hoping to not have to place it in a separate bin as is required by laptops.

Mestevo.

I'm an iPad owner here in this thread to share with others MY experiences negative and positive. Sorry, but I have no comment on the experience this guy had with his iPad after 20 minutes in NYC sunlight. Until I experience it I have nothing more to discuss. I don't understand why you feel this is such a big issue. When the problem becomes ubiquitous I'll show more concern.
In the meantime, three days of use in Florida outdoors I've had no problems and the iPad itself runs much cooler than my laptop.

There are NO heat issues with a Kindle - ever. I would imagine the ipad to be like an android device in generating heat - although with a bigger footprint, it might not feel as warm.

I have to return mine tomorrow. I have diagonal lines on my screen. Does not affect the performance though. This thing is fast. Very fast. Will not add any apps until I get the replacement. Looking forward to adding I pad apps. Hd graphics look very good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts