Apple IPAD Owner's Thread

Slight correction to my prior confusing post on the charge- I thought it didn't have the battery fully charged but it was. I've only had it on the wall charger for about 5 minutes when I discovered it indicated full 100%. What I meant was the ipad required software setup with itunes and I had to install that first, then sync everything with my laptop. Now I have all the music, videos and pictures on the ipad. That took about an hour.

Some of the apps that are for ipod or iphone need to be rewritten for the ipad and larger screen. NY Times is like that, While you can expand to full screen the pinch zoom features don't wort but double tap does.

Having some issues with wifi out by my pool and patio. While the Dell Laptop works out there with weak signal, the ipad loses connection. Looks like I'm going to need to configure an additional wifi hotspot for the patio. :(
So, what is the advantage of this over a laptop? The laptop can do hundreds of more things.

I'm on the iPad right now. Comparing to the TP2 the iPad is literally 100 times faster than a cell phone for working satellite guys. I don't need to shift into PDA mode. it is more comfortable than the laptop and from off to typing a message its much faster due to no boot up time as compared to the Dell. For certain uses as I intend for it it will work great.

Another negative report
The keyboard has no arrow navigation. Apple forgot?

iPad

Well to add to the iPad hype..... I am making this post from mine, it just came in! It's very cool and satguys looks flawless on it. Will for sure be using this when tuning the dishes to look at all the info I need.

I like the whole idea of the ipad but right now they is just way to much hype I think I would wait til the hype goes down come. I think it could be a laptop killer.

Replying from iPad. Ok, I may be getting more addicted! I am amazed. This will definitely replace my iPhone or notebook for browsing the web from my recliner!

Replying from iPad. Ok, I may be getting more addicted! I am amazed. This will definitely replace my iPhone or notebook for browsing the web from my recliner!

For sure that's what I'm thinking too. I used to use my iPod touch in bed and stuff but it's just too small to be practical for surfing but this is perfect.

So, what is the advantage of this over a laptop? The laptop can do hundreds of more things.

The form factor is easier to handle. Unless you really need to do a lot of typing, why do you need the keyboard, it just makes the laptop hard to balance or you need a table. Have you ever tried to walk around and use a laptop at the same time?

I could see easier traveling with this. The laptop is always a pain at the airport. They have big clunky chargers, this could share your iphone's.

I use my laptop for couch surfing and bed surfing. I have desktops for the office. I could see the iPad being easier to use for me than the laptop.

Besides not having Flash it also doesn't have the ability to print.

Contrary to an earlier post...the first generation iPad does have a 3G capability. They will be available later this month. My guess is they needed to work out the procedure for the service with AT&T. The initial iPad launch and the related activation problems probably led them to splitting the launch of the two models.

I do think the Sony PSP is in trouble though as the iPad will probably become a great game and portable video player.

As an e-book reader it's just too heavy. Sure it looks great and has wonderful animation, but I wouldn't want to hold it for long periods. The Kindle just is a better form factor for this one type of use.

Finally, there is one real danger to the iPad/iPhone/iPod business model and that's the closed aspect of the app store. When you only allow one reseller to sell products and they are openly censoring competitive products you really risk stunting software development.

Can you imagine if Windows 95 had been limited to an App Store...think we would have ever seen Netscape?

Still to those that purchase the iPad...I hope you enjoy your new toy.

re: printing. I just downloaded an app for this thing that does printing of document files including graphics files on display. It's slightly more robust than the printing app I have for my TP2. It found my network MFC color laser printer with no problems.

I do agree that the Apple business model with that iTunes store is a real cash cow.

Here's the bottom line to this iPad as I see it. Don't try to replace a laptop or your smart phone. Instead think of it as an information appliance.

The battery is doing great but I did confirm that it will not charge from my Dell laptop USB port. After about 5 hours of on time it is reading 66%.

Flash. Some of you are quite concerned over this as the iPad killer. Please send me a couple links you must have that you feel won't run on the iPad. So far, I have loaded weather channel and weather.com and the map overlays for radar looked like they didn't work but all the videos did work. Wall Street Journal video works as does several other newspapers.

Typed this from the iPad. In fact I will make it a point to do all my posts from the iPad to this thread in the future.

re: printing. I just downloaded an app for this thing that does printing of document files including graphics files on display. It's slightly more robust than the printing app I have for my TP2. It found my network MFC color laser printer with no problems.

I do agree that the Apple business model with that iTunes store is a real cash cow.

Don can you use the app to print a webpage...things like directions, recipes, etc? How about a PDF file or email? I'm not looking to print out War and Peace, but sometimes you need to have a hard copy.

The cash cow part of the App Store doesn't bother me as the lack of innovation. The scary part is Microsoft is going to do the same thing with their new phone OS. If it's allowed to continue we'll start seeing it as the standard...and that just won't be good for the ISV or consumer.

The form factor is easier to handle. Unless you really need to do a lot of typing, why do you need the keyboard, it just makes the laptop hard to balance or you need a table. Have you ever tried to walk around and use a laptop at the same time?

I could see easier traveling with this. The laptop is always a pain at the airport. They have big clunky chargers, this could share your iphone's.

I use my laptop for couch surfing and bed surfing. I have desktops for the office. I could see the iPad being easier to use for me than the laptop.
:up

Ok wireless 802.11n rocks on this! In the 5ghz band I am getting over 19mb down and 7 Mbps up on comcast. More like a computer than an iPhone. I get less than 10Mbps on the 802.11g of the iPhone 3GS. Netflix on demand streaming in HD is beautiful.

Have used it for around 6 hours now and still at 71% battery.

Oh crap, I feel like I am becoming a fan boy even though I am a Windows C++ and C# programmer!

I am simply happy sitting here doing all my normal morning "news checking", forum checking, rss feed looking. All without my bulky slow to boot notebook. Definitely a category of computing device that has been lacking. And the iPad isn't getting hot after hours of use. I don't know about "magical" but it is pretty amazing.

The worst part has been trying to pry it away from my 7 year old so I can use it. Guess I'll gt the 3G one and he can have this one

Can you imagine if Windows 95 had been limited to an App Store...think we would have ever seen Netscape?

It also keeps off the malware. Not saying it is malware proof, but it is a lot harder to get a virus if the machine automatically rejects unsigned applications.

I do not think iPad is going to replace anything of mine, it would be a supplement. But, for computer illiterate it could be a great thing. You do not have to worry about grandma getting a virus, it is something that you do not have to worry about a lot of configuring, cabling, etc. Essentially all the hard decisions have been made for you, it is a toaster. If it does what you need, great, if it does not you cannot fix it.

Ok wireless 802.11n rocks on this! In the 5ghz band I am getting over 19mb down and 7 Mbps up on comcast. More like a computer than an iPhone. I get less than 10Mbps on the 802.11g of the iPhone 3GS. Netflix on demand streaming in HD is beautiful.

Have used it for around 6 hours now and still at 71% battery.

Oh crap, I feel like I am becoming a fan boy even though I am a Windows C++ and C# programmer!

Glad to hear that the 802.11n works on the 5Ghz band. That has been an irritant to me as my netbook and Touchsmart both have 802.11n but only on 2.4Ghz which means I don't use them on my 'n' segment, only on the 'g' segment.

And that battery life is excellent. There are already others saying they are getting 10+ hours even doing video.

It is looking more and more like Apple won't be able to produce them fast enough! Of course, I am an Apple fanboi already... :)

Don can you use the app to print a webpage...things like directions, recipes, etc? How about a PDF file or email? I'm not looking to print out War and Peace, but sometimes you need to have a hard copy.

The cash cow part of the App Store doesn't bother me as the lack of innovation. The scary part is Microsoft is going to do the same thing with their new phone OS. If it's allowed to continue we'll start seeing it as the standard...and that just won't be good for the ISV or consumer.

Yes i did a web page. But it is a bit convoluted. At least it was with the app I downloaded for the task. There are about a couple dozen I say for cheap and a half dozen I saw that will cost more than .99. The problem is not the lack of apps to do what you want it is, so far for me, to determine which onse will work the way you want. I downloaded 4 different ones before I found one that culd print excel ss, word doc, files, PDF, graphics, and a web page. Yet, still I'm looking for something that is less convoluted. With most of what I tried, I needed to access the file to pronto from a pc and then upload it to my iPad. So, heck what's the point? What's needed is a file manager that has a print function. I haven't found one yet.
Ajctually, printing out a web page is easier than a PDF file unless you have a URL to the PDF which seems to be the key in the apps I tried. E.g. If I wanted to print this page here, I would copy the URL address bar at the top of the browser, then launch the print utility and select download in the menu, then paste the URL there and then select print. Up will pop your network printers. Select which one, I have three on my LAN, and it will print out just like you see on the screen.

Mike:

You are correct that the form factor makes many laptop uses easier in the examples you stated. It is even easier if you buy the iPad case as the lid folds back in three different ways to make the iPad sit upright. Right now, I an on the couch and have the case folded to horizontal mode with the iPad at a 20 degree angle. If I had my laptop, first of all my legs would begetting hot and the time to post from off on the table to typing would be about 4 minutes. With iPad, I open the lid hit the on off button. Then tap the safari pic on and navigate to this thread all in under 10 seconds.
I highly recommend getting the iPad thin case!

I like the whole idea of the ipad but right now they is just way to much hype I think I would wait til the hype goes down come. I think it could be a laptop killer.

Trust me, this iPad is no laptop killer. It is only for those who use a laptop for content consumption only. So far, content creation, beyond typing posts here and email the laptop is much better suited. Adding the iPad to your mix is just a way of doing some things easier with a better tool but it doesn't replace all tools. When out and about, I'll still want to take my htc tp2. When needing to edit video, I want my work station of desktops. When at the desk and need to do email or a quick letter to a client or even at a hotel room and need to do some business maintenance or minor video editing, this iPad will not do. Need the laptop.

I think what Don has said about boot up time between the iPad and laptop is very important. I will use my iPhone to surf a lot more than my laptop or even my pc. The older the laptop gets, the slower it gets. Just like me.:)