Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
Apple Reports Flat Earnings -- Update
4:54p ET January 27, 2014 (Dow Jones)
Apple Reports Flat Earnings -- Update
By Daisuke Wakabayashi and John Kell
Apple Inc. reported virtually flat earnings for the holiday quarter as intensified competition for mobile devices offset growing iPhone and iPad sales.
Shares of the Cupertino, Calif., technology giant fell about 5% in after-hours trading as Apple forecast disappointing revenue for the current quarter.
Apple is coming off its first decline in annual profit in more than a decade amid growing competition in the smartphone and tablet markets. Apple also is facing questions about whether it can repeat its innovative success with a new product category--as it did with the iPhone in 2007 and iPad in 2010.
For the quarter ended Dec. 28, Apple reported a profit of $13.07 billion, slightly below $13.08 billion in the year-ago period. However, Apple's per-share earnings rose to $14.50 from $13.81 because the company's stock repurchase program decreased the pool of total shares.
Revenue grew 5.7% to $57.59 billion from $54.51 billion in the same period a year earlier.
Analysts, on average, estimated that Apple would post earnings of $14.07 per share on revenue of $57.46 billion, according to Thomson Reuters. Apple in October had projected revenue between $55 billion and $58 billion.
For the current quarter to March, Apple is forecasting revenue to range between $42 billion and $44 billion. Analysts had expected $46.05 billion.
Apple said its gross margin, a closely watched indicator measuring the percentage of revenue that remains after manufacturing costs, was 37.9% in the December quarter--higher than the company's estimate range of 36.5% to 37.5%, and compared with 38.6% in the year-ago period.
For the March quarter, Apple forecast a gross margin of 37% to 38%.
For its flagship products, Apple said it sold 51 million iPhones, an all-time quarterly record, versus 47.79 million units in the year ago period. iPad sales rose 14% to 26 million units. Sales of Mac computers climbed 17% to 4.8 million.
The increase in iPhone and iPad sales comes as the company rolled out two new versions of its iPhone, the first time it launched more than one new model of its smartphone at the same time. It also refreshed its iPad lineup within a thinner, lighter model and a smaller version with a sharper display.
Apple isn't the only smartphone maker feeling the pinch from tighter competition. Last week, Samsung Electronics Co., Apple's main rival in the smartphone market, said profitability at its mobile arm fell in the December quarter from an increase in marketing expenses to promote new models. LG Electronics Inc. said it mobile business swung to a loss in the December quarter, hit by price competition and growing marketing expenses.

The short traders took immediate action and dropped the stock some $30 a share before leveling out in after hours trading. Good opportunity to buy in on this pull back if anyone is interested.

The short traders took immediate action and dropped the stock some $30 a share before leveling out in after hours trading. Good opportunity to buy in on this pull back if anyone is interested.
I'm not surprised you said that. I expect you followed your advice and increased your holding to slightly fewer shares than Carl Icahn? ;)

Of course, the "Financial Experts" were out in force pre-call. Here is a "gem" from CNBC (http://www.cnbc.com/id/101346301) that said "what if" you didn't buy that Apple product, but bought the stock instead? Of course, if everyone took that advice, Apple stock would have tanked because Apple is in business to sell consumer electronics, not stock.

I truly expected the stock to tank during the earnings call. The analysts had their minds made up well before this earnings call. They had a number of excuses to claim disappointment. The biggest was the 50% drop in ipod sales and the outlook for that to continue. No matter how good the numbers, when they want to trash the stock, they have the power. Doesn't matter that iphone had it's largest qtr ever and that there was hardly a blip in the earnings due to the huge sales after the first of the year in China.

I was hoping the stock would go below $500 and then I would have bought even more. Not long ago I took profits in my Wynn stock to raise the cash for yesterday's Apple sale.

Yes, I put in a small limit order to continue to increase my holdings but it was extremely small. Reason is I am a firm believer in diversity and for over a year, my Apple position is actually too high, representing 27% of my portfolio when it was at $550. So, at a lower price I felt justified in buying a little more, especially at these bargain prices. I still have sell points starting at $600, $650, and $700.

Icahn did buy another $500M yesterday and now claims to own 4% of the company. Should be an interesting stock holder's meeting next month.

Some of those "what if" scenarios are indeed stupid. These financial news people sometimes feel obligated to say something even if it makes them look like idiots. You'll never hear the real smart commentators on CNBC ever make statements like that.

BTW- if any of you have iphones, ipads or imacs you can listen in to these meetings live. Product announcements are live video by going to the Apple.com website. You don't have to be a stockholder but I understand the live cast is only available on iOS products. I tried to bring it up on my PC and it wouldn't play.

51 million iphones in the fourth quarter?
Considering the 5C washed up like a dead fish ...
I presume sales of the new Chinese network-specific model didn't happen 'till January ...
And around here, 5S sales kinda sucked through Xmas ...
... it is hard to know where all the phones went.

New York, February 10, 2014 – Today Carl Icahn released the attached open letter to shareholders of Apple Inc.

CARL C. ICAHN

767 Fifth Avenue, 47th Floor

New York, New York 10153

February 10, 2014

Dear Fellow Apple Shareholders,

While we are disappointed that last night ISS recommended against our proposal, we do not altogether disagree with their assessment and recommendation in light of recent actions taken by the company to aggressively repurchase shares in the market.

In their recommendation, ISS points out, and we agree, that “on the spectrum of options for allocating capital, the board appears to have been sluggish only in returning excess cash to shareholders,” and even though the company has in place “one of the largest buybacks in history” we agree with ISS that this effort seems “like bailing with a leaky bucket” when “given the scale of the company’s cash reserves.”

That being said, we also agree with ISS’s observation, taking into account that the company recently repurchased in “two weeks alone” $14 billion worth in shares, that “for fiscal 2014, it appears on track to repurchase at least $32 billion in shares.” Our proposal, as ISS points out, “thus effectively only asks the board to spend another $18 billion on repurchases in the current year.”

As Tim Cook describes them, these recent actions taken by the company to repurchase shares have been both “opportunistic” and “aggressive” and we are supportive. In light of these actions, and ISS’s recommendation, we see no reason to persist with our non-binding proposal, especially when the company is already so close to fulfilling our requested repurchase target.

Furthermore, in light of Tim Cook’s confirmed plan to launch new products in new categories this year (in addition to an exciting product roadmap with respect to new products in existing categories), we are extremely excited about Apple’s future. Additionally, we are pleased that Tim and the board have exhibited the “opportunistic” and “aggressive” approach to share repurchases that we hoped to instill with our proposal. It is our expectation that Tim and the board continue to exhibit this behavior as fiduciaries to the shareholders since they clearly seem to agree that our company continues to be extremely undervalued, and we all share a common optimism with respect to the company’s bright long term future.

Sincerely yours,

Carl C. Icahn

When Tim Cook addressed the Q&A in the quarterly conference call he said regarding the proxy call for Apple to up the ante for additional $50B in stock buybacks this year- that Apple's plan is in place and would continue to buy back shares on a regular schedule. When I heard this I was not very happy since that kind of dollar cost averaging is amateurish money management and not in the best interest of the company nor stock holder. But since that proclamation, Tom Cook's actions were opportunistic and aggressive, doing exactly what Icahn suggested in the proxy. It appears Cook is listening and learning but saying something else. Regardless, additional buybacks when the stock has a pull back due to knee jerk market reactions by bear shorts, was a pleasant surprise to us all and affirms that Apple is willing to establish a floor to the stock price at around the $500 price point until it's new products to be announced can take the stock higher by normal valuation metrics.

I personally bought another 9 shares of the stock which was the limit my cash could afford at $494 per share. I was planning to use that for something else but when such a bargain presents itself, I like to seize the opportunity as well. Icahn bought another $500M during this down turn. Today, Apple is at $531.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts