Apple Sept 1st Press Event

I am on the fence about the Apple TV...

I dosent do anything that my current other players do not do... It also is only 720p.

It also does not have DLNA or any support for media formats besides the normal Apple supported formats. I need ISO and MKV support.

I am on the fence about the Apple TV...

I dosent do anything that my current other players do not do... It also is only 720p.

It also does not have DLNA or any support for media formats besides the normal Apple supported formats. I need ISO and MKV support.

For me, it'll mostly be used for home movies, pics, and music. I know my PS3 and 360s do that now, but the interfaces IMO are horrible. And I've had issues getting the correct output format using Handbrake for movies. Will be very easy for me with an ATV in the house. Netflix and Youtube is a plus for me. One thing I'd like to know. Does the current ATV block music videos on youtube?

Last edited:
Take a look at Engadget or Gizmodo no mention of support of these formats, if they did it would be getting mentioned as its a big selling point.

Here are the specs...

• H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
  • MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
  • Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format

Well, those specs are really disappointing...

For a moment I thought it will be less tightly integrated into the iP-system.
It doesn't look like it runs the iOS, for starters...

The next question would be: can it be hacked?
To play all those formats, talk to PCs and handle external USB storage and NAS...:)

Will wait for the iFixIt report.

Diogen.

Just got through the ipod lineup on the streaming video at apple.com. They really have outdone themselves with the new ipod nano. I've never been into the ipod but this little trinket is impressive.

I believe the statistics on the visitors to the stores. Yesterday afternoon I went to our local town center which is our most popular shopping district in the city and it seemed like a good day to avoid the crowds. Hardly anyone on the streets and the parking wasn't bad. BUT, went to the Apple store and it was packed. Must have been 250 people in that little store. Other stores in the center were near deserted. The new store in Shanghai, China is very impressive. That whole city looks like something from a scifi story on another planet.

Scott Greczkowski said:
That would be COOL if it ran iOS. I would get one without thinking twice if that were the case.

Scott the Roku seems to be a better player. I would not be surprised to see roku upgrading their graphics.

Also will they have an add in box to blow away apple tv and vudu?

I have a Roku, a VUDU box, a WD Live, a WD Live Plus, a 3D Bluray player with all kinds of internet steaming, PlayOn, a DISH 922 plus 2 internet enabled TV's which each have their on apps. :)

I have more stuff then I have HDMI inputs :D

Last edited:
I have a Roku, a VUDU box, a WD Live, a WD Live Plus, a 3D Bluray player with all kinds of internet steaming, PlayOn, a DISH 922 plus 2 internet enabled TV's which each have their on apps. :)

I have more stuff then I have HDMI inputs :D

I only have the Roku, Vodu and vip 922. I may drop the Hulu + since they double dip with ads and $9.99 monthly fees.:rant:

Downloaded iTunes 10 on one of my laptops. Man, 9 is 100 times better.

First, the desktop logo is ugly
Second, the removed the color from it
Third, you cannot remove that lame Ping thing from the left column

I am sure I will find more lame stuff as I play with it more

Too bad it can't stream Amazon On Demand, Fox and ABC shows are now available for purchase for 99 cents each.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht..._rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1273958402&pf_rd_i=16261631

Apple TV sounds like a good idea, and at a good price, but it sounds too closed still out of the box. Seems like a money grab from the faithful before GoogleTV boxes start hitting this fall and to cash in on people thinking about trying roku/other stuff.

I look forward to people making it into an actual option and playing whatever we want if possible.

Last edited:
All the $4.99 Rental gets you is 28 days earlier than netflix would have it anyways. It is day of DVD release, not an early PPV or anything.

I'd like to think that one day we'll finally get to the point where every device offers everything, and it's the first party exclusives that differentiate, rather than excluding expected offerings to promote those first party initiatives.

It's pretty safe to say we can't expect Apple to be the ones to help move us closer to that.

meStevo said:
I'd like to think that one day we'll finally get to the point where every device offers everything, and it's the first party exclusives that differentiate, rather than excluding expected offerings to promote those first party initiatives.

It's pretty safe to say we can't expect Apple to be the ones to help move us closer to that.

No it will never happen. We've been making automobiles for well over a hundred years now and still can't get everything in one vehicle. It is my most frustrating conundrum when I go out to buy a new car.

Did anyone see the CNBC special on apple last night?
One of their execs said that many believe Apple is an excellent marketing company. He said nothing could be further from the truth. Apple is all about the market accepting what Steve Jobs thinks is best.

My best hope is I can buy what works best for me. Then, I have the opportunity to modify it to make it as convenient as possible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)