Apple starts taking security seriously, hires former Vista hacker

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
No surprise here in that Apple knows most people have seen through their propaganda machine.

While fanboys may believe that Apple’s operating systems are invulnerable to attacks, it looks like Apple isn’t being quite as naïve anymore. Earlier this year, Eugene Kaspersky claimed that Apple is, “ten years behind Microsoft in terms of security,” a comment that drew a lot of attention from both sides of the fence. While many agree that viruses in general are no longer a major problem, other types of malware, such as Flashback on the Mac, are still very dangerous.

Read who they hired here.

http://www.neowin.net/news/apple-starts-taking-security-seriously-hires-former-vista-hacker

I don't think many believe that OSX is invulnerable, but the actual reality is that there are no virii in the wild for OSX and never has been.

Does that mean that tomorrow someone might bring one out (most likely one of the 'security' firms, imo), that will wreak havoc? No, just hasn't happened yet.

I recently removed my AV software from my iMac because the TSR caused more problems than it purported to cure. And in the year I had it on the machine, not once did it report anything at all.

No surprise here in that Apple knows most people have seen through their propaganda machine.

As opposed to your propaganda machine?

While fanboys may believe that Apple’s operating systems are invulnerable to attacks, it looks like Apple isn’t being quite as naïve anymore.

It's foolish to think they (Apple) aren't keenly aware of security and its importance to their platform.

Earlier this year, Eugene Kaspersky claimed that Apple is, “ten years behind Microsoft in terms of security,” a comment that drew a lot of attention from both sides of the fence. While many agree that viruses in general are no longer a major problem, other types of malware, such as Flashback on the Mac, are still very dangerous.

Anyone can make a claim, has he demonstrated any facts to backup the claim? Since Mr. Kaspersky is CEO of the eponymous company which sells security products he has a vested interest in the statement, i.e. selling security products to MAC OS users.

I'll ask the question again, what evidence is there that security wasn't taking seriously before this?

Last edited:
I don't believe ANY operating system is immune to attacks of virus, malware, or security threats.

I have Sophos installed on both of our Macs and it has yet to detect anything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)