Apple takes the crown from Microsoft today.

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
Today Apple becomes the most valuable company of all time in Market Cap setting a new wold record at $623B. Microsoft held the record since 1999 at $613B.

Other finance trivia- Since Steve Job's death, Cook has led the company up 76% in net worth.

I have a 2006 17in iMac that I think the videocard is going out. I'd rather replace the logic board now or wait until getting my tax refund next year to replace it with another Mac(or maybe both). I definitely have no plans to go back to a Microsoft PC or laptop.

Today some Microsoft fans are contesting the crowning of Apple claiming the measurement has to be adjusted for 2012 inflation. OK that means Apple needs to reach $860 a share to take the crown on that basis. Bring it on! :) :) I own Apple stock.(disclosure)

Meanwhile, as I thought would happen, Apple is selling off with a drop of $10 a share with some taking profits today. If Apple attains the same P/E ratio as Google has now, it will be trading at $870 a share. Current price is at $652

Last edited:
Scott- if history is an indicator and only part of the time it is, Apple will go higher on a run up to the 12th and then drop off. Last year with the 4S announcement that didn't happen. If interested your best bet is to study the trend and probability of it happening this time by looking at the way it moved during these announcements. Personally, I find trading Apple around a core position is a better strategy, meaning that about 80% of my holdings is locked in for long term growth. For income tax bracket reasons I need to get bigger gains than what happens in an Apple announcements to offset the tax penalties as I'm not trading in my Roth IRA on Apple. For that reason I'm pretty much done trading Apple for the year.
A good way to tell is how much negative news comes out about Apple's future. These guys have hidden agendas to cause Apple to drop as they need to cover their short positions or get slaughtered. I don't short stocks but recognize the strategy the short traders use. It's insidious. I wish it were made illegal.

The simple answer to your question for long term is a few analysts are predicting $900 a share in 12 months assuming the current earnings remains constant, higher if it grows and, of course, lower if the earnings falls off. Then, some are saying Apple has hit a wall, but they have been saying that for 4 years! Stock math isn't neat like engineering.

A bad jury outcome from the Samsung trial could also deflate Apple stock quite a bit. I am surprised Apple has not reached a settlement with Samsung like they have with MS.

Scott- if history is an indicator and only part of the time it is, Apple will go higher on a run up to the 12th and then drop off. Last year with the 4S announcement that didn't happen. If interested your best bet is to study the trend and probability of it happening this time by looking at the way it moved during these announcements. Personally, I find trading Apple around a core position is a better strategy, meaning that about 80% of my holdings is locked in for long term growth. For income tax bracket reasons I need to get bigger gains than what happens in an Apple announcements to offset the tax penalties as I'm not trading in my Roth IRA on Apple. For that reason I'm pretty much done trading Apple for the year.
A good way to tell is how much negative news comes out about Apple's future. These guys have hidden agendas to cause Apple to drop as they need to cover their short positions or get slaughtered. I don't short stocks but recognize the strategy the short traders use. It's insidious. I wish it were made illegal.

The simple answer to your question for long term is a few analysts are predicting $900 a share in 12 months assuming the current earnings remains constant, higher if it grows and, of course, lower if the earnings falls off. Then, some are saying Apple has hit a wall, but they have been saying that for 4 years! Stock math isn't neat like engineering.

The reason that the stock didn't have a run up as some considered the 4s to be a letdown from a technical perspective. Many expected that Apple would delivery 4G LTE and clearly that didn't happen.

Stock math is the same as regular math and is neat. What isn't is stock pricing predictions.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

A bad jury outcome from the Samsung trial could also deflate Apple stock quite a bit. I am surprised Apple has not reached a settlement with Samsung like they have with MS.

This is a very complicated decision -- and the jury is being asked to make a decision when "experts" in the industry have a variable opinion depending on who is signing the check for their testimony ;)

The reason that the stock didn't have a run up as some considered the 4s to be a letdown from a technical perspective. Many expected that Apple would delivery 4G LTE and clearly that didn't happen.

Stock math is the same as regular math and is neat. What isn't is stock pricing predictions.

Just for the hell of it, I'll predict that by this time next year, Apple will have a market cap of $1 Trillion, which would equal about $1,067 per share. At this point, I actually think it's a possibility. And no, I don't own any Apple stock and even if I wanted to now, I couldn't afford it.

I dont care if Apple stock goes up or down on any day -- just glad to see that the stuff I bought two years ago has tripled in value. If ONLY I had bought more. :D Isn't that always the case. But since every share I have purchased is showing growth, no complaints.

I suspect the iPhone Next and Mini-Pad will really send it soaring.

People who rely on charts only ( Technical Analysis) to determine trading times will usually fail 50% of the time because the math is not neat. The outcome is too dependent on unpredictable influence. Engineering is neat because it is based on predictable laws of physics. Errors usually happen in engineering because the measurements were not accurate enough. TA works better for long term investments such as 200 day moving averages and Fibonacci number trends. But even here it is a guessing game as one bone head mistake or natural disaster can swing the charts to new movement in a direction the math would not have predicted. It's better for showing one company better than the other.

There was a lot going on with the iphone 4s release date such as the market down turn in general and SJ death with many investors being uncertain about Cook's ability to carry forward. The growth spurt began about the week between Christmas and new year and ended in April 2. According to chartists, as long as we don't cross the floor of resistance in the 200 day moving average ( right now is $530 ) the stock will continue to go up and up with periodic pull backs.

I think this year we may see a repeat of last year. Influence will be negative.
1. Timing is about the same- iphone 5 announcement but AT&T says they don't want to pay the big premium and many are still locked into the 4S contract for another year. Will need to attract iphone 3GS I think it's called, owners.
2. Earnings reports come out in October and is expected to be lower than last one.
3. War between Israel and Iran in October is being predicted.
4. Election in November and if we get a tax stabilization in Congress by the end of the year, people will feel better about buying and 4th qtr earnings will look positive. Therefore the stock could continue on a general rising trend for at least the first quarter.

I don't think the rumored mini ipad will be much of a stock game changer one way or the other. In 2013, Apple will need a new innovation or investors will grow concerned. That would be the Apple TV set with it's own infra structure or Apple channel of programming.

Last edited:
Today Apple becomes the most valuable company of all time in Market Cap setting a new wold record at $623B. Microsoft held the record since 1999 at $613B.

Other finance trivia- Since Steve Job's death, Cook has led the company up 76% in net worth.

Sure. If you ignore inflation. If you adjust for inflation, Microsoft is still top at roughly $850 billion. I hate junk reporting.

The real point is that Apple is rapidly gaining ground while Microsoft is rapidly losing it.

I don't currently have any MSFT but did about 2 years ago. I still follow it daily. I would not say it is "rapidly losing it" at all. The company has taken it's main hit after the dot com crash and today is a nice steady dividend paying stock at 2.6% and it has a growth of 15% in the past year. Almost forgot, Microsoft also raised it's dividend within the past year by 25% as well. Companies don't raise dividends if they are "losing it." It's kind of the Utility investment in the tech world. Place it with IBM and Intel as a backbone of tech category. It's not Google or Apple for volatility and excitement but in no way is it HP or Dell either. You would not do badly investing for your Roth IRA in Microsoft if you want a buy and hold where you reinvest your dividends automatically. Show me an equally conservative investment that will give you 17.6% return on your money.

Still, no investment is guaranteed so it is always wise to watch your investments, even in a buy and hold portfolio.

I was referring to the declining sales of Windows devices vs. the growing sales of Apple computing devices.

You're comparing apples to oranges. (pardon the pun) You don't compare sales of Windows for PCs to "Apple computing devices" you compare sales of Windows for PC to sales of OSX for Macs. Apple still doesn't come close. If you compare sales of Microsoft Windows for PCs to sales of all Apple devices then yes, it looks better for Apple. You have to do a fair comparison.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)