Apple tracking you?

The Insider

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 9, 2008
The Swamp
iPhones Secretly Track Your Every Move, Researchers Say (VIDEO)

According to security researchers Pete Warden and Alasdair Allan, your iPhone or iPad is keeping a record of every step you take, storing this data and sharing it with the devices that sync with the iPhone or iPad. What's troubling is that this information is unencrypted and can be accessed and viewed by anyone.

According to The Guardian, Warden and Allan discovered that devices running iOS 4 keep a record of time-stamped coordinates in a file called "consolidated.db."

When the iPhone or iPad is connected to a laptop, this sensitive file is copied from the portable device to the laptop. Anyone who opens the file can scroll through and see a history of where you've been.

The pair have set up a site explaining their discovery. From their description:

I think every 3G device does it. Regardless of manufacturer.
It was known iPhone did this before. They just made it easier with iOS4.

When India/UAE/etc. sue RIM for access to their BB messaging system, I don't think this is because only these countries are concerned about security and spying.
I believe the US (and some others) either had this capability since day one or have other means to track you. It's just an issue of not being caught...

How many hours will pass before Apple comes back with "It's for your own good!" explanation...:)

Nice summary...

Diogen.

Everything tracks you these days. Even your car. Every tracker sells the info to other users, then they let you know in a 5 page of fine print disclosure that only a lawyer can understand. If you're worried about being tracked, get naked and go hide in a cave some place. Oh, I forgot, I have an implant in my chest that can be tracked so getting naked won't do me any good. My hope is that no one really cares where I've been the past few hours.

Even my workout, hiking, running, biking, and skiing APPs track me and post my position, map, and stats on FB. Just finished an 8 mile mountain bike ride and my complete stats including the map of my ride was posted on FB

Anybody still believes in this "search cannot occur without a warrant" sh!t?

Not anyone who knows anything about the law. Only that the evidence obtained without a warrant can't be used in court against you unless they can show probable cause to enter without a warrant.

Note- I'm not a lawyer, I just watch crime shows on TV. :D

... but this must be an iPhone specific phenomenon
The file, known to hold large amounts of geolocation data collected from WiFi access points and cell-towers, has been probed by forensic experts ever since the retail launch of the iPhone 4 back in June of 2010. Hell, Sean Morrissey and Alex Levinson published a physical book on the topic back in December 2010...
http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/21/the-iphone-tracking-fiasco-and-what-you-can-do-about-it/

Similar to the antenna "issue": St. Jobs says you hold it wrong and the case is closed...:)

Diogen.

Where is Bob and why didn't he start this thread! For once it is true!

All this data will come in handy for hunting down the dissidents, when the wrong people get in power.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts