Apple Tv & Onkyo Receiver & Netflix

PWParker

Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
Hi All,

I just bought an Apple TV to replace a LG DVD/streaming unit.

The Apple works just fine, but last night an interesting problem occurred:

Streaming Netflix went ok until the sound bass was intense. The Onkyo receiver would shut off! It happened over & over. I had to power on the Onkyo & the Apple Tv was still streaming.

Can anyone think of why this happened? The Onkyo does not shut off midstream with mono movies, just stereo/dolby digital.

Can the HDMI cable be at fault? Is there "bandwidth" on a hdmi cable?

Help! I love the surround sound.....don't want to have to go back to mono.

Thanks!!!

It actually sounds like you have an impedance mismatch between the speakers and the receiver. If you are say, running the speakers through an improperly wired selector switch or if a speaker has a defective crossover, the amplifier can overload during loud scenes and the receiver shuts down to protect itself.

Are you maybe using 'recycled' speakers from some stereo mini system or HTIB or something? You mentioned this LG DVD system.. Was it a stereo with built in DVD? Are you using its speakers with the new Onkyo? Those are generally lower impedance than is required for a home receiver and will cause problems just like what you are experiencing.

Last edited:
JerseyMatt may be right. I would check the back of your speakers to see if it says how many Ohms they are. My Onkyo is designed to drive 8 Ohm speakers. I recently checked an old Sony HTiB set and those speakers are 6 Ohms. From what I have read online my Onkyo should be able to drive 6 Ohm speakers just fine but I won't use them with my setup. I will say that I use Netflix on my 3rd generation Apple TV connected to my Onkyo TX-NR609 though HDMI almost daily and I have never had this happen to me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts