apple tv

I guess they're just working on making it smaller, faster and better quality. It's a very handy little device, but it's also pricey. Though of course it's pricey it's Apple!

Is there any other similar products on the market, that isn't so pricey?

I do not think $99 is pricey for the box, it does a great job. However what is pricey is when you buy the content. I do look at their sales and buy some shows then.

I do not think $99 is pricey for the box, it does a great job. However what is pricey is when you buy the content. I do look at their sales and buy some shows then.

Movie rental is $5.99 for 1080p HD; easier than going out to the rental store, and cheaper than buying the blu-ray, which I will rarely watch again; plus I love how I can use airplay with my iOS and OSX devices, AND use iTunes Match to stream my entire library to my stereo. Yes, movies can be expensive to purchase, but Mike is right, there are often sales.

I only wish it would support Amazon Prime and HBO Go.

Movie rental is $5.99 for 1080p HD; easier than going out to the rental store, and cheaper than buying the blu-ray, which I will rarely watch again; plus I love how I can use airplay with my iOS and OSX devices, AND use iTunes Match to stream my entire library to my stereo. Yes, movies can be expensive to purchase, but Mike is right, there are often sales.

I only wish it would support Amazon Prime and HBO Go.

HBO GO is supposed to be out this summer (and I think MAX GO too). Right now you have to use airplay with an iPhone or an iPad to get HBO/MAX GO on the AppleTV.

jailbroken, it makes a great platform for XBMC, I have not yet paid for any content I've viewed on the box. Only the 2nd-gen boxes are jailbreakable though, and being discontinued they now command a premium price if you can find one.

For $99 I think it's a bargain, given what it does.

Are you talking about a Roku? Found one for $50 and it actually looks quiet interesting. It basically has the same features as Apple TV, without Apple's products support of course but also a lot cheaper. That's definitely something I'm going to look into.

Are you talking about a Roku? Found one for $50 and it actually looks quiet interesting. It basically has the same features as Apple TV, without Apple's products support of course but also a lot cheaper. That's definitely something I'm going to look into.

No, I am talking about an Apple TV. Roku is fine, I have one, it does Amazon and HBO and Netflix. It does not provide airplay or iTunes match or access to iCloud. And the software - until the latest version which I have yet to test - but is supposedly improved dramatically - is far inferior to the Apple TV. The interface is kludgy, it is slow. I will stick with my statement, for $99, the apple tv is well worth it. It is not over-priced at all, given what you get.

There are 3 things I would change about AppleTV:

1. HBO GO/MAX GO. Supposedly coming soon, looks like the CW beat them too AppleTV http://www.techspot.com/news/52622-cw-to-launch-apple-tvs-first-network-television-app.html

2. Allow Amazon to put their iPad app on AppleTV, or at least allow airplay to work

3. make the remote much bigger. Maybe my hands are just too big, but it is really hard to use the click wheel, pause and menu are ok, but the round navigation is just too tiny. I would also like a way to go to settings and back without having to go up a bunch of times and then to setting then go back (to turn on closed captioning).

1. CW may or may not beat HBO/Max to the ATV as the timeframe is pretty fluid right now. It is good that both all of them are coming relatively soon.

2. Yeah, I wish they would allow Amazon on the ATV too.

3. Yep, that remote is pretty useless to me 'cause it is so small. So I just use my Logitech Harmony 1 and it works just fine. Of course I could use the iOS Remote app too if I wanted.

Since the CW is half owned by CBS, it makes you wonder if this is the toe in the water for CBS to see how it goes. It would really hurt the value of HULU if the big 4 put their shows on AppleTV.

From some reports about Hulu, it appears that future licensing is already an issue. It seems most of the content providers aren't all that thrilled with the results of their Hulu experience.

From some reports about Hulu, it appears that future licensing is already an issue. It seems most of the content providers aren't all that thrilled with the results of their Hulu experience.

The problem that Hulu faces is why should a network license a show to Hulu? They can just as easily now stream a show from their own web site and keep all the ad revenue for themselves.

They did it because it was a possible revenue generator for them with the subscription service of HuluPlus. But from what I've read, that hasn't worked out all that well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)