Apple Vision Pro Gets a Release Date

If only Microsoft hadn't decided otherwise.

Don't think them pushing it or not really matters. As the applications and appliances become more practical and accessible it'll get bolted onto everything the way AI is today.

We're probably a decade or so out from pretty much everything in this being feasible:

View: https://vimeo.com/166807261

The bulk of it could be done today, just not as convenient or automatically.

As the applications and appliances become more practical and accessible it'll get bolted onto everything the way AI is today.
The Apple Vision Pro is neither practical nor accessible.

It is hard to build a premium experience if there are no intermediate stages.

When it is like Ready Player One, then I will buy one.

Reactions: meStevo
What other platforms are supported such that Joe Sixpack could get onboard?

Meta's products, the Quest 3 and their glasses, are about the most accessible there is right now. Still too heavy, bulky or underpowered but are pretty great as is for what they're doing and huge leaps forward for the medium. Helping lay the foundations for subsequent products both with software and hardware. Apple's entry will pay significant dividends towards those efforts as well.

When it is like Ready Player One, then I will buy one.

Can certainly see the baby steps in that direction in current products and concepts.

Reactions: DirecTVFanSince2016
While it may add some legitimacy, I doubt that Apple's approach to apps will be in any way appreciated.

It doesn't matter, it pours significant resources into the space. PSVR2 is a walled garden, but still helped justify multiplatform efforts/development work outside of those walls. Apple will have the same effect and help the medium move towards what I've been describing - even at this price point. Where they have advantages today in resolution and horsepower future appliances will emulate or surpass and reap the benefits of work and applications that leverage those capabilities.

I have no interest in Apple's product (or most of their ecosystem) but am very excited for this device because of how it furthers the medium.

PSVR2 is a walled garden, but still helped justify multiplatform efforts/development work outside of those walls.
The AVP is no less a walled garden and it costs more than six times the PSVR2 asking price. That doesn't make for a very big contribution.

Re-read the rest of that post.
That doesn't make any more of a case for the contributions of a platform that few can afford and for which the app future is arguably much less promising.

That's similar to the M3 argument. What software are you going to be able to run on this advanced platform that is going to take full (or even substantial) advantage of it?

In contrast, the Playstation is more or less a stationary target that leads its industry with support from all the big software houses.

Meta's products, the Quest 3 and their glasses, are about the most accessible there is right now. Still too heavy, bulky or underpowered but are pretty great as is for what they're doing and huge leaps forward for the medium. Helping lay the foundations for subsequent products both with software and hardware. Apple's entry will pay significant dividends towards those efforts as well.
Do you own and use any of the Oculus / Meta systems now?

I became fascinated with the smart phone holders for 3D viewing of my videos years ago.
I still have these, collecting dust- VR BREETT virtual reality headset goggles smartphone VR headset | eBay

When the Oculus Rift came out I had just upgraded my computer and it was powerful enough to support it and I was hooked on VR from then on. I debated getting the Panamax for higher quality but not liking the cost. Then I bought the Quest 1, 2 and now have the 3. I really enjoy VR games, both for physical workouts and mind game puzzles. Power, image quality, and battery life with 3rd party head bands that have batteries is no longer an issue. I have over 100 games and apps installed. The MQ3 was quite the bargain as it came with Asgard's Wrath 2, a $60 freebie plus 6 months of subscription games, 2 per month. I haven't found much benefit to the subscription deal. I up to Level 12 now on AW2 and it is getting super challenging the deeper I get into the story. I usually stick to one game at a time until I complete it. Hubris took me 4 months to get through it.

The PSVR is mostly an accessory to the Playstation 5. I don't have one but my grandson's got one with some accessories for their birthday. It was fun taking them on a shopping spree for the day to buy it. The three of us put our money together which was a lesson is working within a budget. Since they got my old Quest 1 and 2 they weren't interested in the PSVR.

The problem with AVP is it is a gen 1 device and lacks the support for apps that the others have. It's probably superior in image quality and better for using them in a group session which doesn't apply to me. It's not able to handle most games as it doesn't support controller access.

I can see one advantage for those who need multiple high resolution screens like monitoring many platforms for stock trading. I use three monitors here.

I look forward to fighting the crowds ( not!) to go to the Apple store to try one. I wonder if I will need an appointment???

Do you own and use any of the Oculus / Meta systems now?

I became fascinated with the smart phone holders for 3D viewing of my videos years ago.
I still have these, collecting dust- VR BREETT virtual reality headset goggles smartphone VR headset | eBay

When the Oculus Rift came out I had just upgraded my computer and it was powerful enough to support it and I was hooked on VR from then on. I debated getting the Panamax for higher quality but not liking the cost. Then I bought the Quest 1, 2 and now have the 3. I really enjoy VR games, both for physical workouts and mind game puzzles. Power, image quality, and battery life with 3rd party head bands that have batteries is no longer an issue. I have over 100 games and apps installed. The MQ3 was quite the bargain as it came with Asgard's Wrath 2, a $60 freebie plus 6 months of subscription games, 2 per month. I haven't found much benefit to the subscription deal. I up to Level 12 now on AW2 and it is getting super challenging the deeper I get into the story. I usually stick to one game at a time until I complete it. Hubris took me 4 months to get through it.

The PSVR is mostly an accessory to the Playstation 5. I don't have one but my grandson's got one with some accessories for their birthday. It was fun taking them on a shopping spree for the day to buy it. The three of us put our money together which was a lesson is working within a budget. Since they got my old Quest 1 and 2 they weren't interested in the PSVR.

The problem with AVP is it is a gen 1 device and lacks the support for apps that the others have. It's probably superior in image quality and better for using them in a group session which doesn't apply to me. It's not able to handle most games as it doesn't support controller access.

I can see one advantage for those who need multiple high resolution screens like monitoring many platforms for stock trading. I use three monitors here.

I look forward to fighting the crowds ( not!) to go to the Apple store to try one. I wonder if I will need an appointment???

Yeah, have 5 HMDs in the house, Quest 1, 2, 2, 3 and a Vive.

The 2s and my 3 are in use. Mostly for Supernova and the nephew got his 2 for Christmas from his dad and plays Roblox and some other things on it. I need to get in a better routine/tempo of using it and working on getting things set back up so wife can play Beat Saber w/ custom songs from her PC.

Yeah, have 5 HMDs in the house, Quest 1, 2, 2, 3 and a Vive.

The 2s and my 3 are in use. Mostly for Supernova and the nephew got his 2 for Christmas from his dad and plays Roblox and some other things on it. I need to get in a better routine/tempo of using it and working on getting things set back up so wife can play Beat Saber w/ custom songs from her PC.
Yeah you're in VR for sure.

I had a problem with losing tracking with the Q3 and some of the combat games. I bought the Pro controllers and they seem to be better but not perfect.

Anyway here is the battery system I got to play for more than an hour on the 3. Highly recommend them

Nice, yeah, something like that or the elite strap are required. I don't play with it as much as I should (or the inventory suggests) but working on getting back into a better routine, especially since the Q3 is so much easier to get up and going w/ how it seems to handle setting up room scale quicker, etc.

Reactions: TheForce
Apple stock is down on poor reviews of the AVP, mainly the cost and it doesn't have app support. Glad I sold a bunch of Apple stock above $196 and now wait to buy it back when it bottoms.

The early reviews for the Apple Vision Pro mixed-reality headsets are in, and they seem unlikely to either drive buyers to Apple stores or spur investors to buy the stock.
That's no surprise. As Barron's has reported , the Vision Pro is a high-price experimental product in a niche category. It will be many quarters -- and likely years -- before the Vision Pro contributes meaningfully to the company's financial results.
Apple stock fell 1.7% to $188.47 in recent Tuesday trading. The company's market value has fallen to $2.92 trillion, now more than $100 billion below Microsoft's valuation at $3.05 trillion. Apple shares are down about 2% for the year to date.
In launching the device, Apple said the Vision Pro "is a revolutionary spatial computer that transforms how people work, collaborate, connect, relive memories, and enjoy entertainment."
The tech company has been taking preorders for the Vision Pro for several weeks now, ahead of the official launch this Friday. The headset is priced at $3,499 for the base level version, with higher prices for versions with extra memory. You can't wear glasses with the Vision Pro -- people who need corrective lenses will have to pay extra. With taxes, the device can easily set you back more than $4,000.
You might want to buy one eventually, but most reviewers see no urgency for anyone other than developers and Apple completists.
"Let's get this out of the way: You're probably not going to buy the $3,500 Apple Vision Pro," The Wall Street Journal wrote in its review. "Unless you're an app developer or an Apple die-hard, you're more likely to spend that kind of money on an actual trip to a Hawaiian volcano...Apple's headset has all the characteristics of a first-generation product: It's big and heavy, it's battery life sucks, there are few great apps and it can be buggy."
CNET's review has a similar tone. "The headset is the best wearable display I've ever put on," the review wrote. "But at its price, and with so few VisionOS apps at launch, the Vision Pro isn't a device I'd recommend to any of my friends or family."
ZDnet's reviewer described the VisionPro as "an incredible $4,000 developer kit most people should not buy."
However, Wedbush analyst Dan Ives -- long one of Wall Street's biggest Apple bulls -- predicts Apple will sell 600,000 Vision Pros in 2024, up from a previous forecast of 460,000.
"This is the first step to Apple pushing into AI [artificial intelligence] and eventually a separate AI App Store we expect Apple to discuss initially at WWDC this summer," he wrote in a research note Tuesday. "For Apple the ultimate goal in our opinion is that Vision Pro will work alongside the iPhone and other Apple devices over the coming years with many consumer AI use cases set to explode across health, fitness, sports content, and autonomous."
Write to Eric J. Savitz at eric.savitz@barrons.com

Sorry, I think the AVP can contribute to Apple’s bottom line tomorrow.

By discontinuing it.