AppleTV 4K = $90!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
It depends on the app. With Fubo the skip ahead is 20 seconds. With YT I hold down the fast forward button on my IR remote control and it scans ahead in a FF mode. But with Fubo TV if I want to scan ahead fast. I use the ATV BT remote and click on the touch pad once to pause and then swipe to the right and the pause spot scans ahead fast. When it stops I hit play. I couldn't figure out how to get that scan fast Forward or reverse ( swipe to the left) working on my IR remote control.

I picked up a 2019 NVIDIA Shield 8GB on Friday. Overall, it is about as fast as the AppleTV. Other than AppleTV+, it has all the apps we use. The only annoying thing I've noticed is it will drop a frame or two on resume on Prime Video UHD shows, like The Expanse. I don't know if it is the resolution changing or just some dropped frames. It happens within a second or two of resuming from pause. My wife cannot see it, so it is not that noticeable. I've never seen that on an AppleTV, but I have seen it on Roku and FireTV devices.

I like making Lemonade when life hands me a lemon--

So yesterday my little grand daughter age 2 was running around the house without supervision for 5 minutes. I found her in the Theater Room pulling DVD's off the shelf into a pile on the floor. Had to put them all back in the order I had genre / alphabetical order.

So I sit down to watch some movies later that evening on Netflix and notice I can't find my Apple TV remote. Today I searched all over the house under stuff and behind stuff. Nothing! I know that she has this love for their Apple TV remote at home and my daughter is always complaining she steals it and hides it in her room toy box. If you catch her with it she begins to throw a fit yelling MINE! MINE! It's so cute. Her two brothers were never this bad. They are so polite and respectful of other people's stuff.

So I heard that there is an app on the Apple watch. Well what do you know? I launched it and paired it and this is really great! I like it better than that little remote that came with the Apple TV plus it is always handy right on my wrist. I set it up as a complication for quick access.

If you use Apple Tv and have an Apple watch, this is really much much better than the remote control. The whole watch face is a touch pad just like the remote control.

If they ever try to improve it, they should add siri voice control and then it would be perfect. The iphone has siri but I don't always have my iphone handy.

Reactions: Foxbat
I thought there was a way of pinging the remote from the AppleTV; that would be nice to have in the next generation.

Wow. You Apple buffs are really dedicated. Fire TV, Roku, Kodi, and Plex. Plus my smart TV's. Does it all.
No more Roku's for me and my ATV 3 sits in a drawer. I see there's finally a jailbreak for it.
Having Apple in your pocket for every product they sell is nuts. Forgetting to deactivate a device in iTunes before you do anything major is a real pain. Just a few Louis Rossman 'tube videos make me wonder why people stick with Apple.
I'm not knocking them. But it just seems like it's their way (Apple) or the highway. Aptoide, Downloader, even Roku sideload is just too tasty to want to steer their way. But hey, what do I know. Right? I wont use anything from them.

Well, for myself, I have to support Microsoft Windows in my Day Job. I don't mind the Server-side of things, but the client support is soul-numbing. When I come home, I just want things to work, no drama, no MCSE required. I have Linux in the basement running my CUPS and Folding at Home, so I'm not 100% Apple. But for most part, the Apple Macintosh line of computers were over-engineered. The Mac Pro I had from 2006 ran pretty much 24x7 for over fourteen years, and I re-purpused a 2014 Mac Mini that was near a lightning strike (blew out the Gigabit NIC and HDMI Out) and turned it into a Windows 10 test box with Thunderbolt NIC and Mini-DP.

So, Apple may be more money up front, but I have found that you get what you pay for.

Perhaps the most damning argument against the ATV remote ever.
I always wonder why harshness hangs out in the Apple threads when he so hates the company and products.
When I come home, I just want things to work, no drama
That is precisely why I bought my wife an iMAC. I got tired of maintaining her computer. Took her a week to get used to the differences. I never hear a complaint. Took her a couple minutes to get used to her iphone from the company's blackberry years ago. Two months later her employer dropped Blackberry company phones and made everyone switch to iPhones. Her IT people got a nice vacation from all the BB support every day. I got the first Apple watch and she insisted on getting one too after seeing mine.

The thing is, our whole family uses iphones and Macs. I'm the only one who still uses a PC for most daily work. I just gave my oldest grandson her old iphone SE and Apple watch. He is all excited and being it is cellular he can leave the iphone home. The school requires the students to use PC so he is learning both. I like that.

You don't need to be certified to run Windows, you just need to know how to search YouTube.
Or Google (I know, almost the same thing). I do that at Work. If you were a chef at a restaurant, would you want to cook as soon as you got home? Or, better to ask if you made Left-Handed Blivets for a living, why would you want to do that when you were home? Oh, I get the hobbyist connection, and loving to program, or building your own system from parts, but I've run yet another Thread off the rails…

I've been an Apple user since the Apple ][+. I learned Apple Basic on it in third grade. I learned to program x86 assembly in the mid 80s. I have had other OSes come and go in my home and on my desk at school and work over the years, and the late 90s was especially bad for Apple product quality. Microsoft Windows has come a long way and is better than ever. Even so, I can say I'd rather have a Mac for general purpose computing in almost any circumstances if for no other reason than I know I can drop down to a Unix-ish CLI to do some real work if needed, although I am not a fan of the switch to zsh. At least Windows has WSL now too. With Windows however, there is still an element of fiddling involved that exceeds what is necessary on a regular basis on Macs. Ask IBM: IBM says it is 3X more expensive to manage PCs than Macs

The thing that continues to mystify me about Windows after all these years is how wonky the networking stack remains. I swear, I'd almost rather deal with Trumpet Winsock than Windows 10 TCP/IP configuration. It should be the most straightforward thing in the world at this point, but somehow it isn't.

These days I have a MacBook Pro 15 at home and a MBP 13 at work to go with my Debian-based work desktop. I am a Unix/Linux sysadmin for high performance computing systems at a major university with 27+ years of professionsl experience supporting all sorts of devices and platforms, including multiple years doing solely Windows support. My wife has a MacBook Air at home and a Windows 10 laptop for her work in Finance. It would be hard for her to do her job on a Mac, so it is not the best tool for her job. She swears when using computers in general, but I can tell you the rate and volume of expletives are far greater when using Windows than using her Mac.

Windows, Android, Linux, FreeBSD, etc. are all really good these days. That said, there is something extra you get with most Apple products. Not that Apple products are perfect (Apple Music is terrible for instance). I would not choose to run Linux on Apple hardware for instance. The vertical integration of hardware and software you get with Apple does result in a better overall product IMHO, even when it isn't perfect in execution.

With respect to the AppleTV 4k, it is by far the smoothest, most consistently responsive UI of any streamer I have tried, including the 2019 Shield, 2nd Gen FireTV Cube, etc. I can see why Apple doesn't think they need to hurry to update it even though it is using 4+ year old technology. Apple's ARM-based chips are second to none in the consumer space (check out the A64FX from Fujitsu if you want to see what a really powerful ARM CPU looks like ;) ). If it only had a great BT remote to go with an otherwise excellent product, I would buy 3 more for the other TVs in my house.

EDIT: I assume this is going to get me labeled a Apple Fanboi, but I am really not. I use a lot of different technologies, and frequently opt for ones that don't come from Apple. My preference for Apple products, where it exists, is all on a case-by-case basis. The fact that I choose Apple more often than not is merely a function of the general quality of their offerings. I'd still rather have a Blackberry than an iPhone for instance, but that isn't really an option any more and hasn't been for a long time.

Reactions: Foxbat
With respect to the AppleTV 4k, it is by far the smoothest, most consistently responsive UI of any streamer I have tried, including the 2019 Shield, 2nd Gen FireTV Cube, etc. I can see why Apple doesn't think they need to hurry to update it even though it is using 4+ year old technology. Apple's ARM-based chips are second to none in the consumer space (check out the A64FX from Fujitsu if you want to see what a really powerful ARM CPU looks like ;) ). If it only had a great BT remote to go with an otherwise excellent product, I would buy 3 more for the other TVs in my house.
Update: Looks like we are probably going to replace our Firestick 4K devices on every TV with NVIDIA Shield devices this year. My wife is trialing a Shield in the Kitchen, where she watches the most TV, and the results are positive so far. All it is missing is AppleTV+, and that is coming to Android TV later this year.

With respect to the AppleTV 4k, it is by far the smoothest, most consistently responsive UI of any streamer I have tried,
I agree but it is not perfect-
I consistently get a freeze up of some features and need to reset it which always fixes the problem. This happens about every 2-3 weeks.

I agree but it is not perfect-
I consistently get a freeze up of some features and need to reset it which always fixes the problem. This happens about every 2-3 weeks.
I have not had that problem so far. My older ATV boxes did, and certainly Roku and FireTV devices. Nothing would surprise me though. As good as modern devices are, they still aren't perfect.

The Apple Spring event was last Tuesday and Apple rolled out an improved AppleTV 4K, with a new Siri Remote that looks like the older aluminum ATV remote, but bigger, and now includes a Mute and Power button to help control your TV.

But the neatest feature the new tvOS version will bring is the Calibration function, which uses the sensor suite on your FaceID iPhone to observe your 4K or HD screen while it runs through the calibration tests. When it’s done, your AppleTV will look its best, and if you change settings on your TV, recalibrating the ATV picture is a simple matter of holding your phone up to the screen location indicated by the procedure.

I wonder how well it will do compared to a professional Calibration?

It works well. (Although it appears a little to warm for me)

You don’t need a new Apple TV to use it. It works with the last few generations of Apple TV too.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

It works well. (Although it appears a little to warm for me)

You don’t need a new Apple TV to use it. It works with the last few generations of Apple TV too.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
Im guessing it makes changes in what the apple TV outputs, and doesn't actually make changes with your picture settings on the tv? As from what I understand, the "calibration" is only for content you use the device for, and doesn't carry over.

How does it compensate for the display which has it's own set of adjustments? My projector has a ton of them including gamma curves. The Apple TV box is misconstrued and I think of it more as a tuner not a "TV." My projector is just a display as there is no sound.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)