Foxbat

Addicted to new HW
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Michiana
I have a question for any AppleTV 4K users who have the YouTube App on their ATV — for the last three weeks or so since some YouTube app update, my ATV4K and LG C1 OLED have been “fighting” with HDR handshakes. The symptoms are I’ll select a video to watch, the screen goes black and comes back in a second, showing the Ad, then the screen goes black before the Ad comes back a second later. After that it’s good until I Skip Ads or the next Ad starts, then it does the same thing. Finally, the YouTube video starts, but there is the same HDR handshaking issue going on and I lose the first five seconds of the video I wanted to watch.

I have my AppleTV 4K set to use DolbyVision HDR, but YouTube does the same thing if I use non-DV HDR instead. I’d rather not disable HDR on my AppleTV since all the other Apps play nice with my LG; it’s just YouTube that has this issue, starting with the last App update in August.

I’ve been using the YouTube app on my LG to watch videos, but it’s a different set of remote control muscle memory to do things like 10 second skip or bring up options/controls. Has anyone else see this new and annoying behavior? I would figure that Google advertisers would have an issue since I can’t see the first couple of seconds of their ads.

My current YouTube App version is:
Version 2.10.01.00/web_20220831_10_RC00​
Device TV (PLATFORM_DETAIL_OTT), Apple/AppleTV–2 / AppleA10XFusion/2017, Cobalt (22.Its. 6.308900-gold), AppleTV (15.6)​
Language en​
Geo US​
Client TVHTML5, 7.20220831.10.00​

I submitted a YouTube Feedback report, so I guess we’ll see what Google does with that.

Last edited:
I have YT Premium so I never see YT ads. I didn't know YT offered HDR 4K content.

The only trouble I have with ATV is on the Disney + channel. Some new movies will not play video, only sound when in HDR 4K 60fps or 30 fps. If I select SDR it plays fine. Other movies that are HDR 4K will play fine. I understand that the ATV is upconverting the 30fps to 60fps in some cases. So many formats out now it is hard to keep up and ATV doesn't always switch to a compatible mode when needed.

Since I am using a projector the NITS isn't really bright enough to properly handle all movies and programs in HDR. I really don't see much advantage to HDR with my setup anyway.

Reactions: rockymtnhigh
I have a question for any AppleTV 4K users who have the YouTube App on their ATV — for the last three weeks or so since some YouTube app update, my ATV4K and LG C1 OLED have been “fighting” with HDR handshakes. The symptoms are I’ll select a video to watch, the screen goes black and comes back in a second, showing the Ad, then the screen goes black before the Ad comes back a second later. After that it’s good until I Skip Ads or the next Ad starts, then it does the same thing. Finally, the YouTube video starts, but there is the same HDR handshaking issue going on and I lose the first five seconds of the video I wanted to watch.

I have my AppleTV 4K set to use DolbyVision HDR, but YouTube does the same thing if I use non-DV HDR instead. I’d rather not disable HDR on my AppleTV since all the other Apps play nice with my LG; it’s just YouTube that has this issue, starting with the last App update in August.

I’ve been using the YouTube app on my LG to watch videos, but it’s a different set of remote control muscle memory to do things like 10 second skip or bring up options/controls. Has anyone else see this new and annoying behavior? I would figure that Google advertisers would have an issue since I can’t see the first couple of seconds of their ads.

My current YouTube App version is:
Version 2.10.01.00/web_20220831_10_RC00​
Device TV (PLATFORM_DETAIL_OTT), Apple/AppleTV–2 / AppleA10XFusion/2017, Cobalt (22.Its. 6.308900-gold), AppleTV (15.6)​
Language en​
Geo US​
Client TVHTML5, 7.20220831.10.00​

I submitted a YouTube Feedback report, so I guess we’ll see what Google does with that.
By coincidence I have the same setup as you do. ATV4K & LG C1. I have not had any of those issues. I do have YouTube premium so I only see the embedded ads.

By coincidence I have the same setup as you do. ATV4K & LG C1. I have not had any of those issues. I do have YouTube premium so I only see the embedded ads.
Hmm, I wonder if an upgrade to my HDMI cable might be in order? It’s the same one I had with my Toshiba HD LCD and AppleTV 3. It said it passed the necessary tests in the AV Settings on tvOS.

Hmm, I wonder if an upgrade to my HDMI cable might be in order? It’s the same one I had with my Toshiba HD LCD and AppleTV 3. It said it passed the necessary tests in the AV Settings on tvOS.
I would try that. You don’t need to spend an fortune on hyped up cables though. I have always had good luck with the Amazon Basics cables.

Reactions: TheForce
The first HDMI cables did not support all the features necessary for HDR 10 bit so you may be onto something. I had to upgrade my HDMI cable to my projector too. Only one of the 2 HDMI jacks is HDR capable as well. However, I would expect your ATV would fail if this were the case.

Bottom line I don't think I fully understand what your problem is. Heck, I don't understand why my Disney+ movies with HDR 10 doesn't work while other sources with the same spec do and both hardware systems pass the ATV4K testing.

Foxbat You need two things,

1: Apple certified HDMI cable: Belkin model AV10175BT2M cable

2: Make these settings on your Apple TV, under "Video and Audio" and it'll then be able to change as needed per app and what's needed:

'Enable Dolby Vision' (or Enable HDR if your tv is not Dolby Vision capable)
Format - 4k SDR @60Hz (59.94Hz)
HDMI Output - YCbCr (some may prefer RGB High)
Chroma - 4:4:4
Match Content - Range & Frame Rate
Match Dynamic Range - On
Match Frame Rate - On

Then run a "Check HDMI Connection" test. It'll take a couple minutes, and may blank your screen during the test.

I did these on my TCL Roku tv 50s535 that has Dolbyvision, and HDR, etc, and it works for me. Note: even though it's set for SDR, it'll actually change itself as needed per app and movie/etc content to Dolbyvision, OR SDR OR HDR, etc...

Here's the master thread at Avsforum. Apple TV owners' thread. FAQ in first post

I did a Reset on the Video settings and the problem was gone. I then enabled DoblyVision and it’s still working. The ”Match Frame Rate” is off, but I ran out of time to test as we were headed over to my Brother’s for dinner.

Reactions: primestar31
We just got our first OLED set - a Vizion 65", and I upgraded to the v2 of the Apple TV 4k, and a new Denon AV Receiver that supports 4k, and DV.

This is helpful. I will test out the youtube app when I get home from my trip. I bought a monoprice HDMI 2.1 cable. It seems to be working fine. Is there a list of Apple certified cables?

My AppleTV 4K is connected to the HDMI 1 port of my LG OLED. It appears that trying to turn on either “Match Frame Rate” or “Match Dynamic Range” will cause the video & audio blanking. These are now both “Off” and YouTube is back to normal.

My AppleTV 4K is connected to the HDMI 1 port of my LG OLED. It appears that trying to turn on either “Match Frame Rate” or “Match Dynamic Range” will cause the video & audio blanking. These are now both “Off” and YouTube is back to normal.
Mine did the same thing, UNTIL I switched to the Belkin cable listed above, even though the original cable I was using was supposedly certified to all the same specs.

Reactions: Foxbat
A couple weeks ago, I began to experience trouble with my Apple TV and the You Tube App. It will play a You Tube video, any of them for about half way through and then just quit and dump me back to the Apple TV Home screen. I contacted Apple support and was told to try to delete the app and reinstall it. I did that and it still has the same problem. Apple support said beyond the reinstallation, they can't help because it is a You Tube app problem and Apple doesn't support any of the apps on Apple TV. Said I have to contact You Tube Support as they ( Google) are the ones who support that App.

I’m running tvOS 17.0 currently. I like the smaller App tiles (now six across) even though I needed to rearrange things a bit.

I see that there are some new 4K screensavers. California hills covered in wildflowers for one; Cathedral Canyon in Utah; flying over California Redwoods; following the Colorado river (also Utah). And…

“Captain, there be Whales!” A Humpback whale frolicking off the coast of French Polynesia. :D

More issues with the YouTube App on the Apple TV 4K platform. I updated to tvOS 17.3 and watched ”Masters of the Air” and some Prime Video shows. Then, this morning went to watch a YouTube video and the audio was choppy, cutting out maybe 3-4 times a second. Plus, it happened on the Ads as well.

I tried a number of things like deleting and re-installing the YouTube App, changing the Audio format, etc., but it was only the YouTube App that was experiencing this issue. Filled out and submitted a Bug Report for this, we’ll see if they fix it soon.

More issues with the YouTube App on the Apple TV 4K platform. I updated to tvOS 17.3 and watched ”Masters of the Air” and some Prime Video shows. Then, this morning went to watch a YouTube video and the audio was choppy, cutting out maybe 3-4 times a second. Plus, it happened on the Ads as well.

I tried a number of things like deleting and re-installing the YouTube App, changing the Audio format, etc., but it was only the YouTube App that was experiencing this issue. Filled out and submitted a Bug Report for this, we’ll see if they fix it soon.
We watched YT content for 3 hours last evening, then switched to Netflix for a movie and then back to YT for quite a few shows. Zero issues.

The only complaint I have between the apps is my sound on YT is always loud compared to the other apps. YT I need to set to 45 on my amp and all the other apps I set it to 65. I also have my TIVO set to 65 on the amp. All my BluRay players are perfect volume at 65. So YT app is always much louder.

Sorry, I don't know the current version. I'll have to remember to look later this evening.

I think it was the combination of the new 3rd Gen Apple TV 4K and the YouTube App. The new hardware is using the A15 chip, compared to the A10X in my first Gen Apple TV units. Why that would be a problem I couldn’t tell you. Since it was working before I updated my tvOS to 17.3, I think that’s more likely.

I have an update to this behavior. I have been watching YouTube via the LG’s YouTube App and that was working, until I read this Apple News+ article about the updated YouTube App on the Apple 4K “hijacking” the 4K Aerial Screensaver with the new YouTube screensavers. I went to look at the App Store listing for YouTube and it still showed the version it has since last December. But it still had choppy audio whenever I tried watching anything.

So I went nuclear - I Reset to Factory and Downloaded the latest tvOS to my AppleTV 4K. I will note that I had been upgrading as new versions came out and it never went away. After some time to do the install, I went through the new Apple TV set up procedure and waited for the Apps I had to download. When I launched the YouTube App, eureka! The sound issue was cured!

The only downside is I now have to log back into all my Apps…

Reactions: primestar31