Apps - WTF?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

riggscm

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
So I had apps for like 3 days, and now they are gone. Sure I hit the right arrow button and the receiver light flashes to show that it got the keypress but thats it, no bar, no nothing.

Due to my HR20 running real slow I reset the thing and now nothing. Yes its networked, and I even have downloaded a couple VOD titles.

whats up?

Last edited:
So I had apps for like 3 days, and now they are gone. Sure I hit the right arrow button and the receiver light flashes to show that it got the keypress but thats it, no bar, no nothing.

Due to my HR20 running real slow I reset the thing and now nothing. Yes its networked, and I even have downloaded a couple VOD titles.

whats up?
Having the same problem here!

I tried using apps once a couple of weeks ago, but the response time was so insanely, ridiculously slow, I quickly gave up. Anything TV Apps could give me, I could pull out my laptop and look it up myself in less time.

I tried using apps once a couple of weeks ago, but the response time was so insanely, ridiculously slow, I quickly gave up. Anything TV Apps could give me, I could pull out my laptop and look it up myself in less time.

FWIW I noticed some slow behavior like the first 2-3 times I used it, but after that it was smooth sailing.

I've never been able to get apps to work. All my boxes are networked, I can use DOD and MRV, but can't get the stupid apps to work. I gave up....

I tried hitting the right arrow last night and nothing happens. Do you need the newest update to get it?

You know gang I'm sure about the software version needed to run the things. But I know that they were mentioned in my last "whats on" flyer that we get in our bill.

Last night I did a red button reset, went though the the setup menus to verify that my STB had a IP address, and was indeed connected to my home network. Everything checked out okay, and heck I could even view pics from my PC on the screen.

I thought to my self, "with all this looking good lets go for it" aaaaannnd nothing. Why should I expect reliable behavior out of D*'s DVRs? I guess to rephrase, D*'s DVRs are reliably unreliable.

My screen did flash though when I hit the right arrow, but thats it... nothing else.

I also had problems with the tvapps not working. My router was an older linksys. After switching it out while troubleshooting other internet related problems, my tvapps started working.

I mentioned the tv apps not working in the CE, but it sounds like maybe its not working outside of the ce software? Anyone running the national release and having no luck with tv apps?

I mentioned the tv apps not working in the CE, but it sounds like maybe its not working outside of the ce software? Anyone running the national release and having no luck with tv apps?

I never got them to work in both CE and NR. I missed the CE window on my HR20 this weekend because my wife was watching something....I got it on my HR21. The HR20 updated to the new NR last night. I cannot get apps to work on either DVR.

--Morning shower insightful question of the day--

Anybody know or care to guess if UPNP needs to be turned on in the router to get these things to work?

I'll be chained to my desk for the next 8-10 hours, so I wont be able to test till much later in the day.

You know gang I'm sure about the software version needed to run the things. But I know that they were mentioned in my last "whats on" flyer that we get in our bill.

Last night I did a red button reset, went though the the setup menus to verify that my STB had a IP address, and was indeed connected to my home network. Everything checked out okay, and heck I could even view pics from my PC on the screen.

I thought to my self, "with all this looking good lets go for it" aaaaannnd nothing. Why should I expect reliable behavior out of D*'s DVRs? I guess to rephrase, D*'s DVRs are reliably unreliable.

My screen did flash though when I hit the right arrow, but thats it... nothing else.

I did not know that the function of the DVR was to run APPS, this is clearly an add on feature .... I don't know how you can say they are UNRELIABLE by not getting your APPS to work.
IF it doesn't work as a DVR, that's one thing

--Morning shower insightful question of the day--

Anybody know or care to guess if UPNP needs to be turned on in the router to get these things to work?

I'll be chained to my desk for the next 8-10 hours, so I wont be able to test till much later in the day.

I had read somewhere that was an issue. I enabled it on my router, but still no luck. The only thing I have not tried is giving my DVR's static IP addresses.

I did not know that the function of the DVR was to run APPS, this is clearly an add on feature .... I don't know how you can say they are UNRELIABLE by not getting your APPS to work.
IF it doesn't work as a DVR, that's one thing

Holy frijoles Batman! I've never seen the fanboy meter hit 12 before! ;)

The product has an advertised, published feature. One would expect that all of the advertised, published features would pretty much work most if not almost all of the time.

I'd actually prefer it if directv were to make the product just act like a dvr instead of having all the apps, active stuff, 95 combo button options and everything else they try to make it do.

Looks like right now, one of the features of the box stopped working with the latest release. Which they had to push out fast because the last release had a problem in it with some receiver activations because it was inadequately tested. That release was forced out because some guy in marketing decided to tell everyone that DLB was going to be released in July/August and it still wasnt ready at the end of august. By the way, thats the same marketing guy that thinks its a good idea to charge a monthly fee for MRV.

And its far from the first time that directv shot out a firmware release that wasnt adequately tested that caused major problem for the customers. Including the basic dvr feature not working, or the box not even remaining operable for more than a few hours without rebooting.

So lessons learned:

- Dont preannounce features that arent even close to ready
- If you do, dont force out a release to meet your preannouncements
- If you do, make sure its fully tested and operational, and all the piece parts at least work a little bit

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts